Canadian Premier League

ted

16 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Yeah, it's going to be painful from that aspect if this league ever launches.

I was playing around on the Canadian pyramid page on Wikipedia to see how it would look with separated Canadian and American pyramids, and it's going to be incredibly shitty if we end up with pro teams competing over four separate leagues.

soccer pyramid.png

Noticed that you left PCSL off that chart. I love it. I also like the separation of US & Canadian leagues, hopefully we'll see more teams migrate to the Canadian side of the equation and the American side can empty.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Noticed that you left PCSL off that chart. I love it. I also like the separation of US & Canadian leagues, hopefully we'll see more teams migrate to the Canadian side of the equation and the American side can empty.

I'm honestly not aware of anything that warrants some made-up D4 classification (whatever we pretend that means) or separates them from other leagues like the OSL at this point.  (Some would argue there's not a huge difference between them and L1O necessarily, but that's another argument)

PCSL's coasted along with momentum in retaining this D4 status based on its ancient history and being a cross-border league in its heyday, which is great on them, but it doesn't mean that it should have a special fan-made D4 designation today.

5 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Sooo, this either means the CPL is doomed, or the CPL is very much alive and Rollins is now the social media manager for the league. Or it means neither of those things.

I'm guessing neither. I think he would have phrased it a bit different if it was CPL related. 

Would be neat though. 

Snippet from Larson:

"BIRTH OF A LEAGUE

Prospective ownership groups in more than a dozen cities Canada-wide have shown interest in acquiring a Canadian Premier League club, the Toronto Sun has learned.

“We’ve been working on the business model,” Montagliani told the Sun. “These things take time. They’re not going to happen overnight.

“But we’ve also had expressions of interest from a significant amount of ownership groups across the country. We’re doing our due-diligence on that.”

“We should be in a position in the early part of 2017 to have letters of intent that are required to move forward with the business plan and the technical side with the league.”

While Montagliani still pegs 2018 as the desired start year for the CPL, he said the key is to first get the right model and the right people involved in setting up the league.

The start date could be pushed to 2019."

http://m.torontosun.com/2016/12/28/canada-considers-bidding-options-for-2026-world-cup

34 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Snippet from Larson:

"BIRTH OF A LEAGUE

Prospective ownership groups in more than a dozen cities Canada-wide have shown interest in acquiring a Canadian Premier League club, the Toronto Sun has learned.

“We’ve been working on the business model,” Montagliani told the Sun. “These things take time. They’re not going to happen overnight.

“But we’ve also had expressions of interest from a significant amount of ownership groups across the country. We’re doing our due-diligence on that.”

“We should be in a position in the early part of 2017 to have letters of intent that are required to move forward with the business plan and the technical side with the league.”

While Montagliani still pegs 2018 as the desired start year for the CPL, he said the key is to first get the right model and the right people involved in setting up the league.

The start date could be pushed to 2019."

http://m.torontosun.com/2016/12/28/canada-considers-bidding-options-for-2026-world-cup

Nice update. It would be a shame if the start date was moved to 2019, since a 2018 start would allow the league to ride the wave of soccer interest from the 2018 World Cup, but it'll happen when it happens I suppose.

Interesting to hear they have interest from groups in a dozen cities (I suppose that could possibly mean more than a dozen groups then), that would make recruiting good owners for 6-8 strong starting clubs much easier.

5 minutes ago, Zem said:

Nice update. It would be a shame if the start date was moved to 2019, since a 2018 start would allow the league to ride the wave of soccer interest from the 2018 World Cup, but it'll happen when it happens I suppose.

Interesting to hear they have interest from groups in a dozen cities (I suppose that could possibly mean more than a dozen groups then), that would make recruiting good owners for 6-8 strong starting clubs much easier.

A 2019 launch could tie in with a Canada hosted Gold Cup which would be a big marketing get for the league. I've said it before, the CPL is the best bet for the Gold Cup leaving the US. While unlikely, it could be in the cards.

6 minutes ago, matty said:

A 2019 launch could tie in with a Canada hosted Gold Cup which would be a big marketing get for the league. I've said it before, the CPL is the best bet for the Gold Cup leaving the US. While unlikely, it could be in the cards.

We have adequate stadia to host a GC, don't know about playing surfaces. I just hope and pray the infrastructure is in place to launch the CPL in accordance. A lot of stadiums that would be used in the CPL will need significant upgrades or even new ones built. 

I also dislike open ended stadiums for soccer, its bad for TV, and atmosphere (IMO) of that...we have BMO, Saputo, BC place, Commonwealth and Investors Field.

32 minutes ago, Zem said:

The reality is, the hype would still be there. It all depends on when the league would actually kickoff...

WC in July 2018 to CPL first kick in March 2019 ....gives a lot of time for marketing.

I'm not surprised that the potential start date has been moved to 2019.  With the new year approaching, we need to ensure that the launch is still two years away.

Anyone else remember the glory days of February when the Spec had a team owner on record expecting a formal announcement within 3-4 months?

22 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

I'm not surprised that the potential start date has been moved to 2019.  With the new year approaching, we need to ensure that the launch is still two years away.

Anyone else remember the glory days of February when the Spec had a team owner on record expecting a formal announcement within 3-4 months?

2016 really seemed like it was going to be such a magical time back then

I don't there's a lot there to get worked up about here. It's always been a concern that there is a narrowing window in which a 2018 launch is possible, but Montagliani is still saying 2018 is the goal and I don't think the recent TiCats email would have gone out saying there will be pro soccer in Hamilton in 2018 if a delay was seen as the most likely scenario by the ownership groups. Besides, 2019 isn't the worst thing that could happen at all

It's been less than a month since the meeting to ratify was supposed to take place, I don't think it's shocking to hear that the letters of intent are still not together, especially with the holidays in between.

Worst thing is that he says they need to get the model right... If that means they haven't decided on which form of centralization they are pursuing, I would be worried, but that could very well mean nitty gritty like conferences vs single table, etc, hasn't been decided. The latter wouldn’t worry me much, and it would line up with Rollins and Totera. I know they aren't perfect sources, but they have at least some weight, and it would be a weird thing to be completely off base on

If anything, Larson has been pretty critical of CPL, and him saying there is more than 12 ownership groups expressing interest without throwing in a "CPL will be PDL quality" comment is a good sign. The impression from the BSB meeting was that they had enough groups to launch, if letters of intent are coming in from those while the league actively looks for expansion targets, I don't think there's anything inconsistent with the earlier narrative. 

It sounds like they haven't sorted out the business plan yet, which would explain why nothing appears to have been ratified earlier this month. The most obvious explanation for that would be that they are still sorting out how the league will tie into MLS and the conditions attached to the recent domestic player announcement. I suspect things may not be going the way Rollins and Totera have been tweeting about over the past couple of years. Time will tell obviously. 

24 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It sounds like they haven't sorted out the business plan yet, which would explain why nothing appears to have been ratified earlier this month. The most obvious explanation for that would be that they are still sorting out how the league will tie into MLS and the conditions attached to the recent domestic player announcement. I suspect things may not be going the way Rollins and Totera have been tweeting about over the past couple of years. Time will tell obviously. 

This is obviously just speculation, but I am thinking that "business plan" and "model" are denoting different things. The business plan was supposed to be settled at the beginning of December, and Montagliani is saying that they should be ready to "move forward with the business plan" in early 2017. That doesn't sound like it is still being debated. 

Now, I have no idea what is actually included in the business plan. Rollins has repeatedly said that the overall structure of the league is set, and IIRC it was Bontis who said something similar at the BSB meeting (though those who were there as well feel free to correct me), so I don't think that is what "model" refers to. 

To me, the most obvious explanation is the one that remains consistent with the most sources. I think the narrative that they are moving forward with a small core of teams with a goal of 2018 while vetting possible expansions is the line of best fit of all information available, not discounting sources entirely simply because they might not have the whole story 

But like you said, time will tell

Business plan would be stuff like the league's structure: single entity, economics, legal department, contracts etc... (the boring stuff)

Model: rules, quotas, identity, marketing, TV, stadiums, Internet etc... ( the more interesting stuff)

Business plan should be done by now, now they should be working on shaping the league to its final product and screening those potential ownership groups to determine who they will allow in

Think Victor Montagliani uses the phrase "technical side" for what you define as the business model and that plan and model mean much the same thing in this context. The most obvious reason why the business model would take time to finalize is that there are not likely to be huge numbers of groups lining up to invest in this to the point that people can easily be turned away, if they don't agree with the CSA's vision on this, so they need to reach a consensus amongst the would be investors each of which will be trying to get the best deal they can for themselves, so they won't wind up being a periennial also ran. If you are from a large city that means you probably like an NASL approach, while if you are in a smaller market single entity looks good.

Single entity being a proven models eels like the most logical outcome

Stadium requirement could very be a contentious point. Unlikely teams who plays out of CFL stadium will tolerate teams playing out of crappie stadiums for the sake of saving money.

Quota could be another point where CPL owners and CSA visions could clash. If CSA wants 70% Canadian content to develop the program, I can see why some owner would disagree and demand more flexibility to sign more international so the quality on the field is of higher quality.

If they start in 2018, excellent but I can wait to 2019 if they must.

MLS launch was also delayed

Not liking Mont Vic's words of encouragement.  But then again, knew this route was going to take longer.  The longer the CSA and so called investors try to create this league, which might never happen, the more time Canada as a national team will suffer.  Rather than joining something more established like the USL, they think reinventing the wheel with a CPL will help us.  Frustrating honestly that the CSA is still full of hot air and people gullibly believing Rollins and Totera

Funny how people who holds the USSF leagues in so much high esteem seems to forget the bad sides of them as well.

MLS start was far from being smooth. It's ridiculous gimmicks and it almost folded numerous times. It took Beckham to get them on the soccer map. It was a 10 years pilgrimage in the desert of irrelevance

NASL is collapsing.

So yes. Maybe we do need a Canadian solution if MLS won't expand further in Canada and NASL is clearly falling apart.

USL? How is that getting us through the Hex CONSISTENTLY?

Try some patience. 

I know that I'm going to take lots of criticism for posting this type of inflammatory language, but I was deeply insulted today when Victor Montagliani made the statement that the CPL could start in 2019. It's either 2018 or bust. That's the bottom line. Otherwise this is seen as a BIG joke. I was even surprised that Voyageurs were not up-and-arms over Montagliani's comments. Voyageurs should not stand by and let the CSA do this to us. I even tweeted Anthony Totera my deep depreciating of the comments from the former CSA president. It appears that Montagliani has a tendency of consistently going back on his words. This is one of the reason why I've always had little respect for him throughout the years.

image.jpg

12 minutes ago, Pat Carrasco said:

I know that I'm going to take lots of criticism for posting this type of inflammatory language, but I was deeply insulted today when Victor Montagliani made the statement that the CPL could start in 2019. It's either 2018 or bust. That's the bottom line. Otherwise this is seen as a BIG joke. I was even surprised that Voyageurs were not up-and-arms over Montagliani's comments. Voyageurs should not stand by and let the CSA do this to us. I even tweeted Anthony Totera with my deep depreciating of the comments from the former CSA president. It appears that Montagliani has a tendency of consistently going back on his words. This is one of the reason why I've always had little respect for him throughout the years.

image.jpg

Have you ever started a league? If even the MLS couldn't start as schedule why are you saying 2018 or bust?

Most people would rather have a 10-12 team start in 2019 than only 6 teams for 2018

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Have you ever started a league? If even the MLS couldn't start as schedule why are you saying 2018 or bust?

Most people would rather have a 10-12 team start in 2019 than only 6 teams for 2018

Listen Ansem, lots of people are getting sick of this...Every year the CSA is changing the date. This is becoming a joke. If you conduct a poll, you will see that most people will turn away.

Archived