Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Oranje said:

3 hour drive makes for a long fucking day. That is essentially Calgary to Edmonton and I am not sure how many Calgarians made the trek up to Edmonton to watch the Eddies play once, let alone regularly, but I am going to venture a guess and say very, very few.

Having lived in the Maritimes, it'd be a real shame if the CPL doesn't use the rivalries between the cities when planning, even though population probably dictates otherwise. But with Sydney starting a 'tech renaissance' of sorts and hopefully kick-starting a revitalization of Cape Breton, I'd love to see the Cape Breton (real) Highlanders vs. Halifax Explosion a few years down the line after CPL kicks off.

Attempting to get this back to track, I can say that in the 7 years the Eddies have been around, I've made the trek once, and once more for the Canada/China WWC game. Part of that is due to the less than hospitable welcoming I received from the ESG, even though I've met many more ESG since, and they have all been great to get to know. I know @madmonte has made the 6 hour trip trip a few times, and has made the 3 hour trip to Calgary for Foothills games a number of times, but he's also way more dedicated than I am.

Point is, the majority of people are like me; willing to spend 2-3 hours on a game, but not have it turn into a 10-12 hour day trip. I don't think any CPL clubs can expect large regional presences outside of perhaps bedroom communities.

Also, Cape Breton Highlanders name is taken by the NBL Canada team in Sydney. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/basketball-cbl-franchise-ownership-1.3740928

Hopefully this is the right thread to post this, as it seems to be the CPL catch-all. If not please move accordingly.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to join to offer support and a few thoughts as a non-soccer fan. I've been following CPL news on here for a few months now. First, I'd like to lead off by saying that I would be incredibly thrilled for Canada to have it's own soccer league. In fact this may be the one thing that would get me to watch soccer on a regular basis is if Hamilton gets a team and the league goes off like many here have hoped. Ideally as standalone teams without MLS B teams, or even "affiliates". I think this country could use a bit more national pride in our domestic sporting endeavours, and need to get past the idea of being tied to the United States.

I say this as huge CFL fan. I was never a football fan until a friend took me to a couple Tiger-Cats games, and then once I was done school I started buying tickets on my own, increasingly until this year when I bought seasons tickets. I think the same thing can happen with soccer. As people have seen in Toronto with TFC, once you go and have a great time you will want to keep going. And there are enough people who don't live in the "big three" that if they had the option of a legitimate, top level Canadian league team in town they'd go. I certainly will once Hamilton starts playing. And I've probably watched a combined total of one soccer game in the last four years. I'm sure there are many more like me that can be pulled in. 

I also think people will like the option of not having to cheer for Toronto, just cus they're the nearest team. I spent years trying to get into the Leafs or Blue Jays, but just couldn't make myself really care. But the Cats are MY team, in (kind of) MY city. It's a level of personal investment that comes from being local.

One last note. I know it seems like an uphill battle for soccer fans in this country. But I'd like to say, as first and foremost a rugby fan, that I can only look on in envy at what you guys have. 

5 hours ago, Oranje said:

3 hour drive makes for a long fucking day. That is essentially Calgary to Edmonton and I am not sure how many Calgarians made the trek up to Edmonton to watch the Eddies play once, let alone regularly, but I am going to venture a guess and say very, very few.

Having lived in the Maritimes, it'd be a real shame if the CPL doesn't use the rivalries between the cities when planning, even though population probably dictates otherwise. But with Sydney starting a 'tech renaissance' of sorts and hopefully kick-starting a revitalization of Cape Breton, I'd love to see the Cape Breton (real) Highlanders vs. Halifax Explosion a few years down the line after CPL kicks off.

Lol! I said within 3 hour drive. That still leaves a lot of people in between hahaha

I don't know about you guys but driving an hour at 120 km/h passes me off way less than commuting for over an hour from and to exhibition due to traffic when I live in the same freaking city :wacko:

40 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Lol! I said within 3 hour drive. That still leaves a lot of people in between hahaha

I don't know about you guys but driving an hour at 120 km/h passes me off way less than commuting for over an hour from and to exhibition due to traffic when I live in the same freaking city :wacko:

Ain't that the truth! Is there anything like the GO train out east? 

8 hours ago, Tigers said:

Hopefully this is the right thread to post this, as it seems to be the CPL catch-all. If not please move accordingly.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to join to offer support and a few thoughts as a non-soccer fan. I've been following CPL news on here for a few months now. First, I'd like to lead off by saying that I would be incredibly thrilled for Canada to have it's own soccer league. In fact this may be the one thing that would get me to watch soccer on a regular basis is if Hamilton gets a team and the league goes off like many here have hoped. Ideally as standalone teams without MLS B teams, or even "affiliates". I think this country could use a bit more national pride in our domestic sporting endeavours, and need to get past the idea of being tied to the United States.

I say this as huge CFL fan. I was never a football fan until a friend took me to a couple Tiger-Cats games, and then once I was done school I started buying tickets on my own, increasingly until this year when I bought seasons tickets. I think the same thing can happen with soccer. As people have seen in Toronto with TFC, once you go and have a great time you will want to keep going. And there are enough people who don't live in the "big three" that if they had the option of a legitimate, top level Canadian league team in town they'd go. I certainly will once Hamilton starts playing. And I've probably watched a combined total of one soccer game in the last four years. I'm sure there are many more like me that can be pulled in. 

I also think people will like the option of not having to cheer for Toronto, just cus they're the nearest team. I spent years trying to get into the Leafs or Blue Jays, but just couldn't make myself really care. But the Cats are MY team, in (kind of) MY city. It's a level of personal investment that comes from being local.

One last note. I know it seems like an uphill battle for soccer fans in this country. But I'd like to say, as first and foremost a rugby fan, that I can only look on in envy at what you guys have. 

From another rugby fan, welcome aboard.  

"first and foremost a rugby fan, that I can only look on in envy at what you guys have"  You can say that again.  Please feel free to comment on the 90° climb that rugby has in this country in the "off topic discussion" section.

If the CPL is successful, I'm going to be envious of people who don't live in the "big three."  I'd much rather watch a local team play in our own league than watch ten (plus one) guys in Whitecaps kits stand around on a pitch with a map trying to find a goal in MLS.

1 hour ago, Pqhbv said:

That Log Driver's Waltz brought back so many memories. Nostalgia feels all warm and fuzzy sometimes. Thank you for that @SuperCanuck 

You're very welcome.  It reminds me of the days of Eaton's, stubby beer bottles, the Stastny brothers playing for the Nordiques and when the CBC would sign off before everything became 24 hours.

I always thought the chorus would make a good tune for a chant.

with new people coming into the fold, I'd just like to point out - the internet has given all of us a way to communicate in order to make the league launch really special, all across the country.  In a way that didn't exist last time this was attempted.  

We still have a bit of time, but I'd like to start tossing ideas around now, because 2018 will creep up on us faster than we think.  There's lots to be (potentially) done between now and then.

@Neil Koheil found this poster and it's been giving me a few ideas on how to coordinate launch so literally the entire country knows its coming(which should be the obvious goal)

15390919_10154176388991033_7803053671130

Basically, the idea it gave me was something along the lines of Gullivers Travels - sort of "Wake the Sleeping Giant" sort of idea.  Could have a bunch of little guys running around with each provincial/territorial flag

16154584.jpg

Thoughts?

I'm still amazed we have the second oldest continuous SA(FA) in the world! maybe the giant should be emerging out of a thawing glacier. I feel like the CPL will have to involve as many people as possible, supporters, artists. community engagement/investment. socially responsible, things that endear people to them and set them apart. and of course, patience

28 minutes ago, Neil Koheil said:

I'm still amazed we have the second oldest continuous SA(FA) in the world! maybe the giant should be emerging out of a thawing glacier. I feel like the CPL will have to involve as many people as possible, supporters, artists. community engagement/investment. socially responsible, things that endear people to them and set them apart. and of course, patience

Drake for the team in the 6....or 905, whatever it happens to be.

Archived