Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, masster said:

As a name, lets hope it is not.

The perception of this league will be that it is behind MLS, so calling it Premier will not make it so. Also, something that is not a blatant ripoff of the most popular league in the world would be preferred.

You do know there are other leagues around the world with the name "Premier League" besides the English one right?

That name sounds horrible.  It closely resembles the CPSL which in itself wasn't a great marketing league.  I would've preferred CLS (Canadian League Soccer) or CULS (Canadian United Leagues of Soccer). I think thats more catchy.  If NASL status is were there that then I'll bet they'll create  a NASL hybrid league.  Having only 6-8 teams in this league will get boring like thr CFL is in thr major Canadian markets.  Need to have American teams like NASL to get more players playing time.

Canadian Super League (CSL) 

Canadian Top League (CTL) 

Canadian National League (CNL) 

National Canadian League (NCL) 

Canadian First Division (CFD) 

Canadian Pro League (CPL) 

Pro Canadian League (PCL) 

Major Canadian League (MCL) 

Canada League One (CLO) 

United Canadian League (UCL) 

Yea I'll take the Canadian Premier League. 

This league could be sustainable in condition that it obtains a broadcast deal (à la CFL). Rollins has said this time and time again. For this reason the role of the CFL is huge here. In fact, a project like this will only really work with CFL backing as they'd share stadiums amongst other things. 

10 hours ago, masster said:

The perception of this league will be that it is behind MLS, so calling it Premier will not make it so. Also, something that is not a blatant ripoff of the most popular league in the world would be preferred.

It's nowhere near as stupid as the former Great Lakes Soccer League renaming themselves the "Premier League of America."

Also, while checking for sure the name of the league, I found out there's also a Florida-based league called the "American Premier Soccer League."

If the CPL is truly Canadian (ie, more-or-less coast-to-coast, and not just regional), I think it's a fine name.

I like sound of Canadian Premier League over C-League.   

CPL would be Canada's best soccer league so it's fitting to add Premier to league's name.   

I am wondering if MLS markets (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver) would be part of Canadian Premier League.    

Canadian Premier League is fine, I like CPL for short. Calling it "The Premier League" people are going to assume you are talking about EPL, so at least we can say CPL and people will think of our league.

It looks like this is going to happen, but very small chance it will happen in 2017. I will be happy to have it official in the coming months and starting in 2018 at this point.

I still am a firm believer that you add the 3 USL PRO (TFC II FC Montreal and Whitecaps II) in the league along with FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury. Those are 5 clubs already in existence that can carry the league. That is the only reasonable way that you can get the three big markets into the league as if you put different clubs in those cities they become redundant and I doubt people would go.

Add three of Hamilton / Calgary / Winnipeg / Regina / London / Moncton and you are at 8 teams in the league.

I too was initially disappointed about the name but frankly they have little choice. Nothing else is available or conveys their aspirations so clearly.  It may be the butt of a few jokes amongst the euro-sceptics who pooh-pooh anything less than English, Italian or German first division FOOTBALL as a failure, but at this point we don't really need them any more.

18 hours ago, masster said:

First off....it's not a ripoff. It's common that the top league in a country be named the Premier League, not just the English Premier League. How common you ask?

Second, technically MLS isn't part of our soccer pyramid. It's the top US soccer league, we just have some of our teams playing there with our association's permission. Similar to the Welsh Premier League has some of it's best teams playing in the English Premier League.

I got no problem with it, especially with our affiliation with the commonwealth.

If I am not mistaken, besides Wales, the above are all the highest levels of football that are played in those countries. In Canada that would not be the case.

We might not think so, but when you are starting something new and need general buy in, perception is very important. Calling it a Premier League and making that obvious comparison is setting up for a let down. Go with something different.

Canada League One
National Soccer League
Canadian National Championship

Whatever. My personal feeling is just leave Premier out.

1 hour ago, masster said:

If I am not mistaken, besides Wales, the above are all the highest levels of football that are played in those countries. In Canada that would not be the case.

We might not think so, but when you are starting something new and need general buy in, perception is very important. Calling it a Premier League and making that obvious comparison is setting up for a let down. Go with something different.

Canada League One
National Soccer League

Yes it would be, because MLS is not a Canadian League, neither is NASL or the USL.They are sanctioned by the USSF and are US leagues. Soccer isn't "being played" in Canada. It's being played in the US, they just happen to visit Canada every once in a while and our teams happen to visit their league and play there with the USSF's approval.

It's the same reason why if a Canadian team won the MLS Cup or the Shield, they wouldn't qualify for the CONCAAF Champion's league through it. The spot in the Champion's league for MLS are US spots. It's why our representative is the winner of the Voyaguer's cup. It's also why Welsh teams playing in the English Premier league don't qualify for the UEFA champion's league, as those spots are allocated to England. Only the winners of the Welsh Premier league make it.

The top level of Canadian soccer being played right now is technically League One Ontario and the Quebec Premier League.

However, due to the low level of play, and the fact that the Canadian soccer pyramid has been a painful mess the CSA just opts to only accept what it feels are it's best "Division 1 and 2 quality" teams for it's Champion's league tournament, the Voyageurs Cup/Canadian Championship Tournament; even if it doesn't have a Division 1 or 2 league of it's own. The fact that they are all "US travelling vagabond" teams is beside the point. If the CSA suddenly feels that this new league has a level high enough to warrant inclusion in the Voyaguers Cup tournament, they put them in. It's very similar to how the FA Cup runs parallel to the premier league.

Heck, if the CSA wanted to, it could tell the MLS and NASL teams "Only teams playing in Canadian Leagues get to play for the CONCAAF berth" (like how Wales does with their UEFA berth) it's their option to do so. They likely wouldn't, because they make money off V.Cup and champion's league games and you want the biggest, most profitable teams in it typically, but it's their option.

The point is, this new league would be better then League 1 Ontario or the Quebec Premier League, so yeah...technically it would be the highest level soccer league in the country.

15 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Whilst I nevertheless find the name quite pretentious I am forced to concede that I have not seen anything I like better. It is definitely catchy.

Yeah, the Canadian Football League is a recipe for a lawsuit (and likely not to go over well with the potential backers of this league) and the Canadian Soccer League is a criminal association everyone would like to avoid.

As far as the other names

1 hour ago, masster said:

Canada League One
National Soccer League

Canada League One - You then have the association then with the 3rd tier of English soccer, Football League One and the association with League One Ontario which some have found...lacking. That said though, this is probably still the best of the lot, as it does run similar to the Italian Serie A and French Ligue 1.

National Soccer League - This is a let down, not only is it generic and unimaginative, it was the former name of the Canadian Soccer League..which yeah. You want to market yourself as Canadian, not generically because you want generic, MLS is right there with more cash.

Canadian National Championship - Would cause confusion with the exsisting Voyaguers Cup/Canadian Championship tournament.

Like you said though, personal feeling, and everyone will have differing opinions on the subject. Those are mine on the other three.

27 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

Yes it would be, because MLS is not a Canadian League, neither is NASL or the USL.They are sanctioned by the USSF and are US leagues. Soccer isn't "being played" in Canada. It's being played in the US, they just happen to visit Canada every once in a while and our teams happen to visit their league and play there with the USSF's approval.

It's the same reason why if a Canadian team won the MLS Cup or the Shield, they wouldn't qualify for the CONCAAF Champion's league through it. The spot in the Champion's league for MLS are US spots. It's why our representative is the winner of the Voyaguer's cup. It's also why Welsh teams playing in the English Premier league don't qualify for the UEFA champion's league, as those spots are allocated to England. Only the winners of the Welsh Premier league make it.

The top level of Canadian soccer being played right now is technically League One Ontario and the Quebec Premier League.

However, due to the low level of play, and the fact that the Canadian soccer pyramid has been a painful mess the CSA just opts to only accept what it feels are it's best "Division 1 and 2 quality" teams for it's Champion's league tournament, the Voyageurs Cup/Canadian Championship Tournament; even if it doesn't have a Division 1 or 2 league of it's own. The fact that they are all "US travelling vagabond" teams is beside the point. If the CSA suddenly feels that this new league has a level high enough to warrant inclusion in the Voyaguers Cup tournament, they put them in. It's very similar to how the FA Cup runs parallel to the premier league.

Heck, if the CSA wanted to, it could tell the MLS and NASL teams "Only teams playing in Canadian Leagues get to play for the CONCAAF berth" (like how Wales does with their UEFA berth) it's their option to do so. They likely wouldn't, because they make money off V.Cup and champion's league games and you want the biggest, most profitable teams in it typically, but it's their option.

The point is, this new league would be better then League 1 Ontario or the Quebec Premier League, so yeah...technically it would be the highest level soccer league in the country.

Liked your points but just for clarification. Welsh teams can qualify for Europe through the English Pyramid. Swansea won the League cup and played in the Europa League the following season (2013-14). They lost to Napoli in the Round of 32.

14 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Liked your points but just for clarification. Welsh teams can qualify for Europe through the English Pyramid. Swansea won the League cup and played in the Europa League the following season (2013-14). They lost to Napoli in the Round of 32.

True. but they qualified for the Europa league, not the UEFA Champions League (whose winner eventually plays for the Club World Cup which really is the ultimate goal for a football club in my eyes) and didn't go through the Premier League. Still, your point does stand. I was mistaken.

1 hour ago, -Hammer- said:

Come on. When I go watch the Whitecaps play at BC Place, I don't have my passport on me and I'm not leaving these borders. So yes, that soccer is being played in Canada.

Besides that, I will agree with you on the personal preference part. So be it.

From Duane Rollins on Reddit:

• Ottawa is part of the planning of this CPL and will join it
  • Edmonton wants to stay in NASL and is pissed about this league
  • Hamilton Ti-cats are part of this
  • Expect CFL cities minus Edmonton (What are the chances here that the Edmonton Eskimos or the Oilers buy off FC Edmonton from the Fath brothers?)
  • Toronto and Vancouver ownerships are the current stumbling block 
  • 8 teams expected. 6 solidly committed now. 2017 start expected 

Actually, I was expecting for 10 teams (which includes the following cities: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City). I'm seriously hoping that Regina and Quebec City are part of this scheme. Now aside from Edmonton, Toronto and Vancouver, who are these 6 committed cities? Anyone has an idea?

Archived