Canadian Premier League

ted

On 1/29/2016 at 0:18 AM, Futballer said:

There are a few Investors whom were interested and were scared off by comments of losing large amount of their investment year after year after year, these comments are actually turning away potential investments. 

The CPL Business plan has actually shown break even in year 1 and year 2 of operations and profitability in year 3 to 5. In year 1 and 2 profitability was limited by the restriction on new franchises, In the third year of operation the league will be open for expansion or Franchise sale.

people making comments on message boards do not turn off serious investors

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Coramoor said:

Maybe Futballer is referring to comments from elsewhere. I've heard the idea that investors need to be in for the long haul and it might be a 5-10yr money loser from several pundits and read it in articles as well. 

16 hours ago, Coramoor said:

So what do you think has been the problem with finding new investors from stepping to the forefront to invest in a Canadian Pro-soccer League. 

On my research only i can show, over 20 qualified investors thats would look at a league budget that if it does not show a profit will not place their money to invest. Example of this is the much publisized  CFL interest in attempting to  invest into the C-League, quite frankly they are turned off by the idea that they must unload millions of dollars before they even get the opportunity of earning a penny from their investment. 

The C-league/CPL was that close to launching in 2015,it had the support of yes cooperate Canada until some internet idiots claim of hole in the budgets send us back to the table to provide more options to assure the CPL would be profitable in its infancy stage. 

36 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Maybe Futballer is referring to comments from elsewhere. I've heard the idea that investors need to be in for the long haul and it might be a 5-10yr money loser from several pundits and read it in articles as well. 

read these same articles also along with those that have wrote on message boards negative financial forecast. these articles and comments are not good for the C- League. 

39 minutes ago, Futballer said:

So what do you think has been the problem with finding new investors from stepping to the forefront to invest in a Canadian Pro-soccer League. 

On my research only i can show, over 20 qualified investors thats would look at a league budget that if it does not show a profit will not place their money to invest. Example of this is the much publisized  CFL interest in attempting to  invest into the C-League, quite frankly they are turned off by the idea that they must unload millions of dollars before they even get the opportunity of earning a penny from their investment. 

The C-league/CPL was that close to launching in 2015,it had the support of yes cooperate Canada until some internet idiots claim of hole in the budgets send us back to the table to provide more options to assure the CPL would be profitable in its infancy stage. 

This tells me just about all I need to know about your business acumen.

Any sports league in Canada has to deal with a ton of high fixed or virtually fixed costs when compared to the rest of the world. Combining these costs with the complete unknown of soccer success in a lot of the necessary regions and you have a tough sell to begin with. CFL involvement is inevitable because they have the stadiums and another 14+ dates is a boon to the stadium owners, whether it's the CFL team or the city. Starting a league by 2015 would've been a huge risk especially when you consider that there is no real downside to waiting and making sure you have all the bases fully covered, waiting longer also gives more time for Canadian players to move through L1O and the various academies that exist, expanding the player pool. 

When it comes to return on your investment, sports are a horrible idea. Every owner who gets involved in this project will be doing so because they have a passion for soccer or need to add more dates to their stadiums. A lot of these owners would also already understand the potential costs as it wouldn't be that different from operating a CFL team, a bit cheaper but also with potentially significantly lower revenue at the start.

14 minutes ago, Futballer said:

read these same articles also along with those that have wrote on message boards negative financial forecast. these articles and comments are not good for the C- League. 

These articles are irrelevant. Nobody with the type of money to invest in a project like this is going to be taking the word of journalists and internet commentators over their own staff and advisers who do this thing for a living.

You've also yet to provide any sourcing or details of who you are or where you have received all of this information from

3 hours ago, Futballer said:

The level of confidence our investors has in the C-League earning a profit and  increased revenues over the time frame of 5 - 10 years is very important to acquiring  their investment dollars.

Futballer I have a proposition for you. I host a podcast that focuses on Canadian soccer. We are huge proponents of a possible Canadian league. I'm very curious about what you are saying, but it's hard to know if you're legit or not with so little information. Regardless, we'd be very interested in talking to you. If you give @FrTheBlackHole a follow on Twitter I will follow you back and you can DM me, or email us at black.hole.soccer at gmail dot com. We would protect your anonymity and would keep discussions off the record if you wished. 

If you are not interested that is no problem. 

26 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Futballer I have a proposition for you. I host a podcast that focuses on Canadian soccer. We are huge proponents of a possible Canadian league. I'm very curious about what you are saying, but it's hard to know if you're legit or not with so little information. Regardless, we'd be very interested in talking to you. If you give @FrBlackHole a follow on Twitter I will follow you back and you can DM me, or email us at black.hole.soccer at gmail dot com. We would protect your anonymity and would keep discussions off the record if you wished. 

is that twitter handle right? I can't find you anywhere on twitter

4 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Futballer I have a proposition for you. I host a podcast that focuses on Canadian soccer. We are huge proponents of a possible Canadian league. I'm very curious about what you are saying, but it's hard to know if you're legit or not with so little information. Regardless, we'd be very interested in talking to you. If you give @FrTheBlackHole a follow on Twitter I will follow you back and you can DM me, or email us at black.hole.soccer at gmail dot com. We would protect your anonymity and would keep discussions off the record if you wished. 

At the moment lets focus on promoting the idea of our own League properly: knowing whom i am should not be a factor as its more beneficial to the C- League to know we all want and are willing to support a Canadian Pro-soccer league. 

There are thousands of youths players graduating our pyramid of play each year yet we speak about League 1 ontario developing their ability further. Cant you all see that`s still not enough, League 1 Ontario and League 1 Quebec cannot contain the amount of graduates per year,

League 1 Ontario  and League 1 Quebec is still operating as an amateur League so interest is quite low in terms of fans attendance. 

To Continue at this pace will only see a decline in participation as more and more parents are making the determination that there is not a Future in the sports for their children,concentrating on academics is a far better options for our young Canadian players.

Players of elite quality are dropping the sport of Soccer early before they reach 11 years old. Looking at youths league around there are less division`s now than they were 5 years ago.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 6:48 PM, Coramoor said:

Serious investors do market research however, and that does include looking at what potential customers think. In this day and age, that does include (but not limited too of course) looking at what is being said on social media, message boards and blogs. While nobody would take any guidance on financial viability from a bunch of clowns on the internet, they most certainly do try to find out if their potential customers will actually buy a ticket (I will buy season tickets & copious amounts of merchandise btw, whether located in Regina or Saskatoon :)). Given that the V's would have to be considered part of the base demographic of such a venture, and that there actually does seem to be some basis to believe the venture is/was actively contemplated, you can bet the house that someone doing the research has checked out the threads here.

7 minutes ago, zeelaw said:

Anyone else excited for this league when it eventually lands in Football Manager?

Definitely.

I really hope KW can find a way into this league sooner rather than later. 10th most populous city in Canada and United keeps losing our top talent to full-time paid gigs.

35 minutes ago, Areathrasher said:

Huge news.  Amazing.  

Hamilton will have a team, probably the flagship team, in the new Canadian Premier Soccer League which is expected to begin play as early as next year.

The league — called the Canadian Premier League and fully sanctioned by FIFA, the sports global governing body — will start with six to eight teams with deep-pocketed ownership, including Young.

"Basically, it will be a CFL-NHL mix of ownership," McGrane told The Spectator.

McGrane did say an official announcement of the formation of the league would likely occur within four months.

As well, there is a possibility of developing a full education program tied to the soccer team, eventually leading to things like an MBA program to develop soccer management and executives.

"We want to Canadianize the whole league, not just the players," McGrane said. "We're looking at a whole culture of executives, managers and so forth. We don't want to import them."

While there will be foreign players in the league, there will also be a minimum quota of Canadian players each team is required to use.

The concept was first reported by The Spectator two years ago and if it is passed, as expected, at the Canadian Soccer Association's annual general meeting in May, the CSA will be a partner in the Canadian Premier League.

14 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well, a main newspaper is reporting this based on a presentation by John McGrane to Hamilton city council. Anyone else doubting that the league is not being planned?

Seriously, for all those who didn't believe this would happen, where do you stand now? Although not certain this is confirmation from a major paper, about a major investor, and an acknowledgment in public. 

19 minutes ago, mserson said:

Seriously, for all those who didn't believe this would happen, where do you stand now? Although not certain this is confirmation from a major paper, about a major investor, and an acknowledgment in public. 

It's being planned. That's a long way from having happened.

iwanttobelieve.jpg

Archived