Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, 

I open this topic to talk about the project of the new Canadian soccer league. If anybody who has exclusive information about the teams involved or any date, whatever related to this league, you can post it there.

Honeslty I hope there will be from 8-12 teams. 10 would be good for a beginning. I don't expect every team to be fully professional, since even in european 1st division clubs, some players are amateurs (like in Belgium). I hope there will be more semi-pro leagues to have a full 2nd divsion: BC, Prairies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba), Ontario, Québec, Maritimes (PEI, NB, NS, NFL). I think that each tema in the 1st division should have a reserve team in the 2nd div playing in a provincial semi-pro. Each team in D1 should have an Academy so we would have 10 big academies in Canada. These teams can even be linked to local college and high school. A fulll pyramid linked together should be setted for a sustainable league that can provide a new generations of soccer players. 

I think that the clubs should have some partenership with some foreign clubs to loan the players during our winter and to get some players loaned.

What are you expecting from this league and frome the CSA (I hope they will take a look on this topic)?

PS: Sorry for my English, I'm a French speaking

31 minutes ago, mtlsab said:

Hi, 

I open this topic to talk about the project of the new Canadian soccer league. If anybody who has exclusive information about the teams involved or any date, whatever related to this league, you can post it there.

Honeslty I hope there will be from 8-12 teams. 10 would be good for a beginning. I don't expect every team to be fully professional, since even in european 1st division clubs, some players are amateurs (like in Belgium). I hope there will be more semi-pro leagues to have a full 2nd divsion: BC, Prairies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba), Ontario, Québec, Maritimes (PEI, NB, NS, NFL). I think that each tema in the 1st division should have a reserve team in the 2nd div playing in a provincial semi-pro. Each team in D1 should have an Academy so we would have 10 big academies in Canada. These teams can even be linked to local college and high school. A fulll pyramid linked together should be setted for a sustainable league that can provide a new generations of soccer players. 

I think that the clubs should have some partenership with some foreign clubs to loan the players during our winter and to get some players loaned.

What are you expecting from this league and frome the CSA (I hope they will take a look on this topic)?

PS: Sorry for my English, I'm a French speaking

that all sounds good,but like anything that takes money and people to put in the work.Not sure Canada has enough investors to make those two ingredients meet.

Are you talking about the Canadian Premier League which we have been discussing for over a year already in a variety of threads including:

The new Canadian pro-soccer league will be called the "Canadian Premier League" (CPL)

Montagliani’s vision: A Canadian Division 1A that “coexists” with MLS, NASL

BREAKING NEWS: C-League news and what cities will be involved

I guess another topic won't hurt. :P

1 hour ago, ted said:

Are you talking about the Canadian Premier League which we have been discussing for over a year already in a variety of threads including:

The new Canadian pro-soccer league will be called the "Canadian Premier League" (CPL)

The more topics we have the more real it seems. MOAR DISCUSSION THREADS!!!

5 hours ago, ted said:

Yeah but the other topics where about an article. I created this topic to put all the new regarding this new league and talk about our expectations!

Jim Brennan on Reddit said this:
"I am hearing that it wont be long until Canada has its own pro league. I am not sure if we have the player pool right now to support it. MLS has made a big impact on Canadian soccer and the NASL is playing a role for development in Edmonton as well as Ottawa. I would like to see more Canadian teams join MLS but who knows what the plan is. The other problem is cost of travel because the country is so big."

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/42t33m/i_am_jim_brennan_ama/

For what it's worth, Jimmy B thinks we should max out the US model (more teams in MLS, presumably NASL/USL as well).  Yes, a C-League would be cool.  Is that enough?  No.  Our player development model may be better served by maxing out the space in US leagues (Hamilton, Calgary going for NASL, etc), and Jimmy's exposure to the youth scene here has likely informed his opinion.

^ I think Jim is making the exact mistake we warned about two, or was it three, years ago when Montigliani started all this "1A" nonsense. He assumes it will actually be a D1 when as anyone paying attention knows it will be a D2. Our top players will generally NOT play in this league nor will the league draw the numbers that the MLS teams are doing - which is fine BTW.

Now the problem is, if he can make this sort of mistake how on earth are they going to deal with potential sponsors who can barely tell the difference between "football" and football?

On 2016-01-27 at 3:29 PM, Ruffian said:

Jim Brennan on Reddit said this:
"I am hearing that it wont be long until Canada has its own pro league. I am not sure if we have the player pool right now to support it.

He's right. We don't have a player pool that would support a quality league with a 70% Canadian player requirement that everyone keeps floating around.

19 minutes ago, matty said:

He's right. We don't have a player pool that would support a quality league with a 70% Canadian player requirement that everyone keeps floating around.

We have more than enough players. Just check this list www.fussballeh.ca . We are talking about a league with maybe 8 teams to start. I don't agree with that quota necessarily, but the argument that we don't have enough players is invalid.

23 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

We have more than enough players. Just check this list www.fussballeh.ca . We are talking about a league with maybe 8 teams to start. I don't agree with that quota necessarily, but the argument that we don't have enough players is invalid.

A player pool of Elite footballers will be readily available once the Canadian Premier League AKA the C League is launched. All cost concerns of traveling from cost to coast has been identified and solved through the financial Business plan the group has developed. 

All Concerns of quality of play has been identified and met with the cpl competitive salary structure which will rival that of Major league soccer.

We cannot always assume that  a group of  Knowledgeable soccer Business men will not think of solving all of the previous difficulties we had launching and operating a Canadian Professional Soccer league.

We must now concentrate and promote Canadian Pro-Soccer league only to realize our goal of having a League of our own.  

42 minutes ago, Futballer said:

A player pool of Elite footballers will be readily available once the Canadian Premier League AKA the C League is launched. All cost concerns of traveling from cost to coast has been identified and solved through the financial Business plan the group has developed. 

All Concerns of quality of play has been identified and met with the cpl competitive salary structure which will rival that of Major league soccer.

We cannot always assume that  a group of  Knowledgeable soccer Business men will not think of solving all of the previous difficulties we had launching and operating a Canadian Professional Soccer league.

We must now concentrate and promote Canadian Pro-Soccer league only to realize our goal of having a League of our own.  

Lol, and you're in the know? Don't get me wrong, I prefer positivity to a lot of the cynical shit that gets posted here, but I am curious to know where you're coming from.

3 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

We have enough players presuming the league pays enough to entice Canadians playing in lower Euro leagues to come home.  Rollins says they will pay higher than NASL average, which I think is actually more than they need to.  Pay comparable to NASL and make sure you are a step up from USL in pay and that would be a decent place to start. 

Jason

My point is there are many more difficult challenges to overcome, than our player pool. Have a little pride and open your eyes. There are so many Canadians trying to make it Pro, who can't find a club in international leagues, because of their passport. I mean look at David Monsalve, he has to play in Guatemala for god's sake.

The biggest challenge, in my view, e.g. would be to find investors willing to put up large sums of money and willing to lose even more money for at least the first 5-10 years, if not longer...

1 hour ago, Fussball_eh said:

My point is there are many more difficult challenges to overcome, thea our player pool. Have a little pride and open your eyes. There are so many Canadians trying to make it Pro, who can't find a club in international leagues, because of their passport. I mean look at David Monsalve, he has to play in Guatemala for god's sake.

The biggest challenge, in my view, e.g. would be to find investors willing to put up large sums of money and willing to lose even more money for at least the first 5-10 years, if not longer...

And thats the reason why the C-league will never get off the ground.  Canada doesn't have a Kraft, Anchwitz?? And Hunt, willing to lose in the hundreds of millions to futbol off the ground.  There's a reason why MLS survived for so long.  Any other investors would've closed the league down in its initial stages.  I agree with Jimmy B that there aren't enough "quality" players to form C-league teams.  You gotta start small with USL and NASL before taking anothet step.  In reality, we're in better shape in development then after the 2000 Gold Cup win, where we relied on the older generation to keep Canada competitive.

1 hour ago, Fussball_eh said:

My point is there are many more difficult challenges to overcome, thea our player pool. Have a little pride and open your eyes. There are so many Canadians trying to make it Pro, who can't find a club in international leagues, because of their passport. I mean look at David Monsalve, he has to play in Guatemala for god's sake.

There are a few Investors whom were interested and were scared off by comments of losing large amount of their investment year after year after year, these comments are actually turning away potential investments. 

The CPL Business plan has actually shown break even in year 1 and year 2 of operations and profitability in year 3 to 5. In year 1 and 2 profitability was limited by the restriction on new franchises, In the third year of operation the league will be open for expansion or Franchise sale.

There are a lot of talented Canadian footballers. Quality would be the worst in season one, due to the best Canadians (willing to play C-League) being tied up in contracts in other countries, but many would return home if the pay was decent.

There are also many players in the provincial/regional levels who are good enough to play USL and even NASL, but choose not to due to the necessity of having to relocate to live a different city. Put a C-League side in their city and they'd be up for it.

Soccer is the number-one participatory sport in Canada, and soccer is one of the fastest growing spectator-sports in North America. The gap between the two is shrinking every year.

If I was a rich person with enough money to support 5-10 years of losses, investing in a Canadian league would be a no-brainer for me. I'd be sniffing around for investment partners, as well as scouting land site to build a soccer-specific stadium as close to the downtown and/or public transit as possible.

TV deals are great, but don't forget that during the early MLS years the league was paying (not being paid, but paying) ABC to televise couple of matches each year. Baby steps and long-term planning here, please.

1 hour ago, Futballer said:

There are a few Investors whom were interested and were scared off by comments of losing large amount of their investment year after year after year, these comments are actually turning away potential investments. 

The CPL Business plan has actually shown break even in year 1 and year 2 of operations and profitability in year 3 to 5. In year 1 and 2 profitability was limited by the restriction on new franchises, In the third year of operation the league will be open for expansion or Franchise sale.

This is like a message from inside the star chamber or something. 

8 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

This is like a message from inside the star chamber or something. 

The message is from Canadian voyageurs Enterprise (C-League) mandate to go where star ship enterprise (MLS) has taken course and  form our own voyage space station. 

the warning that i would like to purvey is that one should not speculate on numbers which is not proven to conclude that a C-Pro soccer league would suffer losses for it first years of operation before becoming profitable. these speculation are unfounded when you place  proper numbers projection together. 

The C- league has a minimum stadium occupancy of 10,000 seats, so stadium such as swangard mini stadium would have to add seating to be considered for the C-League, A stadium such as Lamport stadium would be an ideal location for the Toronto franchise, furthermore in an agreement prior to FC edmonton, and Ottawa Fury entering the NASL they both made a promise that, should a Canadian League becomes operational they would join and be a part.of The Canadian Pro Soccer league. 

So lets stop all speculation about League profitability, will Ottawa or FCE Join the C-League, will the players earn proper wages, the answer to all those question is YES!!!! YES!!!! YES !!!!! 

We need to go warp speed to catch up to the MLS as we are 20 years behind them in developments, we have the Business minded professionals to accomplish the task. 

The CSA also propose the Idea of the Division 1A in Canada which is a compromise to the MLS Franchises in Canada.

Hopefully all is clear so we all can concentrate on Building our own League for 2017: 

1 hour ago, Futballer said:

The message is from Canadian voyageurs Enterprise (C-League) mandate to go where star ship enterprise (MLS) has taken course and  form our own voyage space station. 

the warning that i would like to purvey is that one should not speculate on numbers which is not proven to conclude that a C-Pro soccer league would suffer losses for it first years of operation before becoming profitable. these speculation are unfounded when you place  proper numbers projection together. 

The C- league has a minimum stadium occupancy of 10,000 seats, so stadium such as swangard mini stadium would have to add seating to be considered for the C-League, A stadium such as Lamport stadium would be an ideal location for the Toronto franchise, furthermore in an agreement prior to FC edmonton, and Ottawa Fury entering the NASL they both made a promise that, should a Canadian League becomes operational they would join and be a part.of The Canadian Pro Soccer league. 

So lets stop all speculation about League profitability, will Ottawa or FCE Join the C-League, will the players earn proper wages, the answer to all those question is YES!!!! YES!!!! YES !!!!! 

We need to go warp speed to catch up to the MLS as we are 20 years behind them in developments, we have the Business minded professionals to accomplish the task. 

The CSA also propose the Idea of the Division 1A in Canada which is a compromise to the MLS Franchises in Canada.

Hopefully all is clear so we all can concentrate on Building our own League for 2017: 

That's all very rosy and pie in the sky and I'd love to believe it but where are you getting your info from? Better yet...who are you? I mean no offence btw but I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about this.

Archived