Canadian Premier League

ted

For promotion and relegation you need a full size league.  We're never going to have an 18 team league with more teams underneath.

i think the CIS angle is to tie in some of the training aspects and a draft set up.  It's all about player pools.  The C-League will need around 120 domestic players (8 teams, 15 Canadians per team).

Our Player pool has a total of about 200 players. So that would draw a huge number of that pool and many guys may have better options and wouldn't come back.  So we have to access an expanded pool quickly.

Imitially I would be surprised if the existing player pool would draw more than 60 or 75 existing pro players.  That means we would need to access 40-60 immediate players and at least 20 new players every year.

There's around 150 Canadians in the NCAA and the CIS has around 900 players in it.  Those combined leagues are graduating 260 players per year.  A large amount of our player pool will have to come from these ranks.  The top 8% of each graduating class would have to be drafted and signed.  That's a high amount and of course we'll need the CIS as a partner to do it. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For context of the draft;  Last year the NHL drafted 95 players from the 460 players eligible from the CHL.  The year before it was 99 and the OHL says that 21% of all players to ever play in the OHL were drafted so last years draft wasn't an anomaly.

If 8% of the CIS and NCAA players eligible each year play in the C-League then it's a feasible thing and in fact probably unlocks a lot of talent for Canada.  That's 1 player drafted from every 2.5 teams per year; so truly an CIS/NCAA all star team each year.  Also it provides a steady stream of players without the C-League having to invest heavily in academies when they will be tight for budgets. 

For promotion and relegation you need a full size league.  We're never going to have an 18 team league with more teams underneath.

Probably not more teams underneath. 18 teams in the future is definitely possible. If football was culturally on the same level as hockey, we'd have CFL teams in London, Barrie, KW, Quebec City and Windsor drawing 25 to 30k on average. Those cities are ripe for professional outdoor sports. However,  given the past shaky nature of that league and the fact you have just as many Canadians apathetic to the sport as those who are diehard fans, the CFL won't find too many individuals willing to risk a venture like that....especially considering the fact they would most likely have to fund the arena themselves. Throw a growing sport like soccer, which has a huge upside and potential that Canadian football does not, into the mix and you have a different story. 

I don't think the CSA should dictate tactics per se.  I have thought that in the past but myself I go back and forth between preferring to watch the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1, as most people do, so I don't know if tactical inflexibility should be mandated.  It really is dependent on the talent of a team and coaches have to think flexibly too.

Probably not more teams underneath. 18 teams in the future is definitely possible. If football was culturally on the same level as hockey, we'd have CFL teams in London, Barrie, KW, Quebec City and Windsor drawing 25 to 30k on average. Those cities are ripe for professional outdoor sports. However,  given the past shaky nature of that league and the fact you have just as many Canadian apathetic to the sport as those who are diehard fans, the CFL won't find too many individuals willing to risk a venture like that....especially considering the fact they would most likely have to fund the arena themselves.

I think we really have to walk before we can run.  If there was an 8 team league drawing 7,500 fans on average per game plus the MLS then the C-League would be a smashing success in my opinion.  I worry that that's a big stretch even with if TSN was broadcasting all the games.

I don't think the CSA should dictate tactics per se.  I have thought that in the past but myself I go back and forth between preferring to watch the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1, as most people do, so I don't know if tactical inflexibility should be mandated.  It really is dependent on the talent of a team and coaches have to think flexibly too.

I agree with this.

I think we really have to walk before we can run.  If there was an 8 team league drawing 7,500 fans on average per game plus the MLS then the C-League would be a smashing success in my opinion.  I worry that that's a big stretch even with if TSN was broadcasting all the games.

What you describe would be a decent start imo. Obviously some teams will be a little more successful than others in the outset. I am excited about the prospects of Hamilton.

Montagliani on tsn at the whitecaps impending playoff loss..

No update on this. If anything I thought he was backtracking. Didn't commit to saying a  Canadian league would be created, rather a solution to the Canadian problem.

Doesn't instill any confidence in me. Also came across a terrible public speaker on TV at least.

Is the interview with Montagliani available online anywhere?

yes there is. If you have tsn go app with valid credentials you can watch the whole Whitecaps vs timbers broadcast. Montagliani's interview is during the half time coverage.

I think  Montagliani needs to be more friendly and confident when talking about a potential c-league. Canada has 1000s of youth coming up the ranks and they need a 1st their Canadian league. If we have to start off small that's fine. More fans should come together (no Jay's pun intended) and support the clubs themselves. I think working with the cfl is an excellent thing. I went to the fury game this weekend and it was excellent! It was amazing to see that both sports working together using "both hands to wash their face." If you add both red black and fury attendance you get sold out stadium and then some. 2 teams in one place is good revenue and financial stability. I'm from Toronto. I would definitely support a second 1st tier soccer team in Toronto. I would have season seats for both teams. I think it's good for tfc and Argos to team up. It ensures financial stability which will give our sports and players a chance to develop. We're a different country than the rest of the world. This benefits us. That being said tfc , Argos, a Toronto c league team and national teams under one roof would be amazing for soccer in our country. It would even look like mls is doing their part to help our game in our country. Have Duane Rollins, Kevin Laramee, squizz do all the coverage for the Canadian league. Forget over paid guys like Caldwell. Give our Canadian boys and girls a chance to run our Canadian league inside out. Develop our people! Give us the chance Montagliani! Share the idea with everyone as much you can. You have the chance to make history here where maybe they're can be a statue of you for creating something bigger than everyone for generations to come. We need a c league now! Develop your business contacts, soccer contacts, tv contacts, Sooners everything and take what you get because this should be for our children not for personal gain. I hope the Canadian league dream will succeed! I will support it! 

Don't have the app, unfortunately. Hopefully it winds up on youtube at some point.Victor Montagliani has been one of the main proponents of the Canadian league dream, so if he no longer sees a need to talk it up, there's probably nothing imminent. The NASL-CFL-2026 WC bid alignment of interests might have led somewhere, but Blatter's exit at FIFA and Traffic's fall from grace in NASL terms makes that highly unlikely now. It will have been 32 years, since the USA last hosted by 2026 and 40 for Mexico. Even if it goes back to CONCACAF, which is by no means certain, the it's Canada's turn argument won't take things very far, if the economic case for going elsewhere makes more sense to FIFA's broader membership.

yes there is. If you have tsn go app with valid credentials you can watch the whole Whitecaps vs timbers broadcast. Montagliani's interview is during the half time coverage.

I think  Montagliani needs to be more friendly and confident when talking about a potential c-league. Canada has 1000s of youth coming up the ranks and they need a 1st their Canadian league. If we have to start off small that's fine. More fans should come together (no Jay's pun intended) and support the clubs themselves. I think working with the cfl is an excellent thing. I went to the fury game this weekend and it was excellent! It was amazing to see that both sports working together using "both hands to wash their face." If you add both red black and fury attendance you get sold out stadium and then some. 2 teams in one place is good revenue and financial stability. I'm from Toronto. I would definitely support a second 1st tier soccer team in Toronto. I would have season seats for both teams. I think it's good for tfc and Argos to team up. It ensures financial stability which will give our sports and players a chance to develop. We're a different country than the rest of the world. This benefits us. That being said tfc , Argos, a Toronto c league team and national teams under one roof would be amazing for soccer in our country. It would even look like mls is doing their part to help our game in our country. Have Duane Rollins, Kevin Laramee, squizz do all the coverage for the Canadian league. Forget over paid guys like Caldwell. Give our Canadian boys and girls a chance to run our Canadian league inside out. Develop our people! Give us the chance Montagliani! Share the idea with everyone as much you can. You have the chance to make history here where maybe they're can be a statue of you for creating something bigger than everyone for generations to come. We need a c league now! Develop your business contacts, soccer contacts, tv contacts, Sooners everything and take what you get because this should be for our children not for personal gain. I hope the Canadian league dream will succeed! I will support it! 

Diggin the enthusiasm!  

Canada, fuck yea!  :P

As far as Monty goes, I've seen some people complaining that he didn't sell the league enough, or that he wasn't the best public speaker.  Please, keep in mind he probably has been on TV like 5 times, and he'll get better both as he does it more, and as he has concrete ideas to talk about.  He clearly didn't want to give anyone false hope, yet didn't want to concretely nix it either, and I respect him for that.  We know what his goals are, and instead of being upset that it isn't happening right away, just be happy that the question keeps coming up.  Every time de vos asks the question, more and more people are hearing about it for the first time, and thats not a bad thing whatsoever.  The fact that it's repeatedly coming up is reassuring that we aren't being sold a false bill of goods or collectively taking crazy pills.  

Chin up lads.  We'll get there.

Victor was on red card with Anthony Torra tonight. He confirmed C league discussions. They've been working for 2 years in the issue. He gave a timeline of another two years for the league to commence. Stressed wanting to get things right.

So glad to have official confirmation about this. Maybe they will open up about a few more of the details soon.

Victor was on red card with Anthony Torra tonight. He confirmed C league discussions. They've been working for 2 years in the issue. He gave a timeline of another two years for the league to commence. Stressed wanting to get things right.

Here is the interview:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3d97xj_the-growth-of-canadian-soccer-with-csa-president-victor-montagliani_sport

If you listen to the whole interview there are other interesting comments:

- Large amateur clubs should look to use reserve funds to build small stadiums

- A timeline for the World Cup pitch will be outlined this time next year

- He further reiterated that a professional league is necessary to develop coaches

There's lots of nuggets in there.  I think the announcement for the league launch will coincide with the bid for the World Cup.  I believe a domestic league is necessary in order to bid.

" I think if we (follow) our plan and speaking to the groups that have shown interest already I think we might be in a position over…the next two years to push forward on this project."

This is a de facto admission that the league is not happening any time soon.

Duane has already mentioned numerous times of a 2017 start date so what's being said here fits nicely.

Archived