Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montagliani said this time next year on Totera's show.

http://www.nextsportstar.com/index.php/show/red-card-november-10-2015/

No he didn't.  Listen to it again. He said within one year they would consider moving on a Men's World Cup bid. When talk turned to a Canadian league, he was noncommittal and something like "hopefully we'll be ready to move on that in about two years".

...which suggests it is contingent on a successful World Cup bid and the infrastructure money that would be provided by federal and provincial government, which in turn now places it in don't hold your breath sort of territory. FIFA will go where they can get the most money and that will almost certainly be the United States. When the USSF were talking about not bidding, because of FIFA's alleged (Blatter and the others are still to have their trials, so guess I have to add that word) corruption, there was a window of opportunity for the CSA and Traffic Sports.

This would imply the Vancouver/Toronto investor problem has been solved within a couple weeks of us being aware that very problem even existed in the first place. That's so strange. Perhaps the issue isn't about who is going to the be the investors but about what deal (subsidies for competing with MLS markets for example) those investors are seeking.

Don't forget the FC Edmonton not-wanting-to-join problem and the no-tv-contract problem.

I don't see FC Edmonton not wanting to join as a problem, they had one of the worst attendance records in the NASL so to me there's something wrong with the franchise not the market. A new C-League team could do things differently and be successful. 

And as far as a TV deal we haven't heard anything about a deal or about the CSA having trouble securing a deal so to assume there's a problem is premature.

I don't see FC Edmonton not wanting to join as a problem, they had one of the worst attendance records in the NASL so to me there's something wrong with the franchise not the market. A new C-League team could do things differently and be successful. 

And as far as a TV deal we haven't heard anything about a deal or about the CSA having trouble securing a deal so to assume there's a problem is premature.

Yeah, a big part of the rumours of this whole league starting was the implication that TSN needed Canadian content due to the NHL's departure.

Is there a link to a podcast or article of Duane's which states a TV deal is proving difficult to secure? 

You know, I never really thought of that. I always just assumed FC Edmonton's problem was that Edmonton was more of a hockey/football town and that the fans there simply don't have an emotional connection against most of the teams they play, given they are by far the furthest away from the other NASL markets.

However, given how much support the Women's world cup brought in Edmonton, there has to be something there. I don't suppose any glaringly obvious franchise problems someone from Edmonton wouldn't mind sharing?

You know, I never really thought of that. I always just assumed FC Edmonton's problem was that Edmonton was more of a hockey/football town and that the fans there simply don't have an emotional connection against most of the teams they play, given they are by far the furthest away from the other NASL markets.

However, given how much support the Women's world cup brought in Edmonton, there has to be something there. I don't suppose any glaringly obvious franchise problems someone from Edmonton wouldn't mind sharing?

Exactly. I don't know much about the club but given the support our NTs have had over the years you would think they could 5K per game. Maybe it's the stadium? May the advertising? 

Exactly. I don't know much about the club but given the support our NTs have had over the years you would think they could 5K per game. Maybe it's the stadium? May the advertising? 

I think Ottawa works mostly on viral marketing so I don't think it's advertising. The venue and well-endowed ownership just gives the club a very professional look and feel that FC Edmonton, through no fault of its own, lacks a little. I thought the semi finals at TD Place didn't look far off MLS level in terms of  fan support and quality of broadcast. It's hard these days to emotionally invest in anything....and if you are going to, you want it to be something that will last and be worthwhile. The Ottawa Fury fit that description so even though the team's marketing is pretty much non-existent, the club has carved out quite a good niche in the city. It's just going to continue growing in the years to come.

This is why my mouth is absolutely salivating over the prospects of Hamilton (whether it ends up being in the NASL or CPL). Not only will the team have the financial strength and venue that Ottawa possesses, but it seems like we have an owner who will treat it like an equal to the CFL team. If the Hamilton team receives the marketing push that Ottawa never got or currently gets, the team's support could very well end up looking like this marketing video:

I think Ottawa works mostly on viral marketing so I don't think it's advertising. The venue and well-endowed ownership just gives the club a very professional look and feel that FC Edmonton, through no fault of its own, lacks a little. I thought the semi finals at TD Place didn't look far off MLS level in terms of  fan support and quality of broadcast. It's hard these days to emotionally invest in anything....and if you are going to, you want it to be something that will last and be worthwhile. The Ottawa Fury fit that description so even though the team's marketing is pretty much non-existent, the club has carved out quite a good niche in the city. It's just going to continue growing in the years to come.

This is why my mouth is absolutely salivating over the prospects of Hamilton (whether it ends up being in the NASL or CPL). Not only will the team have the financial strength and venue that Ottawa possesses, but it seems like we have an owner who will treat it like an equal to the CFL team. If the Hamilton team receives the marketing push that Ottawa never got or currently gets, the team's support could very well end up looking like this marketing video:

Do you live in Ottawa? 

I'm asking because I don't think the Fury marketing campaign is "mostly viral." They did not spend a lot in the run up to their inaugural season but since they have done a great job of getting the brand in the mainstream. They've done it simply through grass roots. They went to the local clubs and offered great deals on tickets for the whole family. That combined with a great product on the field have made for repeat business.

Do fat people not exist in Hamilton? Or will fat people just not be allowed to attend soccer at TH Field? Because I didn't see any in the video!

Nah, we've just had the fat problem for so long, we've become experts and sucking it in.

Anyways, I just wish we were hearing more of a possible team in Hamilton. Things have been so quiet as of late. The latest remotely soccer related thing from the Caretaker was him asking a C-League doubter on the Ti-Cats forum "Out of curiosity" why he felt a local domestic league couldn't work (which of course, means it's confirmed, C-Leauge is happening ;) )

Of which is response was "Perception that it would be bellow the quality of MLS and NASL" which realistically is the biggest hurdle and new domestic league would face. I think it also speaks volumes to Canadian ownership barking up the USL tree.

I love how everything just keeps coming back. I found the following little gem in an article on the American League of Professional Football Clubs which apparently operated for 17 days (yes days) in 1894. Emphasis is mine.

The ALPFC had teams in six cities: Boston, New York, Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington. All of them were owned by professional baseball clubs, a common failing among American pro soccer teams over the years, and their primary objective had little to do with promoting the sport of soccer. It was to enable those baseball clubs to make use of their stadiums during the off-season in a way that would be more profitable than sitting empty (in other words, not as unprofitable).

At least potential owners in the theoretical C-League won't schedule games midweek, mid-afternoon. Right?

Do you live in Ottawa? 

I'm asking because I don't think the Fury marketing campaign is "mostly viral." They did not spend a lot in the run up to their inaugural season but since they have done a great job of getting the brand in the mainstream. They've done it simply through grass roots. They went to the local clubs and offered great deals on tickets for the whole family. That combined with a great product on the field have made for repeat business.

No, I don't live there. It's just what I've heard and been told. Yeah, I know they've done things like that and even Bob Young is planning that with the Hamilton club. However, that is just one demographic to target. You need to target that 18-35 demographic and I'm sure that group will be focused on by Bob Young. Granted, I think the Fury were at a disadvantage initially since the Redblacks also debuted at the same time and all the marketing and hype was concentrated on them. The Hamilton soccer club should have the advantage of being something new and come in with a lot of steam.

Archived