Canadian Premier League

ted

19 minutes ago, mserson said:

Seriously, for all those who didn't believe this would happen, where do you stand now? Although not certain this is confirmation from a major paper, about a major investor, and an acknowledgment in public. 

I wasn't one who believe that this wouldn't happened, but I'm still of the belief that I don't think it will be executed properly. Just due to the fact that 3 of the major Canadian cities already have teams playing in an american Major League that is fighting for its own notoriety for 20+ years in which those teams will more than likely not be included in this plan....so I say how is it possible to support a league that will not have a team in my city, or will not be able to compare to the quality of play and price point of the existing team in my city. Yes I understand time, patience brings growth.....but what about the general soccer folks who aren't even paying attention or dont take the MLS seriously.

My hope is that the CPL isn't setup poorly....or that by atleast 2026 in our WC bid we have a mandate for the MLS, NASL teams join this league. 

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I support this wholeheartedly, and will follow and invest in it far more than MLS. Regardless of quality. One of the beautiful things about this sport is that players, clubs, and Nations develop and express an identity through football. I don't think Canada can do that while we're piggybacking on another country's league. 

Even those of us who were (and still are) sceptical of this happening are happy to see progress.

I'm with Lord_Bob on this one. Planned is a long way from actually doing it. So far we have 1 owner (Young) and a plan for Hamilton. That's a great start but there are still huge questions.

First and foremost on my mind is "Are they going to ignore the 3 largest markets or try to compete with the 3 MLS teams?". I do not see either as being realistic.

I don't see how the CSA could force the existing MLS teams into this league. The value of the 3 MLS teams is far in excess of anything the CSA could afford and the massive lawsuits would be inevitable.

16 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I support this wholeheartedly, and will follow and invest in it far more than MLS. Regardless of quality. One of the beautiful things about this sport is that players, clubs, and Nations develop and express an identity through football. I don't think Canada can do that while we're piggybacking on another country's league. 

Bingo.

I live a 10 minute walk from BMO and I will 100% be a SSH for the closest team (even if its Hamilton) before I am one again for TFC.

30 minutes ago, theaub said:

Bingo.

I live a 10 minute walk from BMO and I will 100% be a SSH for the closest team (even if its Hamilton) before I am one again for TFC.

You are apart of what I call the "Nickel Percenters". (and a lot of us forum members are)

The Nickel Percenters are a group of people who are passionate Canadian soccer fans who will religiously support a Canadian league just on the merits of it being Canadian. Everything else is irrelevant noise to members pride and hearts even if its illogical. 

22 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

You are apart of what I call the "Nickel Percenters". (and a lot of us forum members are)

The Nickel Percenters are a group of people who are passionate Canadian soccer fans who will religiously support a Canadian league just on the merits of it being Canadian. Everything else is irrelevant noise to members pride and hearts even if its illogical. 

I really don't get why you belittle this opinion. It seems to have worked for 200+ other countries. In spite of all the difficulties Canada might present, I don't see what is irrelevant or illogical about this view.

1 minute ago, Aird25 said:

I really don't get why you belittle this opinion. It seems to have worked for 200+ other countries. In spite of all the difficulties Canada might present, I don't see what is irrelevant or illogical about this view.

I don't think he is making fun of it at all. just having some fun. This is a good day, we are one step closer to seeing a league!

10 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Well, count me in as a "nickel percenter"....

Didn't mean it in a negative way as a supporter....just in regard to the reality that there isn't much of you. Not enough to get the potential support the CPL would need - and my theory is simply based on the existing MLS and NASL teams.

.......But I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm wrong well then I could've been right.

1 hour ago, theaub said:

Bingo.

I'm a Season ticket holder(double) for my local MLS team (guess who) from day one & long time supporter of local & Cdn. Nat. team but as soon as there is a team in my city in the new CDN league I will be switching my tickets to the new team. Can't wait.

39 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

My thing is our "number 1" sport, that has developed and contributed Canadian professional players of upwards of 50% of the player pool from as far as the 80's, play in a league that has less than 25% of the teams located in Canada. 

If we have never needed a National league for our number 1 sport - how do you get others (not Voyaguers) to understand the importance of this league.

theaub said:

1 hour ago, theaub said:

I live a 10 minute walk from BMO and I will 100% be a SSH for the closest team (even if its Hamilton) before I am one again for TFC

But how many casuals would actually do this? I sure wouldn't and because I live in Ajax (30mins east of Toronto) and have absolutely no affinity to go to Hamilton unless I'm travelling for away support. I'll keep my seasons for life, but if there is a new team in lets say the Durham region then I'll get seasons for those too, but again my question is how many casuals would actually do this? 

20 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

My thing is our "number 1" sport, that has developed and contributed Canadian professional players of upwards of 50% of the player pool from as far as the 80's, play in a league that has less than 25% of the teams located in Canada. 

If we have never needed a National league for our number 1 sport - how do you get others (not Voyaguers) to understand the importance of this league.

theaub said:

But how many casuals would actually do this? I sure wouldn't and because I live in Ajax (30mins east of Toronto) and have absolutely no affinity to go to Hamilton unless I'm travelling for away support. I'll keep my seasons for life, but if there is a new team in lets say the Durham region then I'll get seasons for those too, but again my question is how many casuals would actually do this? 

There seem to be enough Nickel Percenters to maintain the CFL. Which is clearly of inferior quality to the NFL. It's also a sport that has no international competition, and is a far less popular sport than soccer in terms of participation. National pride can go a long way when you start competing globally.

I'm a big proponent for a Canadian League.  What I never see mentioned in this debate is that when a Canadian Team plays in an American League it has to pay it's players in USD.  With a Canadian League, with high Canadian content quotas, a large amount of unnecessary overhead can be avoided on the exchange rate.  It helps a great deal in budgeting and forecasts to have revenues in the same currency as your expenses.  I think that would provide more financial stability to clubs.

There is no doubt in my mind a Toronto CPL team would be hugely successful.  

Aside from us hardcore Canadian soccer supporters, there are:

- the MANY disenchanted TFC fans in Toronto who will flock to a new team;

- those who are still TFC fans but have been priced out of TFC;

- the clueless "hardcore" supporters who just want to set off flares and smoke, they will come running if you let them do their thing and go nuts; 

- those who want to be part of a supporters section but cannot now join the established supporters groups, they will welcome the opportunity to start something new;

Lamport stadium can be refurbished and upgraded.  U of T Varsity stadium can be upgraded.  Where there is a will, there is a way.  If you build it right, they will come.  Make deRosario the coach.  Bring in DeGuzman to Captain the team.  Yes, people will come.  Lots of people.  

Don't underestimate the Toronto Soccer Community:  

Eighteen months ahead of Toronto FC’s 2007 debut, then Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president Richard Peddie was asked to peg what he’d consider a successful soccer crowd.  Peddie guesstimated “low teens” at the 20,000-seat BMO Field.

“[On] a consistent basis, I think they can draw six to eight thousand,” Bruno Hartrell said at the time. 

25 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

There seem to be enough Nickel Percenters to maintain the CFL. Which is clearly of inferior quality to the NFL. It's also a sport that has no international competition, and is a far less popular sport than soccer in terms of participation. National pride can go a long way when you start competing globally.

I agree there are enough Nickel Percenters to maintain the CFL, however to compare this to the CFL is completely wrong, and as of right now, based on the partial info we all know is its incomparable.

Why? How? 

The great thing about the CFL is that it has only one (two in AB and ON) professional throwball team(s) in every province on the mainlands. Meaning there is no alternative option provided to see a game live or be apart of a culture outside of whats available. Also the CFL is a completely different product than the NFL, never mind the obvious quality difference.

Based on the info we have received is that the obvious TFC, IMFC, VWFC, and FCE will not be involved in the Canadian Premier League. However there has been mentions of teams still residing in these cities which would inevitably create an unrealistic competition against the MLS teams for fans, marketing presence, tv time, which all equals to the income of dollars.

If the CFL is the blueprint then we will have 6-8 teams across the mainlands of Canada from Hamilton, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary, Saskatchewan, and Edmonton  - all successful CFL franchises in terms of attendance, however I dont know where the rest are coming from. And what about the major TV markets? I think its a hope and pray to expect people from Toronto, Vancouver, never mind Montreal to watch these games on TV. MLS TV numbers speak for themselves.

Read Duane Rollins was tweeting about the wage structure/budgets being similar to NASL. I'd hope for a bit more if they really want to get it off the ground. Long term the league has to be aiming closer to MLS and above USL/NASL. Not sure if it can. 

Just having a pathway for young players and somewhere for Canadians to come and grow is a start. TSN as backers should be a must for the organizers. 

50 minutes ago, toontownman said:

For anyone looking at the above: http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6261090-canadian-pro-soccer-league-to-call-hamilton-home/

Exciting. While I can only dream of a Saskatoon team there should at least be Regina to drive to. 

This is off topic, but are you in touch with Tuscan about the S'toon viewing party?

A bit more on topic, do we really need three threads for this?

Archived