Canadian Premier League

ted

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, shamrock said:

On a different note, why would a team have to be in the Vancouver greater area? I could imagine a team in Victoria or Kelowna for instance, or maybe in the Fraser Valley could do well. 

They want a team in the Vancouver area because its a major media market for the TV contract they want to launch the CPL with.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

For that matter, Vancouver people, where would a Vancouver team play?  I presume Swangard would be the first choice, but is there realistically anywhere else that is possible?

Jason

Yup, would think Swangard Stadium would be the first choice.

Expanding Coquitlam Town Center Stadium may be a possible option - used to have 4200 seats and they decreased its capacity but with the Skytrain coming across the street to Coquitlam in early 2017 its on the major transportation line for the Vancouver Metro area. A seating expansion to 10K should be possible.

Surrey has talked about wanting a 10K stadium as well in the past so team could be located there if there's progress on that.

A 3rd Van team would have it hard to play anywhere in Van.  For the record, Swangard Stadium is in need of a facelift as it's falling apart, plus can't expand, due City of Burnaby not interested in destroying Central Park, so you're stuck with the seats and bleachers.  Surrey wouldn't work, because majority of Surrey residents supports BC Lions first, hockey 2nd, as alot of Canucks ticket holders are in the Fraser Valley, Baseball 3rd, as there's alot of baseball parks and right now there's no 10K stadium, although there's one proposed but the city wants a P3 with that to front construction.  Literally, if the new Van CSL league team happens, they'll be relegated to Coquitlam, Langley or Abbotsford Area, which is a lengthy commute for most, with no major bus routes to the Valley area, unless you're willing yo commute 3-4 hours for a game with BC transit from GVR.  Also the USL side was created for development but the Caps don't want to be in the red operating the farm team long term, so expect the Caps to either foot the bill to build there own small private field in Surrey or New West to have there farm team play.  The CFL in the major cities, don't have the marketing muscle to compete against MLS teams, so I expect an uphill battle if at all for then to play anywhere in Van.  If I were them, maybe try having thr team on the Island or the Okanagan and have that entire region and market to thenselves.

On 1/7/2016 at 5:51 PM, Cheeta said:

Don't think the name matters too much.  You don't want it to sound like a total idiot idea either though.   Just call it The Soccer League, The National League, whatever.  No need to try to sex it up for dramatic effect.  People will figure it out pretty quick and those that can't probably wouldn't have any money for tickets anyway.

Probably a good thing you're not involved in the marketing then

7 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Whitecaps 2 looked at Swangard but the Burnaby mayor wasn't interested in making any upgrades for that team, I'm sure the discussion about it is archived here somewhere.

That was Queen's Park in New Westminster I think

20 hours ago, nolbertos said:

A 3rd Van team would have it hard to play anywhere in Van.  For the record, Swangard Stadium is in need of a facelift as it's falling apart, plus can't expand, due City of Burnaby not interested in destroying Central Park, so you're stuck with the seats and bleachers.  Surrey wouldn't work, because majority of Surrey residents supports BC Lions first, hockey 2nd, as alot of Canucks ticket holders are in the Fraser Valley, Baseball 3rd, as there's alot of baseball parks and right now there's no 10K stadium, although there's one proposed but the city wants a P3 with that to front construction.  Literally, if the new Van CSL league team happens, they'll be relegated to Coquitlam, Langley or Abbotsford Area, which is a lengthy commute for most, with no major bus routes to the Valley area, unless you're willing yo commute 3-4 hours for a game with BC transit from GVR.  Also the USL side was created for development but the Caps don't want to be in the red operating the farm team long term, so expect the Caps to either foot the bill to build there own small private field in Surrey or New West to have there farm team play.  The CFL in the major cities, don't have the marketing muscle to compete against MLS teams, so I expect an uphill battle if at all for then to play anywhere in Van.  If I were them, maybe try having thr team on the Island or the Okanagan and have that entire region and market to thenselves.

Was at Swangard recently and its actually in alright shape and with the same seating setup as the Caps had there pre Mls with more seats opposite the main grandstand it'll be at approximately 6K. Capacity at 6K would be fine for a CPL club its first few years.

Like I mentioned Surrey would need a stadium to work but has the population to support a CPL club and would likely draw more than having the team in Burnaby's Swangard. Surrey's actually quite big with close to 500K population and Skytrain transit line to bring in fans from Vancouver/Burnaby/New West/Tri Cities so Lions/Canucks fans won't negate a CPL club there.

Coquitlam will be on the Skytrain line early 2017 so easy access from Surrey, Tri Cities, Burnaby, and Vancouver - A CPL Vancouver club wouldn't be aiming to draw much of its fanbase from the Fraser Valley.

On 07/01/2016 at 0:04 AM, Jason said:

I would agree that those sound like the most logical stadiums.  Anyone from the GTA want to weigh in on this?  For that matter, Vancouver people, where would a Vancouver team play?  I presume Swangard would be the first choice, but is there realistically anywhere else that is possible?

Jason

They need to play in a new venue in the west or north end of the city. Playing at Varsity and especially Lamport is too close to TFC.

On 08/01/2016 at 10:22 PM, nolbertos said:

Surrey wouldn't work, because majority of Surrey residents supports BC Lions

Majority of Surrey residents are Punjabi, who support the sport of soccer a lot more than Canadian Football. 

On 07/01/2016 at 3:37 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Don't think there is any chance of the 3 USL teams being involved, unfortunately, but agree that all the CSA need to do would be to fold this into USL under Canadian branding for it to be easy to accomplish. Think what they have in mind all revolves around a successful 2026 World Cup bid (the key is the public infrastructure money that could be accessed by the CFL owners) and Sepp Blatter's departure from FIFA makes that a lot more unlikely than it otherwise would have been.

Did your wife cheat on you or were you just a cuckold at birth?

I'm thinking it's a mixture of both, you were born with cucky tendencies but when you realized your woman was shacking up with another man, it just drove you over the edge. Tell me if I'm wrong.

10 hours ago, Coramoor said:

so share the OSC with TFC2? Best option unless Markham wants to build something.

Markham is going through gentrification. I can see it being a better option than Sauga possibly. More central, up town location. Whatever happened to that proposed hockey arena?

Edit: Just Googled it. Looks like that never went anywhere.

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Markham is going through gentrification. I can see it being a better option than Sauga possibly. More central, up town location. Whatever happened to that proposed hockey arena?

Edit: Just Googled it. Looks like that never went anywhere.

Most stadiums never go anywhere which is where the problems come in. Brampton wanted to build a 25,000 person cricket stadium recently. OSC makes the most sense from a cost perspective, especially as the potential is very questionable. TFC will probably have to upgrade the stadium again on their own dime to comply with USL regulations which will essentially be a free ride for the new Toronto team

16 hours ago, Macksam said:

Majority of Surrey residents are Punjabi, who support the sport of soccer...

Actually the face of Surrey has changed over the last 10 years here.  Northern Surrey is majorly Punjabi, but from 64th Ave and South, its been more Caucasian and now Asian buyers buyin tons of houses around White Rock (South Surrey). The Punjabi people are not as big in Surrey anymore with tons of housing developments happening and more and more families that can't afford houses in Van moving to the Fraser Valley, thanks to thr Asian buyers buying out houses from young families.  Most of those fans don't play soccer recreationally so far that I've seen, and I haven't seen much Whitecaps gear worn here compared to Burnaby and Van residents.

On 1/7/2016 at 4:40 PM, CDNFootballer said:

Swangard Stadium is still around in the suburb of Burnaby.

Not really. They turned away the Whitecaps in regards to their USL team. They Burnaby mayor made it pretty clear they want nothing to do with that kind of thing in Swangard.  The Caps also got turned away from several other places (New West, Coquitlam, Surrey).

If these places all turned away the Whitecaps, would they change their mind and open their arms for a CPL team?  Elections change and different mayors come and go, so anything is possible.  It just doesn't suit the climate right now; especially when each municipality would quickly worry that the team would draw in a market with Caps and Caps2.

Before someone says "Surrey wanted it".....  not really. Their council looked at a plan, however one of the Mayoral candidates tried to make it an election issue by opposing it, and they quickly dropped all talk about it.  They may be the one place that would consider it again if they were approached in a non-election year.  Although, would it really draw being only a short drive from BC Place?  A USL team owned by the Caps will operate if they only draw 1500.  An independent club in a new league would need a lot more than that to be viable or they would end up moving the team.  Surrey to Abbotsford has the population for sure; but will they come out to what would be a 2nd or 3rd level product (depending on their opening player budgets) when there is bigger club in town?  No one knows.  We do know that hockey has a huge following and the Abbotsford team could barely get 3000 because it was a Canucks market and most people only cared when the Canucks farm team came to town.  If 2nd level hockey can not draw in this market when there is a major team, I am not sure soccer can.

In my opinion, this CPL should probably stay away from the direct metro areas of the three MLS markets until they establish themselves; then perhaps look at it.  However, they have no hope of any meaningful TV money unless they are in those markets; so it is a tough call on what to do.  If I were running the show and someone came to me with a plan, the money, and the resources and sincerely wanted to put a club in these MLS markets, I would give them a shot because you got nothing to lose.  We won't know unless we try it out.

On 2016-01-07 at 0:13 AM, Jason said:

Regina:  What financial struggles?  They announced a profit of $2.2 million for the 2014 season, a $10.4 million profit in 2013, and $1.1 million in 2012.  And remember this is declared profits.  I'm sure they made more but with smart accounting they worked the profit down to these numbers.  The Roughrider organization is very slick and professional - they know the market and what they are doing.  They can do a lot of cross promotion.  They will have season ticket lists (sell stand alone tickets, do a combo deal) and can add it into Roughrider corporate sponsorship packages.  People will also be looking to get into the new stadium that might not be able to get football tickets.  Anything associated to the Roughrider brand has value in the market.  They have a lot of money in the bank to spend to get it going if they are committed.

Jason

Don't forget also they are posting those profits WHILE contributing to the building of their new stadium. Last I had checked, the Saskatchewan Roughriders were the third most identified sports franchise in Canada after the Leafs and the Habs.

15 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

Don't forget also they are posting those profits WHILE contributing to the building of their new stadium. Last I had checked, the Saskatchewan Roughriders were the third most identified sports franchise in Canada after the Leafs and the Habs.

That is because of merchandising, who could refuse a jet black t-shirt with a felt football and wheat growing out of it, unbeatable (describing my own much-loved shirt worn proudly in the Gothic alleys of the City of the Counts).

• 2 weeks later...

Seems Rollins is the only person openly promoting the idea a new pro league north of the 49th..the CSA prez was unwilling to give any details as there most likely are none to give...  if it ever comes to fruition it will linger and die like all previous attempts. The lack of revenues, investors, high travel costs, no outside media revenues, competition with other leagues and sports and finally an inferior quality of play will see to that like the former CPSL, its death will be painful.

The CFL has never stated they were interested in being the major partner with any pro D1 or D2 football league as in reality they would gain nothing from such an agreement...as far as this new league being a requirement for the CSA to place a bid for the 2026 WC, besides the lack of adequate stadiums. inferior quality of the MNT, the embarrassment of playing on plastic grass pitches would tarnish the WC's reputation....the WWC was a joke in quality and competition, as the CWNT only by virtue of being hosts qualified and in the end their lack of quality saw them outclassed and rightfully eliminated, sure the WWC made money predominantly from the tens of thousands of American fans but the  embarrassment of  small crowds in Montreal and Moncton, playing on plastic turf proved this was an overall bust. No wonder Canada was awarded the WWC as the only one to make a bid. 

The CSA needs is to focus on establishing the western Div 3 league as previously identified as a priority so as to build the semi pro talent pool firstly before assuming they can field enough players for any domestic pro league...the future for the next decade is an all Canuck Division in the NASL of 6-8 teams,  possibly one day allowing for development of a stand alone C League once the quantity of quality players has dramatically increased...once MLS has finished their expansion of greed to 32 clubs, the exodus of clubs to the NASL from the USL and independent leagues who missed out of the joining the MLS at their illegal SES trough will begin to such a point where the NASL will have expanded to 32 or more clubs. Then and only then, an all Canuck Division can form its own domestic pro D1 or D2 league with the Three Div 3 leagues and possibly the PCSL joining so that pro/rel can occur...until then, any talk of a new league is purely speculation based on absolutely no facts courtesy of Rollins..

4 hours ago, Yawassanay said:

Seems Rollins is the only person openly promoting the idea a new pro league north of the 49th..the CSA prez was unwilling to give any details as there most likely are none to give...  if it ever comes to fruition it will linger and die like all previous attempts. The lack of revenues, investors, high travel costs, no outside media revenues, competition with other leagues and sports and finally an inferior quality of play will see to that like the former CPSL, its death will be painful.

The CFL has never stated they were interested in being the major partner with any pro D1 or D2 football league as in reality they would gain nothing from such an agreement...as far as this new league being a requirement for the CSA to place a bid for the 2026 WC, besides the lack of adequate stadiums. inferior quality of the MNT, the embarrassment of playing on plastic grass pitches would tarnish the WC's reputation....the WWC was a joke in quality and competition, as the CWNT only by virtue of being hosts qualified and in the end their lack of quality saw them outclassed and rightfully eliminated, sure the WWC made money predominantly from the tens of thousands of American fans but the  embarrassment of  small crowds in Montreal and Moncton, playing on plastic turf proved this was an overall bust. No wonder Canada was awarded the WWC as the only one to make a bid. 

The CSA needs is to focus on establishing the western Div 3 league as previously identified as a priority so as to build the semi pro talent pool firstly before assuming they can field enough players for any domestic pro league...the future for the next decade is an all Canuck Division in the NASL of 6-8 teams,  possibly one day allowing for development of a stand alone C League once the quantity of quality players has dramatically increased...once MLS has finished their expansion of greed to 32 clubs, the exodus of clubs to the NASL from the USL and independent leagues who missed out of the joining the MLS at their illegal SES trough will begin to such a point where the NASL will have expanded to 32 or more clubs. Then and only then, an all Canuck Division can form its own domestic pro D1 or D2 league with the Three Div 3 leagues and possibly the PCSL joining so that pro/rel can occur...until then, any talk of a new league is purely speculation based on absolutely no facts courtesy of Rollins..

Hahaha. So in one post you manage to crap on the CWNT, the CMNT and the Canadian women's World Cup? You realize this is a Canadian supporters group board right?

throw in some strangely myopic and long term view of the nasl and mls' ambitions and even a bizarre opinion about how we need pro/rel...man you managed to check a lot of crazy boxes with this post. 

4 hours ago, Yawassanay said:

You mad bro?

Archived