Doneil Henry

Coramoor

I'm not sure why Henry would be put in at RB. He's a cb. You remember what he looked like at RB against panama/ Colombia?

I do remembe his play was solid defensively and very average going forward. I wouldn't have a problem with him playing at RB against Mexico or away in Honduras.

But if he starts at Blackburn as a CB, we might be better trying to start him as CB. The problem here is that he won't be part of any camp until the Mexico games and away from the MNT for a long period of time. I guess it will be on Floro to assess where Henry is better suited to play for us and personnaly, I have no problem seeing him at RB.

I'm not sure why Henry would be put in at RB. He's a cb. You remember what he looked like at RB against panama/ Colombia? 

He was a wall against Colombia, they stopped attacking the right side 15 minutes into the game because they couldn't get anywhere against him, he's a big fast guy. Panama exposed the issues he has on the attack but he is a CB, can't ask for everything.

If Henry becomes a starter at Blackburn, he has to be in our starting 11 in March.  The guy is just too much of threat on corners and set pieces.  

I would be surprised if Edgar ever plays at RB for us under Floro. I just can't see it. We haven't seen it in 2 years since he has been in charge. It is much more likely Henry will be moved to RB before Edgar is even considered as an option there.

He did a decent job under Hart last cycle at RB, but he doesn't have much pace and can't take on defenders. 

I would be surprised if Edgar ever plays at RB for us under Floro. I just can't see it. We haven't seen it in 2 years since he has been in charge. It is much more likely Henry will be moved to RB before Edgar is even considered as an option there.

He did a decent job under Hart last cycle at RB, but he doesn't have much pace and can't take on defenders. 

I don't know about his current speed after the groin and hamstring issues but he always had very good pace for a CB

Muscular tears like hamstring and groin typically don't affect speed in the long term. Is is broken legs and torn ligaments which do. I believe he will have every bit of pace he had before the injury.

Funny enough I met with a surgeon this morning about surgery for a torn ligament and meniscus and he mentioned that top athletes would elect to use tendons in place of hamstring muscle for ligament replacement so as to not affect speed after recovery. 

Funny enough I met with a surgeon this morning about surgery for a torn ligament and meniscus and he mentioned that top athletes would elect to use tendons in place of hamstring muscle for ligament replacement so as to not affect speed after recovery. 

Very interesting.

Not being a top athlete, I believe this was the case with me. Hamstring muscle for ligament replacement, rather than using tendons. 

It goes to show that speed after recovery is a concern for players coming back from ACL tears and miniscus tears (I have done both).

I don't recall meeting anyone who has torn their hamstring so bad that he's needed surgery, so I don't know how greatly speed would be affected, but I imagine it to be not as great of a concern.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I see that Henry's loan is  now over.

I'm getting worried about Henry.

This doesn't feel like a "West Ham wouldn't let him stay" recall. This feels like a "We don't need a player who struggles with fitness" recall. 

Will have to look into this...

Slightly off the immediate topic, but just found this article from a year ago on Henry on a West Ham fan website. 

It shows his statistics and notes his pass percentage jumped from 69% to 78% in one season (from 2013 to 2014).

So thinking back to all the debates about Henry being a bad passer or a player who hoofs the ball up the field or into the stands, here is empirical evidence that shows passing has become a strength. For a centre back 78% is not amazing, but it definitely is respectable.

Edit: here it is https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2015/01/07/new-signing-analysis-doneil-henry

Edited by Obinna

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm getting worried about Henry.

This doesn't feel like a "West Ham wouldn't let him stay" recall. This feels like a "We don't need a player who struggles with fitness" recall. 

Will have to look into this...

Or Lambert felt happy with the play of his Rovers' starters and Henry wasn't getting minutes, so he goes back to West Ham and maybe gets another loan elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Or Lambert felt happy with the play of his Rovers' starters and Henry wasn't getting minutes, so he goes back to West Ham and maybe gets another loan elsewhere.

Just found that the initial deal may have only been until Jan 3rd? Is Henry healthy at the moment? I thought I read his hammy is still an issue...

http://www.westhamonline.net/forum_flat.php?8190747%7Ca0

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Just found that the initial deal may have only been until Jan 3rd? Is Henry healthy at the moment? I thought I read his hammy is still an issue...

http://www.westhamonline.net/forum_flat.php?8190747%7Ca0

I think at the time Henry went on loan the only possibility for length was short term as per FA rules. I would hazard a guess it wasn't extended because of his hammy though. Sucks for Doneil he hasn't caught a break since this move

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

If Henry suits up in an FA Cup game that's good news. Hopefully his injury troubles are behind him.

Wolverhampton is middle of the championship right now; quite a decent team. It would be a good test for him. Likely tougher to beat than Aston Villa :P

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 2 weeks later...