Doneil Henry

Coramoor

Just now, IceCreamMan said:

Rules him out for September I would think. To be honest this doesn't upset me that much as it insures we won't see him at RB again. Obviously its unfortunate though and hopefully he recovers quickly. 

Who will get the start at RB? Ouimette, Ledgerwood, Aird?

From a National Team perspective, I am happy that Henry will not be called in September (not the same as saying I am happy he is injured). I just can't picture him going down to Honduras and playing well.

Unfortunately, Henry has been really snakebitten by injuries lately.

Edited by Floortom

15 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Who will get the start at RB? Ouimette, Ledgerwood, Aird?

You obviously have no ambition.  All three of those are too negative thinking and we need to attack attack attack!  We should put Alphonso Davies there and Petrasso at LB.  Maybe then we'd finally get a cross in.

(real answer: I'm hoping for Ledgerwood in Honduras and Aird in Vancouver).

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

You obviously have no ambition.  All three of those are too negative thinking and we need to attack attack attack!  We should put Alphonso Davies there and Petrasso at LB.  Maybe then we'd finally get a cross in.

Then we flood the box with eight centrebacks to get their heads on it. Yes, I see!

Terrible news for Doneil & for Canada - I think he's the best 1 v. 1 defender we have and while right back may not be his natural position (from lack of experience) we don't have a lot of options to replace him.

Maybe Vancouver can stop playing that useless Jordan Smith now and put Aird back in (or even David Edgar if need be).

Guys, don't know about Aird. Yesterday IMO he played himself off the team, he was confused, did not help a rookie right back in Seiler who worked his butt off while Aird was coasting and out of position, he was only interested in going forward. I thought he was one of our worst players. 

Sorry, but you got to watch them to know, a guy who has not played in weeks comes on in a friendly vs. an EPL side and shows no committment. Kah was the same. So bench him.

5 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

Regular players should be jogging in midweek exhibition games though. Don't hurt the team in actual contests by risking your health in something like that.

It is way more risking to jog, Lord Bob, surprised you did not know that. Because the guy in front of you may not be jogging. 

Anyways, apart from  a basic tenet of fitness (half-ass is always more dangerous and makes you MORE injury-prone), the guy is a footballer playing for a starting spot. And for the honour of his club. And for the fans. 

Since at Whitecaps there are basically right now about three sure starters (Ousted, Laba, Harvey), none of whom figured, the whole principle can be rightly chucked out the window. And Aird can friggin well sit.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Guys, don't know about Aird. Yesterday IMO he played himself off the team, he was confused, did not help a rookie right back in Seiler who worked his butt off while Aird was coasting and out of position, he was only interested in going forward. I thought he was one of our worst players. 

Sorry, but you got to watch them to know, a guy who has not played in weeks comes on in a friendly vs. an EPL side and shows no committment. Kah was the same. So bench him.

he was playing some kind of CM role, not one he's familiar with. Seiler was poor and Smith is still crap so Aird will probably still play right back regularly

1 hour ago, Coramoor said:

he was playing some kind of CM role, not one he's familiar with. Seiler was poor and Smith is still crap so Aird will probably still play right back regularly

Seiler was poor? He was actually very good considering (considering the blinker's Canada fans put on). You got a guy who's a total rookie playing his first match for the first team against EPL players, with no one covering his back, often two over there and no help, because the prima donna Aird is flitting about in no man's land. They did not score with Seiler on. As soon as he was off, and Edgar, they scored two, changes at 60 and immediately afterwards we broke down. Their first was because our right back Parker was in the wrong place, because he did not trust De Wit, which you could not say about Seiler at any time in his hour on the pitch.

Kah was weak. Aird was terrible. Parker had a rough night but could be forgiven. The rest were pretty good in fact. Helped by Pars being piss poor.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Seiler was poor? He was actually very good considering (considering the blinker's Canada fans put on). You got a guy who's a total rookie playing his first match for the first team against EPL players, with no one covering his back, often two over there and no help, because the prima donna Aird is flitting about in no man's land. They did not score with Seiler on. As soon as he was off, and Edgar, they scored two, changes at 60 and immediately afterwards we broke down. Their first was because our right back Parker was in the wrong place, because he did not trust De Wit, which you could not say about Seiler at any time in his hour on the pitch.

Kah was weak. Aird was terrible. Parker had a rough night but could be forgiven. The rest were pretty good in fact. Helped by Pars being piss poor.

Edgar bailed out Seiler like 6 times. This has nothing to do with blinkers, Aird has played well in MLS this season and one "poor" game in a friendly as a return to action is hardly a reason to bench him

1 hour ago, Coramoor said:

Edgar bailed out Seiler like 6 times. This has nothing to do with blinkers, Aird has played well in MLS this season and one "poor" game in a friendly as a return to action is hardly a reason to bench him

All proper centre backs in the world shift over to cover an outside back. 

Most proper centre backs do not have to do it so ofter because the mid is covering so the centre defender can stay where he is most useful, hard against the nearest striker.

Aird got caught out as much or more in his first matches for Caps, often with Bolaños not covering (another uncommitted defender tracking back, though with other virtues). Frankly, this blind defense of a neophyte like Aird, and then comparing with a guy playing his first match as a full pro, and against an EPL attacker, is pretty frigging incoherent. Aird is nowhere near CMNT level, don't know if you were at the game but his entire match was a positional mess, there were times he was literally spinning out there.

For me, he is a major step down from a still tentative Doneil.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Most proper centre backs do not have to do it so ofter because the mid is covering so the centre defender can stay where he is most useful, hard against the nearest striker.

Aird got caught out as much or more in his first matches for Caps, often with Bolaños not covering (another uncommitted defender tracking back, though with other virtues). Frankly, this blind defense of a neophyte like Aird, and then comparing with a guy playing his first match as a full pro, and against an EPL attacker, is pretty frigging incoherent. Aird is nowhere near CMNT level, don't know if you were at the game but his entire match was a positional mess, there were times he was literally spinning out there.

For me, he is a major step down from a still tentative Doneil.

I'm not talking about Canada, I'm talking about Vancouver.

Also Doneil is out for the next two games so it's a bit of a redundant point.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's an interesting observation because with the (too many) chances and goals the Caps have given up in MLS this year, very often I have seen this daisy chain of break downs taking place:  opponents being marked or tracked by double the number of defenders and a chance on goal still occurs.

• 1 month later...
Just now, BCM1555362349 said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/ACHorsensGULE">@ACHorsensGULE</a> confirms to <a href="https://twitter.com/tipsbladet">@tipsbladet</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/mpbdavidsen">@mpbdavidsen</a> that Doneil Henry is talking to them <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cmnt?src=hash">#cmnt</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/sldk?src=hash">#sldk</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash">#TFC</a> <a href="https://t.co/qAtK8KCXX4">https://t.co/qAtK8KCXX4</a></p>&mdash; Henrik Høgholt Lønne (@henrikloenne) <a href="https://twitter.com/henrikloenne/status/770976499159605248">31 August 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think you meant