Doneil Henry

Coramoor

He should at least get a year loan somewhere in league 1 / Championship. If I remember correct he still has 3 (2?) more years ons his contract so they can't expect him to just walk away from that. Show a strong season and most importantly stay healthy for a long period and maybe they'll give you another look again. 

19 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Henry and West Ham are currently on tour in the US and have a match against Seattle on Tuesday night. I think it is on TV in the US so you should be able to find a stream.  

From the pictures I've seen, Henry didn't make the trip. Plus it has been said that Henry is not in West Ham's plans and if he isn't in their plans, why would they bring him to the US Tour especially when West Ham has its first competititve match in 3 weeks and a half?

Edited by Blackdude

27 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

From the pictures I've seen, Henry didn't make the trip. Plus it has been said that Henry is not in West Ham's plans and if he isn't in their plans, why would they bring him to the US Tour especially when West Ham has its first competititve match in 3 weeks and a half?

Had read that he did go with the squad so I could be wing. Also, who has said Henry is not in West Ham's plans? It might be true but that tweet above is about as reliable Robert telling us that England will get kicked out of UEFA. The club haven't said anything unless I have missed it. 

15 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

I am only able to view these zoomed in on my phone but both photos look like they feature Henry. 

gallery_11.jpg?width=726&height=544&ext=

gallery_12.jpg?width=726&height=544&ext=

I missed him in the jogging picture, didn't check hard enough.  I checked maybe too quickly. I think I saw someone post that Henry had no future at West Ham on this board. Some people said it was not a serious source. 

Good to see he is there.  They only brought 22 and a bunch of the kids are there but not all the development squad, so a bit of a positive.  Looks like Tomkins is off, which is a shame in one way but makes Henry probably 6th choice. Two of the first team CBs like themselves an injury though. 

Chance to impress, one of the starters just got knocked out of the Euros and another of the first team is still there. 

Played the last 45 against the Sounders in a friendly.  Was streamed in the wee hours here.  

Did not look great but the defence was all over the place generally and he had a non-existent right back (his side) most of the time. It was a young midfielder playing there and he acted like it.  

Literally 3 days into preseason so we will see what other chances he gets.  Three central defenders missing due to internationals. 

Awful might be a step too far.  Did try to go through a Sounders player near the end, though. 

It is always going to be attack first and high fullbacks with this manager, so the centre backs are going to have to be smart and mobile  With a cobbled together back four on a few days training it was never going to be great.

Henry is very much a last manager buy and it really pains me to say he might need move on,  Though I live in hope.

6 minutes ago, Havoc88 said:

That would be a bit harsh to put that goal on Henry IMO - the RB was leaving his man and now was already behind him. Essentially Doneil had two guys to cover and #32 didn't do much better to anticipate the run.

I wasn't actually blaming Henry, just stating that since the ball and the player were closest to him that he will take a lot of the blame. I did point out the mistakes of the RB and the other CB which caused Henry to have to cover two players.

I was at the game and even I think that the WHU supporters were incredibly harsh on DH. He played a good enough game having to basically carry the back field on his own. It is pre-season (WHU are definitely in pre-season form) and he will only get better as competition wraps up heading in to the new season.  I'm not overly worried.

Also, the vicious hip-check he landed on Oalex Anderson was... Damn. Took the wind out of OA (and his shin took a knock) but otherwise he was OK. I sometimes forget exactly how large of a human Henry is until I see him standing next to other players.

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Here is one of the goals when Henry was on.

https://streamable.com/gekq

Seems to be his man to cover, but he seems to be creeping to the right side because the RB is losing his man. The other centre back should have covered for Henry's movement. Either way will be partially Henry's fault.

Well it was good movement from Jordan Morris, but I don't understand why Henry never got a foot in to intercept that through ball. It is just a late reaction on his part and unfortunately his centre back partner also hesitated, so in the end neither took the responsibility to deal with it. I'd say him and his partner are to blame more than the right back, but particularly Doniel is at fault because he could have prevented that penetrative ball if he was more sharp, but alas it's preseason so meh

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I still can not find a gif or video of the tackle. I am very interested.

The whole second half is under videos on the Sounders facebook page.  

Happens about 5:30 from the end.

It was solid and he got the ball but studs were up and these days its a yellow for sure.

Biased or not, the commentators said red.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Not sure if if has been mentioned but West Ham sold James Tomkins one of the central defenders to Palace. Still think Henry needs to be loaned to the championship but it could mean some early cup action for him?

I agree wholeheartedly. Best thing for Doneil is to get settled, playing week-in, week-out, and that is best accomplished for a Championship team, like his previous loan. I would much prefer that, to getting piecemeal minutes at West Ham.

yea... that goal isn't Henry's fault at all, he's covering the weak spot the RB has left and while he could maybe dive and get a foot on it, the other CB isn't covering anything and if he drops naturally, Morris goes nowhere, he has no support.

The lad sure has his troubles with injuries and they are hindering his development at this point, he's still young enough to develop further but I just wonder if he's not going to be considered too injury prone for anyone to take a chance on him?

Former Westham defender is always bound to get a look from some club on the continent. I feel sorry for the kid, sometimes all you want to do is get back on the pitch and often you get minor injuries from overcompensation. Really hope he can get past this, these setbacks must be mentally tough as well.