WWC 2015 - Quarter-final - June 27 - Canada vs. England [R]

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but most of these other guys aren't right.  It seems to me, aside from yourself, Vic has been the only one here making consistent sense.

One thing I will say. Most of the comments here are frigging ridiculous.

You have to look at progression in results and not come up with silly reasons why we are getting worse. We are not getting worse, the core of the team is still fine, the result is about what it should have been. Less would not have been good. More would have been very good. 

Why do Canadian fans always come up with this dumb reasoning, for men or women, where because a veteran is not at their peak, you have to thrown in any kid, any, not matter, so they can "build for the future". Or we go on and on about the quality of the play. Canada does not play badly at all, our play is about the 5th to 8th best of the tournament.

I am really afraid of what this board is going to be like if the men make the HEX, it is going to be pure hell. 

Pretty sure if we make the hex this board will be the happiest its ever been. At least i would be.

This board will be as miserable as it has been for the women if we make the HEX.

We'll be harping on and on about who is not good enough, who should be subbed for ever, which guy on the bench should really be on the pitch, who being injured means our chances are shot and if he weren't they wouldn't be, depth chart depth chart and depth chart--and posters will be coming up with all kinds of coaches who could do better than Floro given the circumstances. It's going to be pretty dire.

This may not have helped:

"This could be the tournament [schmidt] becomes the best midfielder in the world," said coach John Herdman after the match, describing how much work she has put into her game.

Her back tracking support of the fullback was strong.  She bailed out the RBs a number of times.  She had some good linkage play but if performance was to be solely measured by goals and assists, then that didn't happen, obviously.

i really didnt see the offensive imagination and ability to create that i would expect from someone who would be described in words that Herdman used.   

i get what he was trying to do.  he was trying to boost his players confidence.   but sometimes making the kind of statemennts (like that one) can have other adverse effects.   like hurting his own credibility or putting too much pressure on schmitt.

Really unfair in my opinion,   she is a good player.  but on her way to becomming the best MF in the world?  come on man!  has he not seen France play?   they have a couple of MF's who fit the bill of a general in MF.

Ps.:  i would have understood had he said something like that about Diana Matheson, even though she has been on the team for a while now.

This board will be as miserable as it has been for the women if we make the HEX.

We'll be harping on and on about who is not good enough, who should be subbed for ever, which guy on the bench should really be on the pitch, who being injured means are chances are shot and if he weren't they wouldn't be, depth chart depth chart and depth chart--and posters will be coming up with all kinds of coaches who could do better than Floro given the circumstances. It's going to be pretty dire.

Ya i dunno. Sign me up for all that you just mentioned. It'd all be worth it if we made the hex.

All that stuff was said when we lost 8-1. Would feel a lot better if this forum was like that if we made the hex.

Ya i dunno. Sign me up for all that you just mentioned. It'd all be worth it if we made the hex.

All that stuff was said when we lost 8-1. Would feel a lot better if this forum was like that if we made the hex.

When you are Canada, in soccer terms, you should be happy if you get one hot meal a day. Gruel even. But we are all a bunch of total connoisseurs, we are talking about Michelin stars. Reminds me of going camping with limited food when I was a teen and sitting in the tent with friends fantasizing about what we would eat if we could. Then breaking out another can of mackerel. 

Without a high performance league, how can you select on-form players when they're not playing regularly for you to evaluate?  How can the cream rise to the top?

...complete confidence in Herdman.  And Sermanni, I really pray we can keep him.  To solve our problem these are the guys we need to give the keys to the car to.

If there is one player who has benefitted from playing regularly in NWSL the last two seasons as well as under this coaching regime it's Kaylyn Kyle.  Two years ago I saw her as big time athletic but technically/tactically limited player but she has really improved with her confidence on the ball and I think has found a spot as a deeper lying holding mid where she can keep the possession rolling.  She's really come a long ways, so much so that it may be good to try a tactical set up where she's starting side by side with Scott in front of the back four.

[ 1 ]  I don't think Kaylyn Kyle's stint in the NWSL has been very successful. The league is only on it's third season and she'll be starting on her fourth team,  the Portland Thorns  ( her prior NWSL  teams are the Seattle Reign, the Boston Breakers, and the Houston Dash .)

Here's some criticism she received while in Houston:

http://www.dynamotheory.com/2014/5/30/5760928/houston-dash-player-review-kaylyn-kyle-nwsl).

[ 2 ]  Converting Kaylyn Kyle to centerback makes sense but she'll have to learn how to play on the left side of Kadeisha Buchanan (who feels more effective on the right-side). Canada certainly needs centerbacks; it's uncertain if  Lauren Sesselmann will regain form and John Herdman doesn't seem to think too highly of Emily Zurrer and Carmelina Moscato. In addition, Kaylyn Kyle HAS  played some games as a centerback for the Seattle Reign. That , and Canada has a lot of mid-fielder prospects in the NCAA who may push for roster  spots.

Correct if I'm wrong but I thought Herdman tried her at CB in a couple of friendlies awhile back.  I also saw her play as a CB with Seattle and that definitely was not her forte and I don't believe that her other club sides have used her in that role since (at least, not regularly).

All I am pointing out is that she has improved a lot in her overall play and that's come from somewhere, probably where she has been playing regularly.

[ 1 ]  I am  not 100 percent certain either, but my memory tells me that Kaylyn Kyle has been a mid-fielder for her entire career for club and country -- the lone exception being the Seattle Reign where she spent most of the 2013 NWSL season as a centerback. I don't think her time as a centerback was a huge  success but neither was it a failure. I've read both praise and criticism for her time in the position.

[ 2 ] Is Kyle's overall play better now when compared to the past ? Sure I've got no problem with that statement. She has played regularly in the NWSL, averaging 85 minutes per game and played  in almost all of the games per season. She has  earned her minutes and deserves praise for that. My point is that even though Kyle got regular minutes for her clubs,  the clubs really didn't value her play enough to want to keep her around for another season.

[ 3 ] I think CANWNT could have a glut of mid-fielders in the future and veterans like Kyle and Scott could face challenges for their mid field positions. In Kyle's case though,  the option of playing center back is something that  could be further explored.

My biggest beef with Kyle was that she would turn the ball backward too often instead of finding some way forward.  She was a real brake on the offense.  I haven't seen her play enough this year to see if she's worked to improve that.  Any thoughts on that?

England were unlucky to lose.  They were the aggressor in the second half and in one short spell alone had three golden opportunities with two narrow misses and the crossbar.

You're playing a team of players five feet tall and you have a six foot attacker and you put her on the wing.  Did you see her go down the line in the opening handshake?  The one time she gets a serviceable ball at the penalty area she nearly wins the game for you.  Why is she not there from the opening whistle and why are you not raining them between the penalty spot and the six?

• 2 weeks later...

Sinclair speaks:

http://www.tsn.ca/sinclair-ready-to-move-on-from-world-cup-disappointment-1.329020

This paragraph tells the whole story:

Sinclair, 32 last month, will not be part of that turnover and there’s even a part of her that’s looking beyond Brazil.

“Once one World Cup ends, I feel like there’s some unfinished business,” Sinclair said of the next edition to be held in France in 2019. “It’s in the back of your mind, but obviously, the focus right now is just qualifying for Rio.”

Is she serious? I realize that she is one of the best women soccer players ever, but after the average World Cup she just had, does she think she can make a difference in 4 years time? Why not have her play in 2023 while we are at it.

I hate to say it but I think the best thing that could happen to this team is to not qualify for Rio. It will force a major shakeup. I keep flashing back to David Beckham wanting to play at the 2010 World Cup. The coach never had to make that decision because of his major injury but imagine if Beckham had been healthy? Would anyone in the English FA have had the guts to not select him? I feel that Sinclair is seen as an untouchable and that irritates me. As a player, you are only as good as your last tournament. Sinclair was average at best at the WWC. She can still be of help at the Olympic qulaifiers but she shouldn't be an automatic choice.

When was the last time that Sinclair was a sub for Canada or didn't play while being in the squad? I do think that is part of the reason why is she's untouchable. I don't think that missing Rio would help at all. I do think that Herdman needs to make difficult decisions in cutting some veterans before the Olympic qualifiers. I also think that Sinclair shoudln't be inserted in the lineup by default once in a while to see how those ladies play without her. And if you ask me right now, I would think that Sinclair still has something to offer past 2016 to that team. Could she be sacrificed along the way? Sure, but could she help that team in a diminished way?

I think the whole team believes in her still and if you're still passionate about the game which Sinclair is, I wouldn't think that it's bad what she says, because she belives in herself that way.

My biggest beef with Kyle was that she would turn the ball backward too often instead of finding some way forward.  She was a real brake on the offense.  I haven't seen her play enough this year to see if she's worked to improve that.  Any thoughts on that?

Thank you so much for saying this!  I had been thinking the same thing for a LONG time now, before I knew anyone else thought this.  I haven't seen Kyle make any creative passes.  Her passes seem too "safe" (like you said, going backwards).  However, I don't claim to be a soccer expert.

To those who are saying that Filigno is missing what Kyle has, what about the fact that Filigno at least scores a goal here and there (maybe per 6 or 7 games?).  Kyle doesn't score nearly as much, and I thought our biggest problem now is scoring goals?  Hence, I don't understand why Kyle should be preferred over Filigno.  I am not saying Filigno is a reliable finisher, but at least she does surprise us here and there.  I just don't understand why people like Kyle more than Filigno when Kyle isn't the answer to our biggest problem (goal scoring) right now?

To those who are saying that Filigno is missing what Kyle has, what about the fact that Filigno at least scores a goal here and there (maybe per 6 or 7 games?).  Kyle doesn't score nearly as much, and I thought our biggest problem now is scoring goals?  Hence, I don't understand why Kyle should be preferred over Filigno.  I am not saying Filigno is a reliable finisher, but at least she does surprise us here and there.  I just don't understand why people like Kyle more than Filigno when Kyle isn't the answer to our biggest problem (goal scoring) right now?

You're also comparing a forward with a defensive midfielder. If you compared Kyle to Lawrence, Schmidt, Matheson, Scott, ie other midfielders it's fair game, but to compare her to Filigno is ridiculous.

It's like saying oh I don't think that Shea Weber should play on Canada, because Sydney Crosby scores more goals. Should Kyle start? No, but I don't think anyone would start Kyle over FIligno.

You're also comparing a forward with a defensive midfielder. If you compared Kyle to Lawrence, Schmidt, Matheson, Scott, ie other midfielders it's fair game, but to compare her to Filigno is ridiculous.

It's like saying oh I don't think that Shea Weber should play on Canada, because Sydney Crosby scores more goals. Should Kyle start? No, but I don't think anyone would start Kyle over FIligno.

John Herdman started Kyle in the Netherlands game.  Don't call my opinion "ridiculous".  It's rude and I don't deserve that.  How can you not compare Filigno and Kyle when Herdman CONSTANTLY subs one for the other?

I'm just saying why would Herdman pick Kyle over a forward when goals are what we are lacking?

Archived