Sign in to follow this  
Blue and White Army

WWC 2015 - Quarter-final - June 27 - Canada vs. England [R]

PRE-MATCH VENUE: Doolin's Irish Pub (654 Nelson St, at Granville). Doors open 11:30am.

• website
  • menu
  • 23 craft, domestic and imported beers on tap
MARCH TO THE STADIUM: Will leave Doolin's at 3:15pm sharp.
  • Route is across Granville St, then down Robson St.
  • If joining the march from the Fan Zone, be at the corner of Robson and Cambie shortly after 3:15pm.
----

MATCH OFFICIALLY SOLD OUT

if buying tickets:

1) Rear of section 402 (single-letter rows preferred)

2) Front of section 402 (single-letter rows preferred)

3) Rear of section 406

Edited by DJT

Canada really has a favorable draw. They have a chance against england forsure.

Too bad one of france/ germany has to go out at the quarters.

Canada playing the semis on canada would be one of the most amazing experiences ever.

Something to be wary of.  England are very good in the air.  You would never think you would watch a Norway/England game and say it but England were better.  And then there is Steph Houghton who didn't even have to leap because she out-muscled two defenders for her goal to get them back in the game.  She also had her hands on the back of every single Norwegian throughout the game every time she went up for a ball and didn't even get warned.

Vic.

Quite right about Houghton on the goal.  She pushed off of the shoulder on the defender immediately in front of her. 

Defenders on the shoulders of forwards was noted as a problem in Germany 2011. 

Vic.

Quite right about Houghton on the goal.  She pushed off of the shoulder on the defender immediately in front of her. 

Defenders on the shoulders of forwards was noted as a problem in Germany 2011. 

All talk of pushing and shoulders would be immaterial if the Norwegian defender assigned to the post had stayed on the post.  :(

For sure, and luckily she scored their goal to keep her +/- even.  How many goals have you seen because of no defender on the post?  At every level; men's, women's, club, international... you wonder how something so basic get's executed so poorly.

Houghton is a monster.  She's danger off the foot and in the air to net and is a one-man wall at the other end.  I think she could out-muscle half a team to get to a ball.  In the middle of the field on open-headers she has hands on back a lot.  It was odd to see it never called.

Vic.

Quite right about Houghton on the goal. She pushed off of the shoulder on the defender immediately in front of her.

This is completely untrue. Houghton just gets there first and doesn't even come close to fouling anybody. You can watch it on YouTube to see for yourself.

Edited by Lofty

dsqpr

My claim is based on viewing slo-mo of the goal, many times.  Part of how "she gets there" is by using her hand on the shoulder of the defender.  You are wrong, but it does not stop her effort from being impressive.

dsqpr

My claim is based on viewing slo-mo of the goal, many times.  Part of how "she gets there" is by using her hand on the shoulder of the defender.  You are wrong, but it does not stop her effort from being impressive.

I have it on PVR too. Not within a million miles of being a foul. That's why the ref didn't call it and why it has never been mentioned in any match report that there was even a hint of a foul on that goal. Players aren't expected to run around like penguins with their hands by their sides you know!

Edited by Lofty

Mapleblood is correct.  #6 Mjelde is fouled / dragged backwards.  Houghton has her by the scruff of the neck during the entirety of her charge into the header.

(#3 Skammelsrud is not fouled on the play, maybe you're looking at her?)

Mapleblood is correct. #6 Mjelde is fouled / dragged backwards. Houghton has her by the scruff of the neck during the entirety of her charge into the header.

(#3 Skammelsrud is not fouled on the play, maybe you're looking at her?)

#6 misjudges the flight of the corner and runs sideways and backwards trying to get to it eventually losing her balance and just falling over backwards as Houghton heads the ball. It looks as though there is a small amount of incidental contact as there is at most headers from a corner but there is no holding no dragging and no foul, just a perfectly timed jump and header. (The broadcast shows it from four different angles and it is crystal clear there is no foul - from the pictures and the commentary and the reaction of the Norway players.) Edited by Lofty

It's funny, watching it in the stadium from good seats I thought it was clean, but watching it here I can see the controversy.  She definitely spins her and pulls her to ground but it's after heading home.  How that's called I have no idea, and less care, it's not really important at this point.  But my point of how she challenges is ironically valid even here where I didn't think it was.  She frequently has her hands high on the back over the back when she challenges for the ball.  You try slam dunking a ball with a meat hook over your shoulder.

Edited by Vic

It's funny, watching it in the stadium from good seats I thought it was clean, but watching it here I can see the grounds for question.   Sure looks to me like Mjelde can't challenge properly because she is being dragged and pulled to ground.  I'll condeed either interpretation, but regardless what's correct, my point from how she plays every ball in the air is ironically valid even here where I didn't think it was.  She frequently has her hands high on the back over the back when she challenges for the ball.

Having your hands on or over the back is not a foul unless you are holding or pushing though. Good refs know that football is a contact sport and players often have their hands on each other as they jockey for position, either at headers or during normal play, but that is not a foul.

It's too bad we can't all look at it together because I can see no argument whatsoever for a foul and I've watched it several times from all four angles on a 50" TV in super slo mo. The only possible conclusion is that we have different opinions of what constitutes a foul (the referee, the commentator, the Norway players, and the authors of all game reports that I have seen all agree with mine :)!)

The only thing I see is that the Norway player is pushed up against Steph as they jockey for position and as Steph comes down from her jump her arm is over the Norway player's shoulder but the header is long since gone and that is just normal incidental contact after a header. I hope that's not what you guys are calling a foul!

Edited by Lofty

Having your hands on or over the back is not a foul unless you are holding or pushing though. Good refs know that football is a contact sport and players often have their hands on each other as they jockey for position, either at headers or during normal play, but that is not a foul.

It's too bad we can't all look at it together because I can see no argument whatsoever for a foul and I've watched it several times from all four angles on a 50" TV in super slo mo. The only possible conclusion is that we have different opinions of what constitutes a foul (the referee, the commentator, the Norway players, and the authors of all game reports that I have seen all agree with mine :)!)

The only thing I see is that the Norway player is pushed up against Steph as they jockey for position and as Steph comes down from her jump her arm is over the Norway player's shoulder but the header is long since gone and that is just normal incidental contact after a header. I hope that's not what you guys are calling a foul!

Correct that position of the hands is not a foul in itself, after all hands have to be somewhere. Players like to stay in touch with the opponent by touching him/her with their hands to sense or anticipate movement.  However as an official when you are on the field you can see intention from the players expression, force of their movements, persistency in using a bit too much physicallity, hear their tone and last but not least retaliation from a previous foul or plain getting mad and frustrated from their own shortcomings.

Players often touch and have their hands on each other to feel their presence, not over the shoulder and not extending their arms to hold players away when going up for headers which is her signature.  She had her hands over the top of Mjelde's shoulder in the run-up, not after.  I have 3840x2160 4k :)

I'm fine with it not being called but I wouldn't complain if it was.  But regardless, she does use her arms to gain an advantage when she plays.

But regardless, she does use her arms to gain an advantage when she plays.

And her legs Vic, and her body, as do all other players, some more effectively than others! There is no rule against using your hands to gain an advantage!

Players to watch for England:

#10 Karen Carney

#22 Fran Kirby

#8 Jill Scott

#1 Karen Bardsley (keeper)

#10 Karen Carney is England's biggest attacking threat. Very skillful on the ball, has an eye for goal, but is just as likely to set one up as score one. England's attack would be greatly diminished without her, as it was against France.

#22 Fran Kirby is a youngster who came on as a sub and sparked England to the win against Mexico with the winning goal but has been less effectime since then in a starting role. She likes to run at people and make things happen. My guess is she will be a sub for this match but watch out when she comes on.

#8 Jill Scott is a veteran midfielder sometimes rather unkindly referred to as the Lionesses Peter Crouch because of her tall thin build but she is one of the best all around midfielders in this tournament. She is strong on the ball and can hold possession, and can create goals as well as score them. Has somewhat surprisingly not started the last couple of matches as Sampson searches for the magic formula but changed the game in England's favour when she came on against Norway - and helped to set up Lucy Bronze's winner.

#1 Karen Bardsley is the keeper and is probably England's weak link although she played an absolute blinder against Norway. Handling of the ball can be shaky and she is prone to giving up juicy rebounds. If Canada can find a shot on goal and throw caution to the wind with a second attacker to follow it up it they are not likely to regret it.

Edited by Lofty

Sorry, I thought unfair advantage was evident but on reading it now I can see it wasn't.  Good answer from how it was written though.

I have no problem with difference of opinion here...

I'd agree on Bardsley, she's pretty clunky but then so is van der Sar.  Perhaps she's coming into her own.  Kirby was useless in the Norway game and got pulled early.  She looked like a touch player who was out of rhythm.  Carney wasn't much of a factor.  I was kind of surprised because I thought Sanderson would play.  Perhaps not a coaches favourite again?  Other than the strike out of the blue and the header, England didn't really create a whole lot.  What they did really well was absorb the Norwegian pressure.  Jill Scott played well and is trouble on set pieces.

Sorry, I thought unfair advantage was evident but on reading it now I can see it wasn't. Good answer from how it was written though.

I have no problem with difference of opinion here...

Differences of opinion are healthy! But the laws of the game do not mention anything about an "unfair advantage". If you think she is fouling her opponents then you are going to have to say which rule she is breaking. The most obvious ones would be holding and pushing and it has to be hard enough to be a lot more than minor contact, intentional or otherwise, which is an inherent part of the game.

If you don't break any of the laws of the game then any advantage you gain is a fair one.

Edited by Lofty

That was... "Players often touch and have their hands on each other to feel their presence, not over the shoulder and not extending their arms to hold players away when going up for headers which is her signature."  That's my opinion, or rather IMHO FWIW.

And her legs Vic, and her body, as do all other players, some more effectively than others! There is no rule against using your hands to gain an advantage!

Well if you grab a player its a foul. If you jump for a header arms extended and wack someone in the face its a foul. If you put your arms on someones back and use them as a base to propel yourself its a foul. If you extend your hand to block a ball its a foul.

Just like there are many fouls given using your feet. Your feet and hands can be used to gain unfair advantages, and when they are used in that manner, a foul should be given.

Edited by king1010

Uruguayan crew.  Claudia Umpierrez (great name for a referee) did the US/Australia and Swiss/Cameroon games.