WWC 2015 - Quarter-final - June 27 - Canada vs. England [R]

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as the women play ho-hum, automatically, often heartlessly, with little to no gamesmanship, never finding reason to get a competitive advantage even when it is staring them in the face, then how can you expect crowds to get into it? The fans support the way the women play. In this tournament we see the women play, very often, as if they don't care if they lose. Unfair penalty, oh gosh. Bad call against you? Sheesh, pout and run back bravely anyways. Lose, shrug shoulders and walk off.

Some people call this great sportwomenship, a great example, never complaining, never calling for the ball to go the other way, never gettting in the face of opponents or going hard just to make a statement. Never pushing the ref, rivals or their own teammates. An example for the men even.  I find it perhaps the most tiresome part of the women's game, what makes it fundamentally duller than the men, What makes it sometimes feel heartless. There is very little edge, very little play on the limit. It all fits into a nice little playing field, like playing a board game.

While the players just go through the motions, as if tuned out, being good sports and playing their game just nicely thanks, don't ask the crowd to get behind you. That is simply contradictory. 

Women play, very often, as if they don't care if they lose. Some people call this great sportwomenship, a great example, never complaining, never calling for the ball to go the other way, never gettting in the face of opponents or going hard just to make a statement. I find it perhaps the most tiresome part of the women's game, what makes it fundamentally duller than the men. 

It might be fair to say this is how we played for sections of the last game and at many points during this tournament.  It is absurd however to make a blanket statement that this is how women typically play the game, or even how the Canadian women usually play the game. Even at the lowest tiers of my rec league, I can tell you women care if they lose.

The CSA runs games well.  I mean national team games. They have the procedures and processes down. 

They are very helpful to us on game day and leading up to a game.  People don't wait in line outside forever and crap like that.

It's the time between games we need to capitalize on and where we failed wrt to this World Cup.

The CSA runs games well.  I mean national team games. They have the procedures and processes down. 

They are very helpful to us on game day and leading up to a game.  People don't wait in line outside forever and crap like that....anymore

FYP

People  here  are  complaining  about  the crowd  noise   in  comparison  of  the  Americans  I  think  it  is  a  Canadian  Sport  thing  no  matter  what  the  sport  Canadian  crowds  are  very  quite.  with  the  exception  of the fans  at  the  Bell  Centre   for  a  Habs  game,  and  m,aybe  Winnipeg  for  a  jets  game.  As  far  the  American  Outlaws  or  American  Doushbags  as  I  like  to  call  them   theey   just  yell  and  yell.

The Americans in Ottawa weren't really very game savvy.  They would cheer at weird moments like when a Chinese defender accidentally hit a ball over her teammates head out of bounds.  The largest cheer of all wasn't when they scored or won, it was when Wambach subbed in with five minutes to go.  And when she did, oh man is she slow.  She may have taken months off to play in the Cup but she runs like she's 35 going on 60.

The only chant, given it was 25 times, was "USA!  USA!  USA!"

The Americans in Ottawa weren't really very game savvy.  They would cheer at weird moments like when a Chinese defender accidentally hit a ball over her teammates head out of bounds.  The largest cheer of all wasn't when they scored or won, it was when Wambach subbed in with five minutes to go.  And when she did, oh man is she slow.  She may have taken months off to play in the Cup but she runs like she's 35 going on 60.

I Watching on TV, this sounds about right. 

The amazing thing was the sheer number of American fans.  I talked to a lot of them, flew in from New York, Chicago, Kansas City, drove up from Philly, Boston, etc.  They all dress to the nines and have a lot of fun.  Lots of adults, lot of kids.  The usual 1 in 100 loud and obnoxious but a lot of great first class people.  I was really impressed by their support.

when Wambach subbed in with five minutes to go.  And when she did, oh man is she slow.  She may have taken months off to play in the Cup but she runs like she's 35 going on 60.

LOL am sure she will say the artificial turf was slowing her down.

The amazing thing was the sheer number of American fans.  I talked to a lot of them, flew in from New York, Chicago, Kansas City, drove up from Philly, Boston, etc.  They all dress to the nines and have a lot of fun.  Lots of adults, lot of kids.  The usual 1 in 100 loud and obnoxious but a lot of great first class people.  I was really impressed by their support.

Agreed. They were definitely decked out in as much star-spangled banner accessories as possible.

In my section there was one other cheer that they did before the game and near the end. A call and response type thing that went "I think we're going to win". Oh yeah, in injury time they did the really classy na-na-na-na-hey-hey-hey-goodbye garbage - I really wanted China to score then!

English player in AFTN piece says the same about Canadians:

"We've kind of discussed it," Taylor admits. "Obviously we know it's going to be a huge factor, the crowd. When you compare it to being from England, and it's a real football culture and you've got a real football crowd. Even experiencing men's football, I don't think the Canadians, and no disrespect to Canadians, but as a nature, as the game goes on, they don't really cheer and support at the right time.

They cheer and do different things that probably we would expect to see," Taylor continued. "I think it will be a little erratic to be honest, but we're expecting that. The crowd may cheer at something which maybe a normal crowd wouldn't cheer at or go silent when a normal, experienced crowd would probably help.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/aftn/englands-jodie-taylor-focused-on-making-more-history-against-canada-the-pressures-been-on-them-the-whole-time-and-its-only-going-to-get-more-for-them-r5335

England XI:  Bardsley, Rafferty, Williams, Houghton, Bassett, Scott, Carney, Moore, Bronze, Chapman, Taylor.

Canada XI:  McLeod, Buchanan, Wilkinson, Belanger, Sesselmann, Scott, Sinclair, Schmidt, Tancredi, Chapman, Lawrence.

Welp. Some of us have been saying this all tournament about sessleman. Some shocking gaffes. Finally cost us.

Too bad Herdman loves Sesselman and Tancredi should be 1-0 Canada, Now Sinclair has to save us.

Just watching how useless Tancredi is is painful. Dito for Sesselman.

Tancredi hasn't been able to hit the net all tournament, why should she start today? Sessleman has had several blunders in the tournament so far.

How does Erin McLeod, a womens World Cup goalie, have a ball go over her head and in the net when she is standing underneath the crossbar? The biggest upgrade needed in womens soccer is at the keeper position. Many of these keepers have been shocking this tournament.

Canada scores off a "surprise surprise" shitty goalkeeping error.

Do the goalkeeping coaches at the womens World Cup just sit there and just say to themselves "what the hell can I do" ?

Just shoot high from half every time you get the ball, it will work against every country except the USA.

Lots of flac against Tancredi, but she was there for two great chances.  It's easy to judge a clear miss, but harder to judge not making yourself part of a great play.  How many great chances did the others get?  At least Tanc is hunting for a goal.

I really hope they stop trying to connect over the top. Besides the Sinclair to Tancredi ball, most have landed right in the keeper's gut.

Crosses from the wings, or on the ground through the middle seems the way to go.

Archived