WWC 2015 - Quarter-final - June 27 - Canada vs. England [R]

Our men are ranked 109. Women don't need thousands of fans. They just want an opportunity to continue to play and improve and be taken seriously. Is that too much to ask for the #8 country in the world and semi and quarter-finalists in the last two major tournaments?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL I enjoy rattling your cage old man.

Not rattling my cage, I think you were being phoney and used the artificial turf "issue" and support the women as a swerve for your long standing CSA hate crusade.

You want to support women, come out against those FHITP-like creeps who are all over Sesselmann now.

Yes, Tancredi did not capitalize on her chances.  But once she was off the field, it's not like Canada all of a sudden started creating boatloads of scoring opportunities.

For everyone criticizing the style of play of the women's team and asking for tika taka, I would question if many (any?) teams are playing this style.  From the games I've watched, I can't recall too many moments of what I would consider team creativity on the field, as a lot of goals seem to come from athleticism and defensive/goalkeeping errors.

As for the calibre of goalkeeping, this has been a area of weakness for a long time.  I can recall Kara Lang scoring bags of goals by taking shots from distance on a keeper that couldn't cover the top part of the net.  My guess is some of this comes down to biology, as the net isn't any smaller in the women's game than it is in the men's, but the men's teams likely have a larger pool of 6 foot 6 giants with cat like reflexes to choose from.

While she didnt necessarily play poorly, I thought we would see a lot more from sophie schmidt this tournament.

Yes, I agree.  She was on form leading up to the tournament, and probably our best player then.  Maybe she let the moment get to her, or maybe the game is just that much more difficult in the tournament.  It seems like everyone is having trouble playing through the middle of the field.

While she didnt necessarily play poorly, I thought we would see a lot more from sophie schmidt this tournament.

As I've said, that are a lot more than two people who need to look themselves in the mirror over their performance throughout this tournament.  In fact there may be only two who needn't.

Schmidt's injury didn't help either.

The good news for Canada is England can't go to the Olympics next year even though they are the 3rd best European team. 

The tournament is a watered down to 12 teams so Canada should be able to make another good impression.

NetherlandsNorwaySweden and Switzerland) will compete in the UEFA play-offs to decide the last spot.

In 2012 Germany wasn't there since they lost in the 1/4 finals in the 2011 WC.

[ 1 ]   The provisional dates for the 2016 CONCACAF women's Olympic Qualifying tournament is January 21 - 31, 2016. The host city has yet to be named.

[ 2 ] The schedule for the UEFA  play-off tournament between Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland overlaps with the Algarve Cup and the Cyprus Cup -- meaning that these 4 nations  can't attend  either one of the annual tournaments.  With tournament spots opening up, there is a chance that CANWNT could play in the 2016 Algarve Cup next year.

As I've said, that are a lot more than two people who need to look themselves in the mirror over their performance throughout this tournament.  In fact there may be only two who needn't.

Schmidt's injury didn't help either.

This may not have helped:

"This could be the tournament [schmidt] becomes the best midfielder in the world," said coach John Herdman after the match, describing how much work she has put into her game.

Her back tracking support of the fullback was strong.  She bailed out the RBs a number of times.  She had some good linkage play but if performance was to be solely measured by goals and assists, then that didn't happen, obviously.

Top world midfielder didn't happen, but neither did I think Schmidt was useless on the pitch. 

As for people insulting Sesselmann on twitter, if you wouldn't say it to her face, then shut up.  And if you would say it to her face, I hope Shauna Hunt is nearby.  Critiquing someone wearing our jersey is allowed.  Threatening them and belittling them is absolutely not.

This is what Lauren posted on her page:

"Words cannot describe how utterly heartbroken I am. The tears have not stopped flowing and this one is going to hurt for a really really long time. Yes I slipped, yes they scored and yes you can blame me all you want..If that's what makes you feel better fine. No one knows how hard I worked to get back from injury to be a part of this special team and make a difference. I know my worth and I know all the great things I've done to help this team get here. For all you classless people with your negative comments and threats you know absolutely nothing. You can sit there and choose to focus on every negative and pick apart our team BUT you have NO IDEA how much passion, heart and hard work this team puts in. No matter what any of you say I am so damn proud to wear this jersey and so damn proud of what we have accomplished and how hard we fought. Yes we arn't perfect and yes we ALL made mistakes, every great athlete makes mistakes..YOU even make mistakes..it's part of life...but it's how you respond that matters, and we never stopped fighting. And I can promise you all this...WE WILL be back and WE WILL be better. THANK YOU to all the fans who have supported us thru thick and thin...and Thank you to my friends and family...Who ALWAYS believe in me and pick me up when I fall. I am so proud to play alongside all of these beautiful and talented women...This truly will be a journey I will never forget. I you all and can't wait for what's to come. The future is extremely bright."

Im not so sure about the future being extremely bright. The talent in the pipeline isnt as strong as this generation of players who peaked a couple of years ago. (Hence why girls like tancredi and sessleman started) there was nobody clearly better than them challenging for their spots. Which says a lot about our depth given how poorly some girls played in crucial moments.

I dont for one second question their work ethic or desire, some just didnt have what it took to play against the elite of the world.

I rewatched the Germany/France game, and there were misses in that game that put Tancredi's in perspective.  Sasic had an open header from just in front of the middle of the goal and put it over.  Thiney's miss at the end was dumbfounding.  Necib's at the beginning of the game.  Those are world class players, and they all missed.  It happens.

I rewatched the Germany/France game, and there were misses in that game that put Tancredi's in perspective.  Sasic had an open header from just in front of the middle of the goal and put it over.  Thiney's miss at the end was dumbfounding.  Necib's at the beginning of the game.  Those are world class players, and they all missed.  It happens.

True, but with Tancredi I felt that her overall game wasn't there.  Too many poor first touches that resulted in possession losses during the build up play really stood out for me.

Yes, it happens...but watch the replay from each of those missed opportunities. The difference in technique - especially Tancredi vs. Necib - is obvious. Tancredi has been a willing soldier. But that's exactly the issue - we have lots of soldiers, and precious few (if any) artists.

Yes, it happens...but watch the replay from each of those missed opportunities. The difference in technique - especially Tancredi vs. Necib - is obvious. Tancredi has been a willing soldier. But that's exactly the issue - we have lots of soldiers, and precious few (if any) artists.

You mean the 40 yd cross field pass that Tanc controlled perfectly? Not sure that is the comparison you're looking for.

Besides that touch (which was magnificent before she blew the ball over the net) she honestly didn't have many other deft touches so in essence I'm agreeing with you. In fact when Sinclair let that pass go I was convinced it was either going to skip by her out of bounds or she would lose it to a defender with a heavy touch. Inside she brought if down expertly and then missed the frame. *sigh*

Im not so sure about the future being extremely bright. The talent in the pipeline isnt as strong as this generation of players who peaked a couple of years ago. (Hence why girls like tancredi and sessleman started) there was nobody clearly better than them challenging for their spots. Which says a lot about our depth given how poorly some girls played in crucial moments.

I dont for one second question their work ethic or desire, some just didnt have what it took to play against the elite of the world.

How in gods green earth do you know the pipeline is not as strong?

If the CSA staff would get out and watch players all across the country from u15 and above they would the pipeline full of technical players and players with world class speed...the truth is Herdman et al do not go see new players, he has no published pln of what he wants, no metrics no nothing but his brain laboratory, as if he is using some Wilder Penfield rub goldbrick machine from 1960.

Said it before, the talent is there Herdman needs to go looking for diamonds to cut and polish, instead of stirring smaller and smaller embers of the Edmonton U19s.

How in gods green earth do you know the pipeline is not as strong?

If the CSA staff would get out and watch players all across the country from u15 and above they would the pipeline full of technical players and players with world class speed...the truth is Herdman et al do not go see new players, he has no published pln of what he wants, no metrics no nothing but his brain laboratory, as if he is using some Wilder Penfield rub goldbrick machine from 1960.

Said it before, the talent is there Herdman needs to go looking for diamonds to cut and polish, instead of stirring smaller and smaller embers of the Edmonton U19s.

Oh so true about scouting.  I have concluded that Herdman doesn't know how to do any of that, nor does he have the skills himself to teach them.

Archived