WWC 2015 - Quarter-final - June 27 - Canada vs. England [R]

John Herdman started Kyle in the Netherlands game.  Don't call my opinion "ridiculous".  It's rude and I don't deserve that.  How can you not compare Filigno and Kyle when Herdman CONSTANTLY subs one for the other?

I'm just saying why would Herdman pick Kyle over a forward when goals are what we are lacking?

I'll make myself more clear. If you compare Klye to Filigno only on the goals those two players have scored, it's ridiculous, not because one has scored more goals means that she is better. That was my point. Herdman didn't bring on Kyle to score goals, and that's not her job. When she plays, it's up to Schmidt & Sinclair. to be more advanced and have those goal-scoring opportunities that Filigno would get (especially if she doesn't replace Scott).  He changes the tactical scheme by doing a sub like that. Could he bring a Leon or another forward instead of Kyle? Sure,but maybe he wants one of his top player in a position so she can score goals.

Also, against the Netherlands, Kyle started for Scott, not Filigno. Leon and Flieming started for Filigno and Tancredi.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Sinc_Tanc   If you are referring to my post about Filigno where I draw a comparison to Kyle, I think you may have misinterpreted my evaluation. I was pointing out the limitations of Filigno but I was NOT complimenting Kyle's play. What I was saying is that both of those players appear to be really hard working because they run miles but that in both cases they are usually behind the play and chasing it, which makes them less effective than if they played positionally smarter and didn't have to expend as much energy. They both are a little suspect on their fist touch and often turn over the ball. As was pointed out, Kyle's answer is to often play the ball back unnecessarily which puts pressure on the back line.

I don't rate either player very highly as far as getting forward in an organized attack. What I did try to say was that the upside for Kyle is that she is tough as nails and does make some good tackles defensively, something I don't see in Filigno's game.   

Archived