Scott Arfield

Has Arfield made any comment on this at all? Do we even know if he wants any part of playing for us? The only reports I have seen say that Canada has been reaching out.

If he does come over here I would welcome him with open arms. Doesn't matter to me of he's ever been here or not, if he's allowed to play, he plays. I'll cheer my ass off.

It's fun when Marc Bircham, a player who retired internationally for Canada because he wasn't playing for us is considered as a god by some people on here. It was a nice story, but to say that he was more benefical than 90% of Canadian internationals is ludicrous. He was an okay player, and he drank beers in Kingston with a couple of V's, but that doesn't make him a god like Keegan has said.

I do think that Arfield is trying to get called by Scotland by reaching Canada. I don't know if he's geniounely interested in our program. If he is, he just has to file his one-time switch and I'll believe him. Until then, meh.

Is God a synonym for Canadian?  Because I never said that, nor have I seen anyone on this forum call Bircham a god and I also didn't even bring up that story about Kingston but that's cool.  I guess saying someone is good for something equates to worshipping them as a god, I'll try to choose my words more carefully.  If Bircham is a god I have more gods than Greek mythology. 

Is God a synonym for Canadian?  Because I never said that, nor have I seen anyone on this forum call Bircham a god and I also didn't even bring up that story about Kingston but that's cool.  I guess saying someone is good for something equates to worshipping them as a god, I'll try to choose my words more carefully.  If Bircham is a god I have more gods than Greek mythology. 

Ok, but he wasn't a top 10% of Canadian players. PErhaps it was an easy sophism, but I stand by the point that Bircham wasn't a top 10% of Canadian players.

Ok, but he wasn't a top 10% of Canadian players. PErhaps it was an easy sophism, but I stand by the point that Bircham wasn't a top 10% of Canadian players.

That's fair, my argument is that as a coach he is a valuable asset and has been able to influence Canadian soccer positively and not many Canadian players do that after retirement.  He is one of what, 7 pro coaches?  Yallop, Watson, Dasovic, Miller, MDS, Marcina, Bircham.

Edit: 8, I forgot about Peschisolido.

Edited by Keegan

Its probably someone in Arnfield's camp trying to force Scotland's hand into calling him up.  We are all getting in a tizzy about a 10 word blurb/rumor, I'd like to see something more concrete.  Then lets have the Aird, Vittoria, Hoilett, Akendele, Ethan Findly, who is Canadian argument. 

That's fair, my argument is that as a coach he is a valuable asset and has been able to influence Canadian soccer positively and not many Canadian players do that after retirement. He is one of what, 7 pro coaches? Yallop, Watson, Dasovic, Miller, MDS, Marcina, Bircham.

Edit: 8, I forgot about Peschisolido.

Rob Friend has a 5 year-old son that was ripping up U6 this year in North Van. If his son goes on to play for Canada, does that make Rob a top 10% player?

Rob Friend has a 5 year-old son that was ripping up U6 this year in North Van. If his son goes on to play for Canada, does that make Rob a top 10% player?

He already is. 

Canadian Tower, baby!

Edited by Obinna

Have to imagine Bircham also had a hand in bringing Petrasso and Careiro to QPR  as well, another benefit from bringing him on board back in the day.

It would be nice to hold ourselves to higher standards than Germany and Portugal, but we don't have that luxury.  Bob, surely you must get tired of jetting around the continent watching us lose?  It's an interesting novelty, but after a while I'd take a few extra points here and there even if it meant calling up the equivalent of the foreign guest-worker program.

Bob, surely you must get tired of jetting around the continent watching us lose?  It's an interesting novelty, but after a while I'd take a few extra points here and there even if it meant calling up the equivalent of the foreign guest-worker program.

I don't enjoy losses, but I enjoy jetting around the continent watching the men and women who represent my country. If they're just "some guys", I won't care if they win any more than I care about the Portuguese jai alai team.

Fair enough.  I'd take the odd "mercenary" like Spain with Diego Costa if it allows those remaining 10 men who "truly" represent the country to do so at a higher level.

I always say in these cases it should be up to the players as a group.  I feel like they'd be pissed and actually play worse if they knew the team wasn't what it could be, because a supporters' group (who, unlike the players, have no financial interest in how well the team does) disagreed as to what made a player Canadian enough