Scott Arfield

Is this not about Scott Arfield?

No, it is about what constitutes a "true" Canadian. Can you NOT read the title? 

It clearly reads in plan english: My idea of the ideal Canadian NT is....

And seeing how we are discussing such an important matter, i'd appreciate it if you never hijacked our thread with talk about some guy named Scott Arfield (whoever that is...).

Now - back on the topic(s) at hand...

1. jpg75 - if you are convinced someone does not believe your claim, you are more than welcome to back it up with a factual link, but I suspect nobody is discrediting your comment. They are just trolling you and branding it as "ridiculous" because of semantics. Some out there might say one cannot technically be both an 'immigrant' and a 'native', though I'm with you my friend. I'm with you.

2. Lord Bob - what a virtuous notion - favouring players who are "truly Canadian"! By the grace of god we shall field the purest of pure starting 11's. The Canadian Gold Standard. 

So you disagree that they came to the America's 20 000 years ago across the Siberian ice bridge?

While the land bridge theory is dominant in Canadian and American thinking, in Latin America the multiple migration to multiple entrance points theory is dominant. In this theory people arrived in North and South America from distinct parts of the other continents by diverse means and entered the Americas in distinct points - some by watercraft from Polynesia, some by watercraft from Africa and supposedly also from China. All of these are plausible.

You may want to check out the following:

Harvard Professor Confirms Bering Strait Theory Is Not Fact

The DNA studies have proven that Native Americans have NO Asian DNA. 

People were keeping warm by a fire in a rock shelter at least 56,000 years ago, according to new analysis of what may be the oldest known human record in the Americas

The long-gone land bridge between Asia and Alaska... flooded about 12,000 years ago, a new study suggests... That's about a thousand years earlier than previously thought, adding to evidence that humans may have reached the Americas by other means.

While the land bridge theory is dominant in Canadian and American thinking, in Latin America the multiple migration to multiple entrance points theory is dominant. In this theory people arrived in North and South America from distinct parts of the other continents by diverse means and entered the Americas in distinct points - some by watercraft from Polynesia, some by watercraft from Africa and supposedly also from China. All of these are plausible.

You may want to check out the following:

Harvard Professor Confirms Bering Strait Theory Is Not Fact

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/07/31/harvard-professor-confirms-bering-strait-theory-not-fact

The DNA studies have proven that Native Americans have NO Asian DNA. 

http://www.lignod.com/w-map.jpg

People were keeping warm by a fire in a rock shelter at least 56,000 years ago, according to new analysis of what may be the oldest known human record in the Americas

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.archaeology/2009-09/msg00169.html

The long-gone land bridge between Asia and Alaska... flooded about 12,000 years ago, a new study suggests... That's about a thousand years earlier than previously thought, adding to evidence that humans may have reached the Americas by other means.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061017-bering.html

Thanks for the links brennanfan, i'll check them out in greater detail later. I think they just found a pre-Clovis site down in South Carolina dating back to 23,000 years ago.

Anyways just cuz there's no one there to call you a Kraut or Irish dog doesn't mean you're not an immigrant.

Back to Scotty Arfield. Until there's a better source than the gossip pages i'm going to be cynical about this rumour. Also have to question why a 26 yr old EPL player hasn't been called up, what's the deal?

I'm curious about Arfield's father, were his parents Scottish and the family moved temporarily to Canada (like de Jong or Johnsons' families) or is he a multi-generational Canadian who moved to Scotland. The first scenario pretty much means Arfield is as Scottish as it gets. If it's scenario two he's the son of a Canadian raised abroad which puts him in Landycakes territory.

• 1 month later...

He seems class. Of course he wants to play for Scotland as that is his birth country. If he never ends up playing for us, no ill will towards him as he is loyal to Scotland.

Eventually though, if Scotland keeps ignoring him he may scratch that itch to play internationall fooball with us.But why the hell haven't Scotland at least cap tied him to ensure he doesn't play for us? It's not like they're a soccer power.

Am I wrong to think we could beat Scotland in a game? Wonder if us qualifying for the Copa or Hex would sway his decision. His father seems to be fed up with Scotland and pushing him to Canada which is a big influence. Though that didn't exactly work out for us with Bunbury.

The 26-year-old also qualifies to play for Canada through his father.

But he told BBC Scotland: "It would be the pinnacle of my career if I could pull on a Scotland jersey and be an international football player.

"That is something I'm striving to be and, if the manager ever sees fit to include me, I would be ecstatic."

And the midfielder, who signed a three-year contract extension with Burnley last summer, says some of his family are now urging him towards thinking about playing for Canada.

"I've spoken to my dad, who was born in Toronto, and he would be more than happy for me to jump ship," said Arfield, who helped Burnley win promotion to England's Premier League last season but has experienced relegation this term.

"I'm quite open-minded about it and I've not made my mind up whether it be Scotland or Canada.

"Once you've played club football for so long. you want to take the next step to see what it's all about."

Edited by king1010

You know, I have no problem with Arfield - personally and morally, he's entirely above board. He also has the quality. But either we want only players who are committed to Canada on our team, or we don't.

Right now he isn't committed to Canada. But if he were to be cap tied to us and be 100% committed to the cause I dont see the issue. He says he wants to take the next level and play international football.

If he becomes the next Mark Bircham even better.

If Scotland hasn't called him up when he was plying in the Premier League chances are they wont call him up now that Burnley has been relegated to the championship.

Would love him on Canada but chances are slim.  Seems he's really giving the Scotland call one more push.

Classy and well thought out response by Arfield.  That is exactly what Emery Welshman should have done before cap tying himself to Guyana "Listen, I've been waiting for a Canada call etc." instead of jumping and then AFTER the fact complaining about how Canada didn't call you.  

Canada shall be nobody's second choice! EXILED!

No way. If someone is that serious and wants to play for their country of birth but can't I'd be happy to have them play for us. A right of first refusal is one thing that should be mandatory for your country of birth if FIFA ever gets its head out of its arse. At least they are not a wishy-washy maybe-well-I-don't-know-someday-not-now-waiting-for-something-better-blah-blah-blah type wanker.

Either way, no sense mooning over him, or pencilling him into all the "If Canada had all the players they could have" lineups.  For now, in my head, he's Scottish, and unless he says otherwise, I'm not dream-chasing him.  I'd rather root for the people currently putting the jersey on than mooning over the people that have a 5% chance of putting it on, and discussing them to death.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New contract, new season and small caption mentioning his eligiblity again. Something tells me he will play for us come 2016, especially if Burnley are well back of promotion.

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2015/07/29/scotland-hopeful-scott-arfield-targets-english-premier-league-return-after-signing-burnley-deal/

This is the most optimistic thing you've said in ages!

Would love him on Canada but chances are slim.  Seems he's really giving the Scotland call one more push.

Classy and well thought out response by Arfield.  That is exactly what Emery Welshman should have done before cap tying himself to Guyana "Listen, I've been waiting for a Canada call etc." instead of jumping and then AFTER the fact complaining about how Canada didn't call you.  

Did anybody interview Welshman and ask him about his international ambitions?  Seems a bit much to expect him to announce a press conference on the subject