Scott Arfield

It's now or never for him for international football, so if he get's called into Scotlands' March-camp, he'll play for them. If they don't want him, he's up for Canada. It's very clear and understandable from his point of view. I hope he'll commit, would surely be an upgrade on midfield. 

This is how I see it. Fingers crossed.

EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/arfield-ready-to-answer-canada-call-2813441.aspx

“At the stage I’m at in my career, it would be a great life experience to go and represent Canada. 

“Once you’ve played club football for so long, you want to see where it takes you and I’ve been in contact with Canada so it’s something I might do. 

“I’ve also been speaking to David Edgar and he’s been banging the drum about what a good set up they’ve got there. 

There’s no ill-feeling towards Scotland or anything like that but I’m probably leaning towards Canada.” 

anyone have a link to thebfull interview?

I also will be able to take less pleasure from knocking Germany B (USA) if we build our team the same way.

Ya cause, Tim Howard(now Guzan), Bradley, Zardes, Yedlin and Altidore all got that German connection? German B is a stretch but I see where you are coming from.  The Americans put forth who they felt were the best citizens available why should Canada do anything different.

My wife wasn't even born here and considers herself Canadian compared to her country of birth. I was born in Canada but my mom was not, I have ties to both countries because of that.

That  young Chilean kid was born in Canada to Chilean parents then grew up in Chile, he considers himself more Chilean but I am sure he has some Canadian ties.  Arfield considers himself Scottish, but with his dad being born in Canada I am sure he has ties/connection to Canada as well.

If you can't accept Canada as a multicultural melting pot, I am sorry, we support our countries in different ways. At the end of the day Immigration Canada gave him a Canadian passport.  Take that up with the government, if you don't feel he "isn't Canadian enough for you".

He's played on the right flank this season (also the left... and in the middle). Versatile.

----------------------Larin---------------
Hoilett--Hutchinson--Johnson--Arfield
------------------De Guzman------------
De Jong----Edgar----Jakovic---Ledgerwood
--------------------Borjan----------------

I think this, or whatever variation of it, is the best Canadian line-up I have seen as a V (2010).

On 11/23/2015 at 5:51 PM, apbsmith said:

Ya cause, Tim Howard(now Guzan), Bradley, Zardes, Yedlin and Altidore all got that German connection? German B is a stretch but I see where you are coming from.  The Americans put forth who they felt were the best citizens available why should Canada do anything different.

My wife wasn't even born here and considers herself Canadian compared to her country of birth. I was born in Canada but my mom was not, I have ties to both countries because of that.

That  young Chilean kid was born in Canada to Chilean parents then grew up in Chile, he considers himself more Chilean but I am sure he has some Canadian ties.  Arfield considers himself Scottish, but with his dad being born in Canada I am sure he has ties/connection to Canada as well.

If you can't accept Canada as a multicultural melting pot, I am sorry, we support our countries in different ways. At the end of the day Immigration Canada gave him a Canadian passport.  Take that up with the government, if you don't feel he "isn't Canadian enough for you".

Edited by Guest

Off topic but Canada is more of a mosaic not a melting pot. We allow our citizens to express their culture while the melting pot refers to making the citizens live how a regular citizen of that said country would live. (ex. USA)

True, thank you for the  lesson on correct terminology. :)

I wonder, with Arfield, if Floro would consider our midfield strong enough to play a 4-4-2. Cavallini and Larin up front would be a treat. 

I seriously doubt it, the plan has been crafted from the very beginning to play a certain way throughout qualification, can't see anything changing that.

I seriously doubt it, the plan has been crafted from the very beginning to play a certain way throughout qualification, can't see anything changing that.

Agree.

4-4-2 is wayy too neutral, and with our main objective to defend first it would allow our middle to be more susceptible to attacks through the middle which majority of our opponents like to play through. 

He's played on the right flank this season (also the left... and in the middle). Versatile.

----------------------Larin---------------
Hoilett--Hutchinson--Johnson--Arfield
------------------De Guzman------------
De Jong----Edgar----Jakovic---Ledgerwood
--------------------Borjan----------------

I think this, or whatever variation of it, is the best Canadian line-up I have seen as a V (2010).

Sub Ledgerwood for a healthy Henry, and that would be my best line-up for March. Then if time catches up to JDG next season, probably replace him with Osario, Tiebert, Estaquio or Piette, depending on who's in the best form for the final 2 games of this round.

Sub Ledgerwood for a healthy Henry, and that would be my best line-up for March. Then if time catches up to JDG next season, probably replace him with Osario, Tiebert, Estaquio or Piette, depending on who's in the best form for the final 2 games of this round.

Sam and Russ have cemented their place as 1-2 off the bench in the mid. I don't see how Jono gets into the lineup ahead of them with out an injury. As for Mauro I think he's a ways away. 

Estaquio has no chance of being selected this round, if we are being realistic.

After what I have read on Arfield, I think it is most likely he plays as a CM for us if he commits.

Will he earn a starting spot right away like Hoilett? I am not exactly sure.

Assuming Hutchinson continues to be the pivot (which is exactly where I believe he should play for us), then Johnson and De Guzman are the incumbents for the two advanced CM spots. I can see Arfield challenging Johnson for a spot in the starting 11, but I have trouble imagining De Guzman losing his spot to anyone right now. 

I honestly believe that if Airfield joins the squad and gets into the line-up, it will be at the expense of Johnson.  

After what I have read on Arfield, I think it is most likely he plays as a CM for us if he commits.

Will he earn a starting spot right away like Hoilett? I am not exactly sure.

Assuming Hutchinson continues to be the pivot (which is exactly where I believe he should play for us), then Johnson and De Guzman are the incumbents for the two advanced CM spots. I can see Arfield challenging Johnson for a spot in the starting 11, but I have trouble imagining De Guzman losing his spot to anyone right now. 

I honestly believe that if Airfield joins the squad and gets into the line-up, it will be at the expense of Johnson.  

I really hope we can find a way to have him Hutch and Johnson on the field at the same time. 

We can have all of Hutch, Johnson, and Arfield starting. I think De guzman will sadly be slowing down in the next year. Just for fun what do you guys think the chances are that Arfield joins by March. I say 50%.

We can have all of Hutch, Johnson, and Arfield starting. I think De guzman will sadly be slowing down in the next year. Just for fun what do you guys think the chances are that Arfield joins by March. I say 50%.

Is that based on his play or just his age? 

Remember, DeRosario was a starter right up until the time he retired. The only time never started was when Floro wanted to look at other options in Friendlies. Like DeRo, de Guzman may be an effective player right up until the final moments if his career. He is nowhere near the player he was for Deporting, but he was exceptional back then. Now he is just "very good", and very good gets you a nod in Floro's line up, particularly when you are the all time caps leader who has built up a strong relationship with the manager. Whether we believe it to be true, Floro likely rates de Guzman as more important than Will Johnson (and I really like Will Johnson).

good lord...Estaquio?? Are you serious??

anyways, Arfield brings enough versatility that I don't think it would be a problem to easily integrate him into our line-up. He could play instead of Will or JDG and he could also play instead of Ricketts. His quality is too good to keep him out of the starting 11 so Benito will find a spot for him