Scott Arfield

Did anybody interview Welshman and ask him about his international ambitions? Seems a bit much to expect him to announce a press conference on the subject

Here's the transcript of my recent interview with Emery Welshman:

jpg75: Can you tell us your name?

EW: My name is Em-

jpg75: It doesn't matter what your name is! [lays a smackdown on his candy ass]

• 3 weeks later...

Scottish manager, Gordon Strachan, has announced his 23 man squad for upcoming games against Germany and Georgia.  Scott Arfield has, once again, been left out.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfmpage=2986&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=15189

This must be very disappointing for Arfield since he has previously stated his desire to play for the Tartans. Unfortunately for Arfield, Mr. Strachan again does not have room in the crowded Scottish midfield for Championship side Burnley's midfielder.

Scott, your place is with the Reds, so we, the Voyageurs, invite you with open arms, and a pint or two (or three), to come and help make history with Canada.  Besides, your dad's a Canuck. What's more, as our manager says, "Canadian footballers, we fuck with our cock."

Seriously, Mr. Arfield, give us a call at the CSA, pull on the red jersey with the maple leaf on it, and play for the country and fans that really want you today!  

Nae, lad, we'll nae turn ye away (unlike Gordon Strachan!)!

So, Scott, in the historical words of the Canadians everywhere, Come to Canada, and kick some CONCACAF ass!

if that was the attitude, nobody would play intl football

No.  There is a huge difference in taking those chances playing for your country, and taking those chances to play for the country where your grandma just happened to have pushed your Dad out of her womb.

And even if you fall into that latter category, there is also a big difference in taking those chances while jetting around Europe vs. taking them while trekking from Europe to Central America.

There is zero reason for Arfield to play for us.  He's an established pro on a great contract with the potential to play for a second tier European side.  We do nothing for him other than risk his career for zero reward.

Edited by Marc

No.  There is a huge difference in taking those chances playing for your country, and taking those chances to play for the country where your grandma just happened to have pushed your Dad out of her womb.

And even if you fall into that latter category, there is also a big difference in taking those chances while jetting around Europe vs. taking them while trekking from Europe to Central America.

There is zero reason for Arfield to play for us.  He's an established pro on a great contract with the potential to play for a second tier European side.  We do nothing for him other than risk his career for zero reward.

There are risks to playing internationally but there are many positive reasons to play internationally as well such as prestige, extra income, exposure, more club signing possibilities, possibility of playing in major tournaments, marketing yourself in different markets, travel to interesting countries etc. He has stated he wants to play internationally and would prefer Scotland but is open to the possibility of playing for Canada and if we take him at his word I don't think it is that implausible that he would choose to play for us. He will be 27 in a few months and one has to think even if he were to get a Scotland selection sometime in the future he would likely be a sub/depth player for them. For us he could walk into the starting 11 and probably keep that spot for a number of years. I am not holding my breath for him to commit to us but I don't think it is all that far fetched either.

So when do you guys think Arfield gives up on Scotland and accepts Canada?

hehe

Edited by king1010

Hoilett....I think he would be an instant success in concacaf

Scotty Arfield is a good player, however is he that much better than what we currently have in his position.... Hutchinson? Johnson?

Maybe not Hutch, but Arfield is probably an upgrade on Johnson. When i saw him last year he didn't look out of place in the EPL.

Hoilett....I think he would be an instant success in concacaf

Scotty Arfield is a good player, however is he that much better than what we currently have in his position.... Hutchinson? Johnson?

Hutch is 32. Arfield might not be better than him now, but who knows in a year or two? He probably will be

• 1 month later...

So Burnley released a message about all their players who got international call-ups. They only mentioned youth level stuff but it seemed like the type of message where they would have mentioned "full" call-ups as well. There was no mention of Arfield. My guess is that he did not get the Scotland call once again and did not reach out to Canada.

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/international-clarets-2715521.aspx