Scott Arfield

highly unlikely. Theres no international break in january. The camp is for out of season scandanavian and mls players as well as out of contract players. 

Championship season will not break. 

If we see him, it will be in march wcq. 

Unless we have a friendly in the February window. Those are typically European but perhaps the CSA decides to play down in Bolivia or something as prep for Mexico away in March. That is what I would look into anyways. Bolivia are available from the research I have done.... 

Unless we have a friendly in the February window. Those are typically European but perhaps the CSA decides to play down in Bolivia or something as prep for Mexico away in March. That is what I would look into anyways. Bolivia are available from the research I have done.... 

http://www.fifa.com/calendar/

Is there even a February window in 2016, the official calendar doesn't list one

In our 4-3-3 I think he would line up as a CM with Johnson.  I think Hutchinson has locked down that holding midfield spot as his new position with us.

Arfield isn't a winger in a 4-3-3 From what I've seen.

What is he then? I have only seen highlights and he looks like a wide player. What does Burnley play and where does he play with them? Where do you think he should be in a 4-3-3?

By the way, if he can play centrally, I see him taking Johnson's spot before de Guzman loses his place.

If he plays wide, I really don't know if he would be ahead of Ricketts. I would put him ahead of Ricketts, obviously, but Ricketts appears to be untouchable. Is he better than Hoilett out wide? 

What is he then? I have only seen highlights and he looks like a wide player. What does Burnley play and where does he play with them? Where do you think he should be in a 4-3-3?

By the way, if he can play centrally, I see him taking Johnson's spot before de Guzman loses his place.

If he plays wide, I really don't know if he would be ahead of Ricketts. I would put him ahead of Ricketts, obviously, but Ricketts appears to be untouchable. Is he better than Hoilett out wide? 

hes not replacing hoilett out wide. 

De guz is 34.  He will be 35 during the next international window. And the 4th round doesnt end for another 10 months. Father time could catch up with him very quickly. If not this round. Then the 5th round for sure.  

Edited by king1010

If this happens it'll be a huge addition. The fact he can play out wide and centrally gives us flexibility. I would imagine he would take over for Ricketts first, then for de Guzman in 2017 when Jules ages and our young winger options mature ie. Akindele or Petrasso.

Edited by jpg75

The fact that he is eligible to play for us speaks to how stupid FIFA rules are. If he plays for us I'm sure he'll do well, but I'd have a hard time working up a lot of enthusiasm for cheering on the Scottish Pedro Pacheco.

how is that an issue? His father is Canadian born and therefore Scott is eligible for citizenship by default. Situations like this really aren't a big deal and there isn't much FIFA can do about it anyway

Burnley plays 4-4-2.  Last year from what I saw (full disclosure: maybe 3 games when they were on TV and nothing this year.  He wasn't on our radar then so I didn't track him closely) he played a similar game to Osorio.  He's crafty and an attacking option but not super fast.  More of a high motor guy with some tricky moves and good passing.

Some players have a hard time converting from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3.  A 4-4-2 wide midfielder is not necessarily a 4-3-3 winger, it's different responsibilities and game.  The CM's in a 4-3-3 either end up playing as a holding midfielder or a box to box.  He's not really either of those.  He's also not a burner winger which is kinda what you want in your 4-3-3 wingers.

I think it's the same reason why Osorio doesn't fit in really well with the CMNT.  He's more of a 4-4-2 guy than a 4-3-3 guy.  Don't get me wrong, he will become one of our top 5 players right away; but I don't know if he fits as a RW in our system and I"m not sure he's a box to box CM either.

...I'd have a hard time working up a lot of enthusiasm for cheering on the Scottish Pedro Pacheco.

His CanadaSoccer page said he was born in Canada then moved to Portugal when he was a baby. His wikipedia says he was born in Portugal but lived in Canada as a child.

--------------------------------

Did Scott ever live in Canada? Has he ever been to Canada at all? I don't care much either way to be honest.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

The fact that he is eligible to play for us speaks to how stupid FIFA rules are. If he plays for us I'm sure he'll do well, but I'd have a hard time working up a lot of enthusiasm for cheering on the Scottish Pedro Pacheco.

Do you have a hard time working up a lot of enthusiasm for cheering for Marcel De Jong too? 

You must not be a fan of Marc Bircham either I guess. 

He's a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport.  He's never lived here from what anyone can see; but I'm sure he's visited with his Father's family.

Anyway back to the position aspect in our 4-3-3.  I think they'd have to try him as a CM.  I was looking at his WhoScored profile and it says he's been lining up as CM in a 4-4-2 so he's started 9 games at CM, 7 at LM and 1 at RM this year.  Last year he played RM all the time.  The bottom line is he's played every minute of the season this year and he's clearly versatile.  I'm sure as JDG loses a step he could take over that box to box role for us and be an upgrade for our team.

Do you have a hard time working up a lot of enthusiasm for cheering for Marcel De Jong too? 

You must not be a fan of Marc Bircham either I guess. 

Are you asking whether I identify more with the players on my national team that have actually lived in my country? I sure do. I wasn't a big fan of Bircham for a variety of reasons, and de Jong is not a favorite of mine, though he at  least was born here.

I also will be able to take less pleasure from knocking Germany B (USA) if we build our team the same way.

Of course if he pulls on the red and white I hope he does well, but if he plays for Scotland instead or has no international career, that is probably as it should be.

Edited by jonovision

Are you asking whether I identify more with the players on my national team that have actually lived in my country? I sure do. I wasn't a big fan of Bircham for a variety of reasons, and de Jong is not a favorite of mine, though he at  least was born here.

I also will be able to take less pleasure from knocking Germany B (USA) if we build our team the same way.

Of course if he pulls on the red and white I hope he does well, but if he plays for Scotland instead or has no international career, that is probably as it should be.

no was asking if you identify with players who spent the formative years of their life in another country then committing to play for us 

id take less pleasure beating usa with non home grown players. But its still a lot more pleasure than not beatin them at all. 

This is what international football has come to. Many of the top nations poach players. If they are eligible to play for us and are proud to put on the maple leaf, then i have no problem with it. 

Edited by king1010

I don't see this as being another "threat" to Scotland. This news came out last year. At the time I thought it may have been a signal to Scotland bit at this point I think Scott is pretty clear where he stands with Scotland.

Squizz tweeted this a few hours ago:

@DanielSquizzato: As for Arfield, it’s been suggested to me that he’s not just testing the waters with these remarks. We could see him for #canMNT, soon.

I'm guessing he won't accept a call for the Mexico games

This would be the one to accept unless you wait for June.

1)Leave northern England/Scotland for some place warmer in late March

2) Play in the 3rd largest soccer stadium in the world by capacity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_stadiums_by_capacity Azteca is bigger than Wembley. More interesting to tell your mates than "I stayed in Burnley over the weekend".

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

This would be the one to accept unless you wait for June.

1)Leave Soctland for some place warmer in late March

2) Play in the 3rd largest soccer stadium in the world by capacity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_stadiums_by_capacity Azteca is bigger than Wembley. More interesting to tell your mates than "I stayed in Burnley over the weekend".

Soctland sounds warm, at least for your feet.

Nothing beats Weekend at Burnley's except maybe Weekend at Burnley's 2

Two shitty puns, I'm out.