Scott Arfield

If he doesn't come for the Ghana game this topic is dead in my opinion.

Non-cap tying game to check out the set up against a good opponent.  Pretty much the perfect scenario to join a camp if there is any interest.

And he's just been passed over by Scotland again for arguably worse players and has to be frustrated.  Seriously, if he doesn't come now, he never will.

Edited by Footscray

Non-cap tying game to check out the set up against a good opponent.  Pretty much the perfect scenario to join a camp if there is any interest.

And he's just been passed over by Scotland again for arguably worse players and has to be frustrated.  Seriously, if he doesn't come now, he never will.

if you honestly believe this, please for your own mental health don't ever look at the last 6 years of the Junior Hoilett thread.

lmfao. Completely disagree. 

People said the same thing about akindele. Aird. Hoilett. 

If he doesnt come now theres numerous other oppurtune times for him to come. 

A friendly against ghana isnt going to all of a sudden make him make a decision. 

lmfao. Completely disagree. 

People said the same thing about akindele. Aird. Hoilett. 

If he doesnt come now theres numerous other oppurtune times for him to come. 

A friendly against ghana isnt going to all of a sudden make him make a decision. 

"lmfao"  Different opinions are apparently worth laughing at.

If he has any interest in Canada at all, it will show here - or not. 

He can come to a camp, play a game, and still keep eligibility for Scotland (which he's admitted is his first choice).  There's no commitment at all and he can check out the set up.  If he's interested in Canada, there's no reason no to.

If he doesn't come, he has zero interest.  Still a slim chance he could be a late show for the hex, but I don't see it.  If he's interested in Canada at all, why not come now?

Next cycle, he'll be in his early 30s, I just don't see a player joining our program for the first time at that age to play 5-10 times over a younger player unless they are an all world talent.

Hoilett and Aird are actually from Canada, and were both much younger players with multiple cycles ahead.  It was a question for both of which country they'd pick, not if they will at all.  Arfield could easily stay home, take the breaks and not bother, he has almost no personal connection to Canada from what I can tell.

Kinda hard to tell with that one.... 

Yup and I was not correct! One of their players got a Wales call, the other an England call. This was published today on Burnley's site. Still slim hope for Arfield!

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/heaton-earns-another-england-call-2721209.aspx

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/vokes-hopes-to-make-history-with-wales-2721127.aspx

"lmfao"  Different opinions are apparently worth laughing at.

If he has any interest in Canada at all, it will show here - or not. 

He can come to a camp, play a game, and still keep eligibility for Scotland (which he's admitted is his first choice).  There's no commitment at all and he can check out the set up.  If he's interested in Canada, there's no reason no to.

If he doesn't come, he has zero interest.  Still a slim chance he could be a late show for the hex, but I don't see it.  If he's interested in Canada at all, why not come now?

Next cycle, he'll be in his early 30s, I just don't see a player joining our program for the first time at that age to play 5-10 times over a younger player unless they are an all world talent.

Hoilett and Aird are actually from Canada, and were both much younger players with multiple cycles ahead.  It was a question for both of which country they'd pick, not if they will at all.  Arfield could easily stay home, take the breaks and not bother, he has almost no personal connection to Canada from what I can tell.

I'm not sure he would keep his eligibility. I remember when Bunbury deserted us he was lost the minute he played for the US - even in an friendly - because he played official matches for Canadian youth teams. Rumour was you can't switch back. Arfield has played for Scottish youth, so if what people said about Bunbury is true the same would hold for Arfield. Any truth to this rule or just total BS?

Edited by BCM
Mistaken quote...

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to someone close to the situation a while ago about interviewing him about it. I got the sense he's less waiting to see if Scotland call him up and more him not feeling super great about representing a nation that isn't Scotland.

• 4 weeks later...

EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/news/article/arfield-ready-to-answer-canada-call-2813441.aspx

“At the stage I’m at in my career, it would be a great life experience to go and represent Canada. 

“Once you’ve played club football for so long, you want to see where it takes you and I’ve been in contact with Canada so it’s something I might do. 

“I’ve also been speaking to David Edgar and he’s been banging the drum about what a good set up they’ve got there. 

There’s no ill-feeling towards Scotland or anything like that but I’m probably leaning towards Canada.” 

Edited by king1010

This guy was a regular in the Premier League last year and has made the MOST appearances out of any player on a Burnley championship team that is in a promotion spot to the Premier League. 

HUGE if he actually commits. 

With JDG getting on in years he would be a huge coop to our midfield

Edited by king1010

This guy was a regular in the Premier League last year and has made the MOST appearances out of any player on a Burnley championship team that is in a promotion spot to the Premier League. 

HUGE if he actually commits. 

With JDG getting on in years he would be a huge coop to our midfield

Isn't he more of a wide player?

I have only watched highlights of his, never observed him in a match. What I have seen is him mostly on the flanks, if I recall correctly.

Edited by Obinna

Wow this would be amazing news. Looks extremely legit too. Hopefully we have a January camp and he's there. 

highly unlikely. Theres no international break in january. The camp is for out of season scandanavian and mls players as well as out of contract players. 

Championship season will not break. 

If we see him, it will be in march wcq. 

highly unlikely. Theres no international break in january. The camp is for out of season scandanavian and mls players as well as out of contract players. 

Championship season will not break. 

If we see him, it will be in march wcq. 

I was actually thinking about as a typed that. It'd be tough to throw him in in March with no experience with the team. Not sure how floro would handle a situation like that.

Edited by IceCreamMan

I can just see him hunched over his computer googling Canadas chances of getting to the HEX, reading our FLORO bandwagon thread, then watching YOUTUBE video of the crazy fans at Vancouver.  I sure hope this isn't just more heartbreak for us V's.  If this is true Edgar should get some sort of special MVP or assistant coaching wage for bragging up the CDN program.  

better than hutch? I dont know

1A and 1B for sure. 

good discusion to be able to entertain anyhow.

I think he realises he gets 2 qualifying cycles (2018, 2022). Scotland is out of Euros and has just a WCQ cycle in Scotland. Probably can play into his early-mid 30's here. 

Would instantly make a difference.