Scott Arfield

10 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

And Tabla and Davies!

A lot will depend on what sort of season they have, but I think both have the talent to make a splash in MLS and that could be the path to a Gold Cup spot for both as well. 

Watched Tabla against DCU in pre-season action. He's obviously very raw, but he has attacking tendencies that we lack in the national team. I would love for him to win a spot for the Gold Cup. He'd be a great back up for Junior. 

Davies I think can absolutely have a big impact this season in Vancouver. I also saw him in some pre-season action and i'm really excited about this kid, especially playing as an inverted winger. Again, I would love for him to make the squad as well.

I know we are getting off topic here, but I also want to see Kevin Aleman. Just scored his first goal for Saprissa (and it was a great goal). If he continues to progress down there, I think we need to bring him.

My ideal front 6 (assuming all players are in form):

----------------Larin--------------

Junior-------Aleman------Davies

--------Osorio-------Arfield---------

*This is assuming Hutchinson is done. 

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

A lot will depend on what sort of season they have, but I think both have the talent to make a splash in MLS and that could be the path to a Gold Cup spot for both as well. 

Watched Tabla against DCU in pre-season action. He's obviously very raw, but he has attacking tendencies that we lack in the national team. I would love for him to win a spot for the Gold Cup. He'd be a great back up for Junior. 

Davies I think can absolutely have a big impact this season in Vancouver. I also saw him in some pre-season action and i'm really excited about this kid, especially playing as an inverted winger. Again, I would love for him to make the squad as well.

I know we are getting off topic here, but I also want to see Kevin Aleman. Just scored his first goal for Saprissa (and it was a great goal). If he continues to progress down there, I think we need to bring him.

My ideal front 6 (assuming all players are in form):

----------------Larin--------------

Junior-------Aleman------Davies

--------Osorio-------Arfield---------

*This is assuming Hutchinson is done. 

I think he was being sarcastic. Hoilett and Arfield may not want to attend the B Gold Cup. Tabla might not even want to play for Canada while Davies can't until he gets his papers in

27 minutes ago, canta15 said:

I think he was being sarcastic. Hoilett and Arfield may not want to attend the B Gold Cup. Tabla might not even want to play for Canada while Davies can't until he gets his papers in

Yeah my gut said he was but I ignored it.

Because, I did hear an interview where Arfield talks about playing in his first gold cup. A lot can change between now and then, but he sounded like he was looking forward to it.

And if Arfield will be there, why not Junior?

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Man, no respect around here.  :)

This particular Gold Cup is the one in the four year cycle that is the best for cap-tieing players.  That's where I was going with that.

I guess the reasoning for this is that the teams that are in the hex may be fielding weaker teams right? I would argue this is where we throw all are weight behind the tournament and try to win it (or you know... score a goal). Our best chance to do well in this tournament is when other countries aren't trying quite as hard.

Would that be a bit of an asterisk beside the results we get? Perhaps. But cripes, at this point I would take results with a thousand asterisks beside it.

2 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

This is not exactly the gospel, but didn't someone on here with a bit more knowledge say there were problems with his parents' immigration status that has slowed things down? 

If you are under the age of 18 in Canada your obtaining a citizenship is based on your parents success during their citizenship test. His parents were not successful (more than once), I believe most likely due to language barriers and now have to go through a very tedious process of why there is such a language barrier for someone that has lived and worked here for years. That being said there are special circumstances in which a minor can have his/her file removed from their parents and they can obtain citizenship alone. This is the case of Davies, however, this also has to go through the proper legal and federal government channels. I do know that it is close to being done and he was gutted that it couldn't be complete before the U20's.

46 minutes ago, Kent said:

I guess the reasoning for this is that the teams that are in the hex may be fielding weaker teams right? I would argue this is where we throw all are weight behind the tournament and try to win it (or you know... score a goal). Our best chance to do well in this tournament is when other countries aren't trying quite as hard.

Would that be a bit of an asterisk beside the results we get? Perhaps. But cripes, at this point I would take results with a thousand asterisks beside it.

But what do we get for winning it, other than feeling good about ourselves until we lose our next friendly?  In the regular four year cycle, this one is good for cap-tying while the other one is good for giving our world cup qualification team time together.

13 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

But what do we get for winning it, other than feeling good about ourselves until we lose our next friendly?  In the regular four year cycle, this one is good for cap-tying while the other one is good for giving our world cup qualification team time together.

I would get more enjoyment out of the Gold Cup (and being a Canadian soccer fan) if we treated it like an important tournament (like the continental championship it is) rather than treating it as a friendly tournament that is just prep for WQC.

That desire for it to feel more important is a large part of why I am in the group of people that want proper qualifying (no automatic qualification for anybody, and no sub region based qualifying) for the Gold Cup and for it to only be held every 4 years.

21 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

We get a shot at the miniworld cup. 

51 minutes ago, coach_86 said:

If you are under the age of 18 in Canada your obtaining a citizenship is based on your parents success during their citizenship test. His parents were not successful (more than once), I believe most likely due to language barriers and now have to go through a very tedious process of why there is such a language barrier for someone that has lived and worked here for years. That being said there are special circumstances in which a minor can have his/her file removed from their parents and they can obtain citizenship alone. This is the case of Davies, however, this also has to go through the proper legal and federal government channels. I do know that it is close to being done and he was gutted that it couldn't be complete before the U20's.

Thank you for the update on this. I wonder if this explains the recent comments by Gale (I think) that they want Davies to take a leadership role on the U-17 team. Perhaps it means he will be eligible for that tournament?

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

Biggest thing. More competitive game time. Which is critical for us.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I would get more enjoyment out of the Gold Cup (and being a Canadian soccer fan) if we treated it like an important tournament (like the continental championship it is) rather than treating it as a friendly tournament that is just prep for WQC.

That desire for it to feel more important is a large part of why I am in the group of people that want proper qualifying (no automatic qualification for anybody, and no sub region based qualifying) for the Gold Cup and for it to only be held every 4 years.

Meh.  I get more enjoyment out of not embarrassing ourselves during WCQ.  We need to be more strategic in what we do if we want to be successful.  We have a tool here where we can cap-tie people in an essentially meaningless game.  I do not think WCQ is particularly a good time for cynical cap ties.  If we stopped going apoplectic every time we didn't win and presented a more longer view plan, we'd be more successful in the long run.  What you want is the MLS, win at all costs, right now, model.  I disagree fundamentally with that.

The only problem is, I don't have faith in those in charge to implement a successful plan.

1 hour ago, Levi Oakey said:

Biggest thing. More competitive game time. Which is critical for us.

For sure.  I agree 100% so long as that game time is used properly.  This competitive game time could be invaluable when the games really matter for those that haven't been in this situation.  In an ideal world, the next time Larin is one on one with the El Salvadoran keeper, he'll put it in the goddamn net.

3 hours ago, matty said:

We get a shot at the miniworld cup. 

Which we have been to.  What did that get us?  I think we cap-tied Bircham there just before we flamed out of WCQ.

I'm not saying that we should put out a bunch of scrubs for Gold Cup.  What I am saying is that it's a good opportunity to not necessarily play our best team at the time in order to achieve some longer term goals.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Meh.  I get more enjoyment out of not embarrassing ourselves during WCQ.  We need to be more strategic in what we do if we want to be successful.  We have a tool here where we can cap-tie people in an essentially meaningless game.  I do not think WCQ is particularly a good time for cynical cap ties.  If we stopped going apoplectic every time we didn't win and presented a more longer view plan, we'd be more successful in the long run.  What you want is the MLS, win at all costs, right now, model.  I disagree fundamentally with that.

The only problem is, I don't have faith in those in charge to implement a successful plan.

For sure.  I agree 100% so long as that game time is used properly.  This competitive game time could be invaluable when the games really matter for those that haven't been in this situation.  In an ideal world, the next time Larin is one on one with the El Salvadoran keeper, he'll put it in the goddamn net.

Which we have been to.  What did that get us?  I think we cap-tied Bircham there just before we flamed out of WCQ.

I'm not saying that we should put out a bunch of scrubs for Gold Cup.  What I am saying is that it's a good opportunity to not necessarily play our best team at the time in order to achieve some longer term goals.

I'd be in favour of calling an A minus squad for the Gold Cup. Bring the best starting 11 and use spots 14 - 18 to cap tie promising kids like Davies and Tabla.

In 2013 we tied Aleman, who was a hot prospect at the time. Too bad the rest of the squad was far from first choice. I think Osorio and Teibert were our best midfielders in the team that tournament. :/

34 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'd be in favour of calling an A minus squad for the Gold Cup. Bring the best starting 11 and use spots 14 - 18 to cap tie promising kids like Davies and Tabla.

In 2013 we tied Aleman, who was a hot prospect at the time. Too bad the rest of the squad was far from first choice. I think Osorio and Teibert were our best midfielders in the team that tournament. :/

This would be fine if we were in a healthy position in the rankings but we're not at all and this is the last chance we have to give our ranking a mega bump before the next wcq cycle

42 minutes ago, matty said:

This would be fine if we were in a healthy position in the rankings but we're not at all and this is the last chance we have to give our ranking a mega bump before the next wcq cycle

Yeah we do need that bump, but at the same time, how much are we losing by calling a guy like Tabla (for example), over a guy like Petrasso (who's already tied)?

Obiina: A minus squad sounds pretty good to me, you rarely got the A plus team even for WCQ games.  Arfield being there though is crucial.  He needs to be in there integrating more, and teaching some of his younger midfield teamates a thing or two. Arfield, Hoilett, Larin, Akindele etc are going to carry to load next WCQ they need time together in serious competitions.