Canadians in MLS (2015 Season)

baulderdash77

Larin got a bit of a break as Pedro Ribeiro had to leave the game due to an hamstring injury after 22 minutes. Larin has come in and he has been active so far (in the first half). This might give him a couple of starts in the next weeks.

Also of note, Kofi Opare had his first ever start for DC. I have no idea if he's even eligible but he still listed as a Canadian. 

According to Wikipedia he isn't. says that he never filled the residency requirements.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember 18 months ago when the Whitecaps were an absolute shit show with the manager debacle and Camilo training at Queretaro and Mattocks bragging on Jamaican TV about how he's the best in MLS? They seem to have done a 180 from that point

We have improved each year since the first year and that is the goal for any club. If you keep making a lot of small improvements and the occasional big one you will be a force in short order. 

It is interesting how each coach has had own philosophy and player pool. Tietur was the Swiss/French, Rennie was Scot/Euro and Robbo is Central/South American. I do think for a salary capped league like MLS the cost to performance ratio is heavily in favour of Robbo's approach. 

We have improved each year since the first year and that is the goal for any club. If you keep making a lot of small improvements and the occasional big one you will be a force in short order. 

It is interesting how each coach has had own philosophy and player pool. Tietur was the Swiss/French, Rennie was Scot/Euro and Robbo is Central/South American. I do think for a salary capped league like MLS the cost to performance ratio is heavily in favour of Robbo's approach. 

You're right, the 'caps have never been a TFC or Montreal-style shitshow, they've improved every year. The amazing thing is how much depth they have across the organization. They have a top-three draft pick like Dean not even within sniffing distance of the starting lineup; same with Clarke and Bustos, two of the best players ever to come out of the USSDA system.

The Whitecaps are also such a young team in terms of their starting XI. Regardless of where they finish this year if they keep the core together they will only improve. Vancouver is miles ahead of Toronto and Montreal in how they've built their roster.

Miles ahead?  They've been cost efficient but it's not like Toronto has brought in washed up players and that quality showed through when the two teams met.  I respect Vancouver's team as it's an efficient unit but at best it's equal to Toronto.. Giovinco, Bradley, Altidore, Perquis, Osorio, Findlay, Morrow etc. that is a lot of quality under 30 vs. Laba, Rivero, Morales, Koffie, Manneh, Teibert, Mattocks.  Quality but a notch below what Toronto offers IMO.

You're right, the 'caps have never been a TFC or Montreal-style shitshow, they've improved every year. The amazing thing is how much depth they have across the organization. They have a top-three draft pick like Dean not even within sniffing distance of the starting lineup; same with Clarke and Bustos, two of the best players ever to come out of the USSDA system.

I don't know man. That first year sure fell into the shitshow category for me. We'll see how far over 50 points we get this year. As long as we keep improving our points per game every year we'll be okay.

I think the depth comes from the three basics. Starting an academy 4 years before they joined MLS in 2007, drafting relatively well and good scouting in central & south america. The last gives you a base by which the other 2 can measure themselves. Our drafts haven't always worked out but Manneh, Hurtado, Mattocks, Dean and others are still around. The academy will become even more important as we will get farther and farther down the picking order for the draft as we place higher. 

Vancouver's avg age (25) was younger than Toronto's (26) this weekend and TFC were also missing their two veteran CB starters. Toronto has managed to put a collection of quality names together, but will they gel and will they be playing together this time next year? Time will tell. Unfortunately, if history is any indicator, they won't. 

De Jong started, but Sinovic replaced him at half time of KCs 3-2 come from behind win over Philly. Not sure if it was injury related or tactical.

Edit: just watched the condensed match and the sideline reporter said that De Jong was substituted because KC was afraid of the yellow that he picked up in the first half. The tackle on which he picked up the yellow might not have even been a foul. Philly scored on the ensuing free kick.

Many of the SKC fans on big soccer are really not happy with de jong's play. Really hard to determine whether or not they see Sinovic with rosy colored glasses or not. Some of their comments hold merit but you just get a sense they are reluctant to give a new player the benefit of the doubt. Making a lot of de jong's flaws while having little complaints of Sinovic's.

It is an interesting but frusturating read after every game. I think it stems from the fact that de jong is viewed as a signing that wasn't necesaary. SKC fans feel Sinovic is too good to be on the bench and most would rather have de jong as depth or have both on the field - just as long as Sinovic is not on the bench. I have even read absured ideas about playing Sinovic as a DCM just so he isn't wasted on the bench.

The more intelligent posters see what de jong has to offer and call for him to play as a left sided midfielder.

What do you guys think of this selection delimma for SKC?

Not overhauling the complete selection every single year kinda helps...

Also, not just in Van, but all over the league it's obvious Latin America offers more bang for a buck. 

Dan Gargan is a decent player, but same situation.  When you said that, I immediately thought of Gargan, and the unusual amount of fans he gets everywhere he goes.

"But look how far he can THROW the ball!!! It's like having a corner kick!!!"

Looks like Bekker isn't doing that well for FC Dallas.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/586702757190590464

https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/586702840070025216

He seems like a guy who needed a USL team or something to refine his game, when he was a bit younger.

I watched the game.  He looked lost out there and frankly in many of those plays he rushes it, not sure if he's afraid of getting physical or what.  He's a pretender on defence, pretends he's making an effort to tackle ball carrier.  I came away from the PR match with a good impression of how his game was shaping, last night wasn't his night but really the whole Dallas team wasn't very good.. as evidenced by a 4-0 loss at home to a team that hadn't scored a goal all season.

One thing I will say though is when Dallas won free kicks they were immediately looking to Bekker, there wasn't even a conversation as to who would take it and he delivered a few dangerous balls. 

Archived