Canadians in MLS (2015 Season)

baulderdash77

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam plays 75 and then gets into a nasty collision with Ricketts. Nothing dirty just a large keeper and a smaller LB in a slide knee to chest. Broken ribs are a possibility. Up to that point he played good but took a yellow. 

Kianz comes in at the 68 minute mark for Manneh and plays very good. 

No Teibert tonight as Gersh goes the whole 90+.

Sam plays 75 and then gets into a nasty collision with Ricketts. Nothing dirty just a large keeper and a smaller LB in a slide knee to chest. Broken ribs are a possibility. Up to that point he played good but took a yellow. 

Kianz comes in at the 68 minute mark for Manneh and plays very good. 

No Teibert tonight as Gersh goes the whole 90+.

Larin came in for Orlando for last 15 and looked good, comfortable, not over his head. Mind you, any ex-NCAA is an old rookie. Ousted robbed him on a breakaway in the closing minutes.

Larin came in for Orlando for last 15 and looked good, comfortable, not over his head. Mind you, any ex-NCAA is an old rookie. Ousted robbed him on a breakaway in the closing minutes.

Scared me with his strike that went just wide. A lot of power for such an awkward position to strike from. Just wide. I think Orlando will use him more and sooner rather than later.

Bernier hasn't seen a single minute of time this year.  Reo-Coker has taken his role and done very well with it.  Unless there's an injury or Reo-Coker plays poorly I don't think Bernier has a role.

Bernier played 15 minutes on Wednesday against Alajuelense. Immediately took over the captain's armband. 

Bernier still distributes the ball out of the holding role better than anyone else on the roster. The problem, presumably, is that declining athleticism limits his ability to do the defensive work necessary.

90 minutes for De Jong in their nil draw with Portland.

De Jong showed his quality last night. A booming shot from outside the box. Very impressive corner kicks from the right side and accurate crosses from his left position. The commentators kept mentioning these. He also makes great passes out of the back. A huge difference from his first game where he was invisible.

...at the very least the CSA should be starting to increase the Canadian quota. They would need to do this slowly so it doesn't put our teams at a competitive disadvantage but increasing it to 4 next year and 5 a couple of years after should be something the teams could handle...

Considering the number of Canadians currently signed to the rosters (IMFC: 6, TFC: 7, VWFC: 7) I don't see how this hasn't already happened.

Considering the number of Canadians currently signed to the rosters (IMFC: 6, TFC: 7, VWFC: 7) I don't see how this hasn't already happened.

Yeah the quota should easily be raised to 5 immediately and increased by one per year until we're at 10.

Ouimette was about to get subbed on for NY but the game ended before he could. Starting to look like it was a mistake of him to sign. He's 4th on the depth chart.

It was a mistake to sign?  Better to be signed on with Unattached FC?  Fighting for a space on a competitive team is much better for someone's development than combing the depths of the soccer world looking for a team at a level where you can be a big fish in a (very) small pond.

Ouimette was about to get subbed on for NY but the game ended before he could. Starting to look like it was a mistake of him to sign. He's 4th on the depth chart.

How could he be 4th on the depth chart if he was about to be subbed on - wouldn't that make him 2nd for that particular position?

Considering the numbers on our 3 teams I think the CSA's first priority is getting fair treatment for our players south of the 49th. Increase their trade value and give them more options. In the long run I think that will open up way more options for Canadian players than increasing the quota on Canadian teams. If we went to 5 that is 15 spots. If we get the first 2 Canucks counted as domestics that opens up 34 potential spots plus increases their value by making trades easier.

Considering the numbers on our 3 teams I think the CSA's first priority is getting fair treatment for our players south of the 49th. Increase their trade value and give them more options. In the long run I think that will open up way more options for Canadian players than increasing the quota on Canadian teams. If we went to 5 that is 15 spots. If we get the first 2 Canucks counted as domestics that opens up 34 potential spots plus increases their value by making trades easier.

I agree being treated better by US teams is important but it's a way bigger fight, while forcing Canadian teams to play more Canadians is something they could do tomorrow. CSA can threaten decertification to the Canadian teams but getting american teams to give a different designation to canadian players on their teams requires agreements from MLS and USSF.

I just don't see the point in the CSA threatening the 3 teams who are actually developing players and providing opportunities to them. They have already exceeded the minimum by a large amount. A bigger fight yes but bigger payoffs in the end for our players.

Besides what would the CSA really do to any of the 3 MLS teams? Decertify them? What if the team said "we'll sell and bye bye"? The CSA is not in a position of strength vs the 3 MLS teams. 

Archived