Canadians in MLS (2015 Season)

baulderdash77

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Patrice semi-retiring until the new coach took over it isn't surprising to see Montreal's number drop off. Interesting the different approach to the CCL games that the Caps and Impact had. Obviously that was due to Montreal's much deeper run (and almost winning it, damn, so close).

Also of interest (to me at least) was the drop in Canadian content for the NASL teams and increase for the MLS teams for the V's Cup games. Not huge either way but noticeable.

Will and Tesho make sub appearances for Portland and Dallas tonight in the 3-1 win for Portland.

Yeah although Johnson came on in 2nd minute of additional time. Tesho came on in the 85th.

That's a combined 12 minutes for the three remaining Canadians on three different teams. Not good enough imho.

Yeah although Johnson came on in 2nd minute of additional time. Tesho came on in the 85th.

That's a combined 12 minutes for the three remaining Canadians on three different teams. Not good enough imho.

It's a tough situation, Johnson is slowly getting pushed out of Portland as they've adapted to his absence and Akindele is an out of position super sub due to the formation not favouring him.

With the rules working against our guys we are fortunate to have them get playing time on US clubs.  Considering we can barely get the CDN clubs to play CDN players I dont think that is too bad.  Both Johnson and Tesho are in the mix with their clubs.  But I see your point, this has to improve.  

With the rules working against our guys we are fortunate to have them get playing time on US clubs.  Considering we can barely get the CDN clubs to play CDN players I dont think that is too bad.  Both Johnson and Tesho are in the mix with their clubs.  But I see your point, this has to improve.  

The rules don't work against these 2 though. I believe they are both American citizens. If not, then green card holders for sure. If Akindele wouldn't have couldn't as a domestic for Dallas, you wonder if he ever would have been drafted that high or given that chance?

I thought that both are counted as domestics on any USA team due to their living there over 2 years etc.

I'd love to have both. To be honest they are the right age (under 30) and would fit in just fine. The biggest problem would be their respective teams would rather not face them and probably trade them to eastern teams or ask way too much from other western clubs. Both are still highly rated by their coaches.

You are 100% right.  What a crazy set of convoluted rules MLS has.  Too bad all our guys dont have dual Us citizenship and green cards etc to even out the playing field,  Imagine how many young guys would be kicking around as MLS journeymen if they had a US green card.  Paul Hamilton, S. Saiko are 2 recent guys that come to mind.  

Johnson is a great MLS player, his leg injury was obviously a big set back but he's working his way towards being a regular starter again (although maybe that won't be with Portland?). Akindele was rookie of the year last year. Both of these guys will do fine in MLS regardless of their citizenship.

Perez no longer with Dallas. If Castillo leaves too as many believe he will, that could mean a big bump in playing time for Akindele next year.

Has Akindele played a lot as a striker? I've seen him play wide midfield/forward, so I don't think that Perez leaving helps Akindele in playing, but if Castillo leaves, it could do the trick, but one would believe that if it happens, that Dallas would find another player to replace him.

Has Akindele played a lot as a striker? I've seen him play wide midfield/forward, so I don't think that Perez leaving helps Akindele in playing, but if Castillo leaves, it could do the trick, but one would believe that if it happens, that Dallas would find another player to replace him.

I think it does make it easy if Perez leaves. Last year Perez and Akindele started a lot of games together in a 4-4-2. This season they switched to a 4-3-3, with Perez initially the CF starter, before Teixeira replaced him due to his injury.

Meanwhile, Akindele started this season in a battle for playing time with Hollingshead for the wide forward spot opposite to Castillo. Akindele and Hollingshead split time roughly 60/40 (in favor of Hollingshead). Akindele got a few rare starts at CF and some cameos in a subs role while Perez was out injured - backing up Teixeira.

Then Barrios emerged as the wide forward favorite later in the season, with Hollingshead shifting to left back and Tesho again the number 2 behind Barrios. He did get plenty of minutes as a number 2 but it is clear who the favourite is.

Overall, Tesho never really held down a starring spot all year, and was never a number 1 all year, but got quite a few starts due to his flexibility.

Therefore, I think it helps him if either Castillo or Perez leave. Tesho can play both roles, but what would really help is a switch back to 4-4-2, in which Teixeira and Akindele be starters.

5 hours ago, Ruffian said:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2016

In this list it shows Seth Sinovic is out of contract with SKC and does not show De Jong out of contract. These moves leave De Jong as the incumbent for the left back position there. Maybe he isn't leaving as many have speculated. 

De Jong signed a two year contract. And de Jong isn't the incumbent at left back, it's Amadou Dia. 

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 2:55 PM, jonovision said:

Over the course of the season, in all competitions, 11.9% of Toronto's minutes went to Canadian players, followed by Vancouver at 8.6% and Montreal at 7.9% (Edmonton 28%, Ottawa 25%):

http://oot-football.blogspot.ca/2015/11/canadian-content-in-2015-final-numbers.html

These #s should go up next year, except for Aparicio and Clarke all Canadians on MLS rosters are either under contract or have had their options picked up.

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 7:39 PM, jpg75 said:

Will Johnson is a US citizen i would assume as he was part of the US U17 program at Bradenton.

I don't think he was. He was at Blackburn in his youth and then played with Chicago's PDL team. Don't ever remember him being part of Bradenton.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't think he was. He was at Blackburn in his youth and then played with Chicago's PDL team. Don't ever remember him being part of Bradenton.

He was at Blackburn for less than a season before moving back to sign with Chicago. I had read somewhere about his involvement with the US U17's but can't find anything anymore. He is a US citizen though.

• 2 months later...

Archived