Canadians in MLS (2015 Season)

baulderdash77

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't see the point in the CSA threatening the 3 teams who are actually developing players and providing opportunities to them. They have already exceeded the minimum by a large amount. A bigger fight yes but bigger payoffs in the end for our players.

Besides what would the CSA really do to any of the 3 MLS teams? Decertify them? What if the team said "we'll sell and bye bye"? The CSA is not in a position of strength vs the 3 MLS teams. 

Again, I agree you have to try and get the US teams on the same page but there's so many politics to it beyond simply asking for them to be nice and open up the domestics rule. We have a world cup coming up where Canada is partnering with Traffic on a bid against the US and SUM. Why would they agree to anything while we take a stand like that? Also, how does it help the US? 

We have to stop relying on the US to hopefully help us out, they have no vested interest in doing that. If Honduras had an MLS team why would we want them considered domestics on our teams? To be nice? That doesn't play. Right now, frankly the Canadian teams could be doing alot more to get Canadians on the field. When Toronto first came in the league the quota was way higher, and they sucked. Then they dropped the quota and they still sucked, only instead of 7 more years of more Canadian kids seeing playing time we gave those opportunities away to the Soolsmas and Martinas of the world. Also, it's the optics of it, how do you expect the USSF to bend when the CSA isn't even enforcing stronger rules on the Canadian teams. You have to lead by example.

Between the MLSE, Joey Saputo and the rich guy in Vancouver, none of them are going to walk away and say "we'll sell". I'd call that bluff 10 times out of 10. They know that.

Re: Ouimette, I agree with SoccerPro.

First, he was in the 18, I did not expect that at all.

Second, he was about to be subbed on and get some playing time, I did not expect that at all.

Third, where was Ouimette supposed to sign given that he was released 1 month before the start of the season?

Fourth, he wasn't much higher in the depth chart on the Impact for most of his time there, and when he was they were horrendous defensively.

Ouimette was about to get subbed on for NY but the game ended before he could. Starting to look like it was a mistake of him to sign. He's 4th on the depth chart.

Wait, I thought you hated that some of our players were signing for clubs that were below them? Now one of them signs for a bigger club and that's not good either?

Your entire argument hinges on this assumption.  I think that could be debated.

"providing opportunities to them" as in the 3 MLS clubs offering it to Canadian players. Let's see ...

1) First rate training in a pro environment from age 12 onwards

2) U16, U18 in leagues with serious competition (no more big fish in a small pond mentality)

3) Training time during off season for those who go to university

4) Pro contracts for the best at age 18 who don't go the university route

5) USL/2 team (a missing piece of the puzzle finally put in place this year) 

6) For those that can make it at the highest level MLS minutes and career

Yea that strikes me as "providing opportunities to them" in a big way. Having 3 teams in MLS running academies is the best thing that has happened to Canadian soccer in decades IMHO.

"providing opportunities to them" as in the 3 MLS clubs offering it to Canadian players. Let's see ...

1) First rate training in a pro environment from age 12 onwards

2) U16, U18 in leagues with serious competition (no more big fish in a small pond mentality)

3) Training time during off season for those who go to university

4) Pro contracts for the best at age 18 who don't go the university route

5) USL/2 team (a missing piece of the puzzle finally put in place this year) 

6) For those that can make it at the highest level MLS minutes and career

Yea that strikes me as "providing opportunities to them" in a big way. Having 3 teams in MLS running academies is the best thing that has happened to Canadian soccer in decades IMHO.

Notice that I didn't contest the "developing players" portion of your assertion.  That is what points 1 thru 5 deal with.  As for number 6, it's all too easy for MLS teams to parachute in some 27 year-old journeyman than to really give the young players an opportunity to play meaningful games.

Although don't worry about it.  I know there's very little I can say to change your mind.  We've had this discussion all too often.

(notice though that I am not singling out a single team, that's progress)

Again, I agree you have to try and get the US teams on the same page but there's so many politics to it beyond simply asking for them to be nice and open up the domestics rule. We have a world cup coming up where Canada is partnering with Traffic on a bid against the US and SUM. Why would they agree to anything while we take a stand like that? Also, how does it help the US? 

We have to stop relying on the US to hopefully help us out, they have no vested interest in doing that. If Honduras had an MLS team why would we want them considered domestics on our teams? To be nice? That doesn't play. Right now, frankly the Canadian teams could be doing alot more to get Canadians on the field. When Toronto first came in the league the quota was way higher, and they sucked. Then they dropped the quota and they still sucked, only instead of 7 more years of more Canadian kids seeing playing time we gave those opportunities away to the Soolsmas and Martinas of the world. Also, it's the optics of it, how do you expect the USSF to bend when the CSA isn't even enforcing stronger rules on the Canadian teams. You have to lead by example.

Between the MLSE, Joey Saputo and the rich guy in Vancouver, none of them are going to walk away and say "we'll sell". I'd call that bluff 10 times out of 10. They know that.

I agree on the self reliance part but to get the highest level of competition for our players we need to participate in MLS. They need that level or above to push them but Europe isn't an option for a lot of players.

TFC have gone through cycles without much to show for it in MLS. Hopefully this year. To be honest I see more value to a single Canadian like Osorio getting time with the players he has around him than to have a lot of average ones who will never make a difference to our MNT. He will. 

The sell/move part is always a real issue with North American sports teams. Not that they would but my point was that the CSA is not in a strong position compared to the clubs. They are already exceeding the requirement by double so that makes the CSA's position even weaker.

MLS should do it because we are major positive contributors to their bottom line. Nice has nothing to do with it. Attendance at all 3 is top 7 in the league. 

All 3 are doing a lot to get Canadians on the field but that last step is the hardest and most promising players struggle at it. That one is up to the players. That is make or break time and it comes down to their skills. If they will help the coach keep his job by making a positive difference every time they are on the field no coach will keep them off it. 

Notice that I didn't contest the "developing players" portion of your assertion.  That is what points 1 thru 5 deal with.  As for number 6, it's all too easy for MLS teams to parachute in some 27 year-old journeyman than to really give the young players an opportunity to play meaningful games.

Although don't worry about it.  I know there's very little I can say to change your mind.  We've had this discussion all too often.

(notice though that I am not singling out a single team, that's progress)

Number 6 will always be the hardest part. It is called a soccer pyramid because each level is exponentially harder to get up to and the peak has very little room at all. What was the old Fred "the phantom" Shero line? There's room at the top but not enough to sit down. 

Some coaches do grab anyone to fill a need. Some really try to bring players up through the ranks. 

Yes I noticed and appreciate it   :)

I agree on the self reliance part but to get the highest level of competition for our players we need to participate in MLS. They need that level or above to push them but Europe isn't an option for a lot of players.

TFC have gone through cycles without much to show for it in MLS. Hopefully this year. To be honest I see more value to a single Canadian like Osorio getting time with the players he has around him than to have a lot of average ones who will never make a difference to our MNT. He will. 

The sell/move part is always a real issue with North American sports teams. Not that they would but my point was that the CSA is not in a strong position compared to the clubs. They are already exceeding the requirement by double so that makes the CSA's position even weaker.

MLS should do it because we are major positive contributors to their bottom line. Nice has nothing to do with it. Attendance at all 3 is top 7 in the league. 

All 3 are doing a lot to get Canadians on the field but that last step is the hardest and most promising players struggle at it. That one is up to the players. That is make or break time and it comes down to their skills. If they will help the coach keep his job by making a positive difference every time they are on the field no coach will keep them off it. 

I think we're on the same page on a lot of respects, only I suppose I'm a touch more cynical than you. We could go back and forth on this but there's no wrong or right here, just a difference of opinion. In the end we both just want to see the opportunities afforded by MLS used to their maximum advantage for the CMNT.

I think we're on the same page on a lot of respects, only I suppose I'm a touch more cynical than you. We could go back and forth on this but there's no wrong or right here, just a difference of opinion. In the end we both just want to see the opportunities afforded by MLS used to their maximum advantage for the CMNT.

Someone more cynical than me? Wow. We both need beer and lots of it! True on the other counts.

Does anyone know what happened to Jaineil Hoilett?

I read he was not signed by FCD nor sent to USL squad. He's a free agent really was hoping for him to catch on with an MLS team. He will hopefully find a team in USL to prove his worth and work his way to MLS. Best option for him honestly

Adekugbe put in a warrior's performance, you could tell those ribs were still really hurting him but he didn't want to give up his starting spot.

Hard to take much away from Froese's performance, he played fine and has really nice ball control but the energy was so out of the team by that point.

Adekugbe put in a warrior's performance, you could tell those ribs were still really hurting him but he didn't want to give up his starting spot.

Hard to take much away from Froese's performance, he played fine and has really nice ball control but the energy was so out of the team by that point.

I thought Sam was signalling for a sub at one point but he managed to finish the game. Kianz was very good coming on for Nico. Nico was very good on offence but not so good on defence. Powell was pretty much owning that side of the field and putting lots of crosses in. Once Kianz came in he solidified it nicely. 

Larin got a bit of a break as Pedro Ribeiro had to leave the game due to an hamstring injury after 22 minutes. Larin has come in and he has been active so far (in the first half). This might give him a couple of starts in the next weeks.

Also of note, Kofi Opare had his first ever start for DC. I have no idea if he's even eligible but he still listed as a Canadian. 

Archived