Canada vs. Guatemala (March 26th 2015) ?

aloyol

I thought 1992s were eligible for qualifying this summer. I know that a few '89s like Saiko were on the team three years ago. If I'm wrong then Floro should be calling up senior players because this isn't a fucking U-23 friendly, for fuck's sake, that's presumably why guys like Hainault were there in the first place.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought 1992s were eligible for qualifying this summer. I know that a few '89s like Saiko were on the team three years ago. If I'm wrong then Floro should be calling up senior players because this isn't a fucking U-23 friendly, for fuck's sake, that's presumably why guys like Hainault were there in the first place.

January 1, 1993 is the cutoff.

The qualifying tournament for the 2012 Olympics was in 2012. The qualifying tournament for the 2016 Olympics is in 2015. 1989 + 3 = 1992.

doesn't matter when qualifying is. Matters when the actual tournament is. Hence why the pan am prep tournament is U22. ie. 93 and younger. 

Or he knows that these kids most likely won't play (or at least aren't counted on to play) and he wants to get them in to see what they can do re. Olympic qualification.

My comment was more tongue in cheek. I wasn't serious about him not knowing the NASL existed. 

I'm fine with the replacement players. They won't see the field anyways. 

So the reason why Floro is bringing in those 2 young guys as replacements, is simply just to get a look at them and train them for non senior competitions that are coming up (clearly they wont play in the 2 exhibition games). So Floro always keeps the future in mind, that much is established.

However, with this being said, I believe Floro got it wrong this time. Constantly overlooking the NASL is a misake. Even if he doesn't rate the NASL high, he has to understand this is the crop he has to work with. We are not a deep roster so if guys go down with injuries before the Gold Cup or during the WC qualifiers who is he going to turn to?????? Is he going to call up 18-20 year old players that are playing in Ontario to help us win those important matches?!  We would get killed.   Thats why lets say worst case scenario, he should be open to calling in guys from FC Edmonton or Ottawa who have more experience and presumably more talent.

Floro is playing a risky game right now, because if guys do start getting injured, hes going to wish he didn't restrict who he would call up.  Better to start expanding your roster now, teach guys in the NASL your system in the case you need to call them up for whatever reason (performing well, injuries etc). Calling up only those young kids to give them some training, experience and teach them the ropes sort of speak is not always advantageous when considering that you could be teaching it to players who could help you win right now.  VERY VERY RISKY from Floro's part.

(Also, its silly because if I guy like Ouimette were playing in NASL he wouldn't even have been called up once, but since he is in MLS he is getting called up. If a guy who is currently in NASL would be in MLS, he would have definitely gotten a couple of looks already.   A LOT of IRONY in this!) 

1. NASL is in preseason, why would Floro select such a player? Preseason is about gaining fitness levels and gelling with the team. Calling up players in preseason would decrease their chances for the season and getting half-fit players won't help the team anyway. 

2. There isn't any bias from Floro against NASL-players, most likely he thinks they aren't good enough. Does anyone here want him to actually say that? What good would that do? (Maybe later on he needs some of those players.)

3. Floro thinks about the future, obviously he sees potential in players like Grant and Piette, more so than in some of the more established NASL-players (Edwards and Trafford). Pasher is probably some sort of solution to check him out and more importantly to keep the deal with TFC about Morgan intact. 

Also, this being Canada, it's never a bad idea to cap players early on. Aleman, Larin, Boakai, I think even Cavallini are all tied. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Another point regarding these friendlies. If MLS wants to be taken seriously, it will have to create windows for international dates ASAP. The league has become so internationally oriented, almost every single team will miss players this weekend, often the better ones (TFC fi). It's too bad Larin will miss the opportunity of playing in Montreal this weekend.

Wait did you just try to explain why morgan is better than de Jong? Morgan when fit is not better than de jong when fit.

Morgan was on the bench for an MLS team. De jong kn the bench for a bundesliga team. For the same reasons you said morgan had lost confidence, the same could be said for de jong when he was on the bench. It goes both ways.

I wasn't explaining anything more than I said.

And in all fairness, I think they are different players, though I do think Morgan is a better athlete. De Jong was with a club that's been around for something close to a century. I imagine they treat all their players well. TFC is a shit circus, even by MLS standards. But beyond that, I am only describing what I noticed. I can't comment on De Jong's reaction. But I will point out that he is a veteran, and this happened early in Morgan's career. So I would expect De Jong to take things on the chin a bit more.

I wasn't explaining anything more than I said.

And in all fairness, I think they are different players, though I do think Morgan is a better athlete. De Jong was with a club that's been around for something close to a century. I imagine they treat all their players well. TFC is a shit circus, even by MLS standards. But beyond that, I am only describing what I noticed. I can't comment on De Jong's reaction. But I will point out that he is a veteran, and this happened early in Morgan's career. So I would expect De Jong to take things on the chin a bit more.

So you would have liked to see de jong "take things on the chin a bit more" and ride the pine because his club had been around for 100 years and they treat their players well?

Isn't our goal to see all our NT players play. De Jong sat on the bench for over a year. He wanted to play. Good for him for wanting to play somewhere. 

Honest question, has there been anything reported (not just speculation) on why Jonathan Osorio is not in this camp? Declined call up? Deal between Floro and TFC? Not in Floro's plans?

Thats definitely not what the issue is. Probably the deal between floro and TFC. 

1. NASL is in preseason, why would Floro select such a player? Preseason is about gaining fitness levels and gelling with the team. Calling up players in preseason would decrease their chances for the season and getting half-fit players won't help the team anyway. 

2. There isn't any bias from Floro against NASL-players, most likely he thinks they aren't good enough. Does anyone here want him to actually say that? What good would that do? (Maybe later on he needs some of those players.)

3. Floro thinks about the future, obviously he sees potential in players like Grant and Piette, more so than in some of the more established NASL-players (Edwards and Trafford). Pasher is probably some sort of solution to check him out and more importantly to keep the deal with TFC about Morgan intact. 

Also, this being Canada, it's never a bad idea to cap players early on. Aleman, Larin, Boakai, I think even Cavallini are all tied. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Another point regarding these friendlies. If MLS wants to be taken seriously, it will have to create windows for international dates ASAP. The league has become so internationally oriented, almost every single team will miss players this weekend, often the better ones (TFC fi). It's too bad Larin will miss the opportunity of playing in Montreal this weekend.

Like I said, if I guy like Ouimette was in NASL he would have probably not have been given a chance with the national team. If Mallan Roberts was signed by an MLS he would have been called up a couple of times by now. The talent level for these type of guys are very similar. I'm afraid that's the case with many Mediocore mls player and NASL.

This NASL thing is very interesting.

On one hand, you'd really expect more guys from that league to be given a chance.

On the other hand, it's very likely those guys are simply not better than Grant and whoever else that's getting called in from the div 3 level.

I mean, playing in a better league does not automaticlly render you superior to lower league guys. Floro has called in Boaki before, so we can't say he never has called up ANYONE from NASL. He's the professional here and he must see something in Roberts or Edwards (or whoever you think is deserving), that he doesn't like. Certainly that explaination is more logical than "he just doesn't value NASL".

Has there not been a conference call with the media during this camp? Or does Floro not do that? We normally have more information about why certain decisions were made don't we?

Would be nice to have Floro comments about certain players:

Has OO been called and if not will you consider him in the near future?

What´s the situation with Osorio? Do you have a deal with TFC?

What s the situation with Cavallini, Hoilett and Vittoria?

Archived