Canada vs. Guatemala (March 26th 2015) ?

aloyol

I took some creative license and I have a dream Floro

Borjan

Hirschfield

Stillo

I understand why Lars is there but find it surprising to see the name of Stillo here when we have no idea where he is right now and Kenny S. offered two very strong performances against Iceland a few weeks ago.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time Chenchiski was called up he looked awful.

True, and since the game against Belarus his club situation hasn't really improve to justify a call over Kenny S. or Lars.

The only unkown for me at keeper is Smits. Never seen him and don't know if he's MNT material.

True, and since the game against Belarus his club situation hasn't really improve to justify a call over Kenny S. or Lars.

The only unkown for me at keeper is Smits. Never seen him and don't know if he's MNT material.

Stillo is there just because I am hoping he ends up somewhere good. Smits is definitely an interesting option to have backup Borjan. I have not seen him enough, but he is playing regularly. This fact alone puts him in competition for the starting spot.

Stillo is there just because I am hoping he ends up somewhere good. Smits is definitely an interesting option to have backup Borjan. I have not seen him enough, but he is playing regularly. This fact alone puts him in competition for the starting spot.

IMO, in our starting 11 there's 2 players who have currently no competition and are de facto starters, Atiba and Borjan. For Smits to challenge for the starting spot, he would need to be call and also playing at a higher level.

no way is smits is in competition for the starting spot..... its borjans...

I'm more interested in Ricardo Ferreira, who is young and doesn't look like he'll be getting a shot with Portugal.

He retweeted this in August 2013 

Just saw that Portuguese-Canadian youngster @RickyFerreira16 is at Olhanense. That leaves @Bryan_Cristante at Milan. Call them up, @tofloes!

Yes I know I'm grasping at straws. Also seems to be close with Ricky Gomes. 

Just saw that Portuguese-Canadian youngster @RickyFerreira16 is at Olhanense. That leaves @Bryan_Cristante at Milan. Call them up, @tofloes!

I wonder if Floro is aware of him.

One thing I want to see, and I hope a lot of you guys agree, is that Floro needs to call everyone. Guys like Osorio, Teibert, and the like need to be with the NT. I don't care if their clubs throw a fit Floro needs to put his foot down for call ups like Klinsmann and the Central American coaches do.

Agreed. Osorio and teibert need to be there

I doubt Smits will be called for a few reasons.

First and foremost, as Smits is not in the running for the starting keeper (an assessment I think 99% of people here would agree with), then Floro has shown that he would rather look towards longer term options for the backup or third stringer. Quillan Roberts is an example of a player who is not a better option GK than Smits today, but has a much greater upside. Carducci will be in this spot soon IMO.

Second, while he was the #1 keeper in Edmonton last year, he was so primarily due to Parker's terrible year with injuries. Smits also lost the #1 spot to Parker for a stretch in the fall season only to gain it back due to injuries. His playing time in 2015 will also go down as the Eddies signed Matt van Oekel for the #1 GK spot. He may take back the #1 spot, or he may not, I don't know.

Third, Smits has a tendency to give up penalties after significant mistakes in the 6 yard box. He did this twice in successive games in the fall season, which is why he lost the #1 spot to Parker.

Yes, Smits won the NASL Golden Glove last year but that is also a reflection on Edmonton's tremendous backline as much as it is Smits' abilities. The same backline only gave up 26 goals in 26 games in 2013 with Parker in net.

For folks to pencil him in simply because he is getting minutes is really just a reflection on our goalkeepers sad club situation.

I'm more interested in Ricardo Ferreira, who is young and doesn't look like he'll be getting a shot with Portugal.

Ferreira may not have a shot right now, but most of the top CB's for Portugal are over 30 so in about 5 years he might and may wait for that chance. Same for Cristante, time is on their side and we are likely a fall back option.

Any ideas of when the roster is coming out for this game? It is usually ten days before the match no? Which is tomorrow. I feel like at least a couple of players who will be going to the camp have usually been leaked by now. 

So far, Piette will be called up, Issey won't be, and Monsalve was called up but will probably decline due to America de Cali having two injured keepers and this is his chance to nab the starting spot. I assume we'll hear a roster this week. I hope the MLS guys are called in.

Archived