Canada vs. Guatemala (March 26th 2015) ?

aloyol

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for feed CSA!

As for game, Canada almost got screwed but they didn't which is odd since refs always find a way to screw against CONCACAF teams.   Biggest issue I have is lack of creative players in middle of field who can send that killer pass.  Besides that, it was okay game for Canada.

Was this same Guatemala team that finished 2nd in Gold Cup qualifier?  If so, then they don't look that great out there.   

huh, just checked the FIFA rankings calculator for this match.

It's worth quite a bit, Guatemala is a relatively high ranked team.

We all know how faulty those ranks actually are, but its the number everyone looks at.

it'll only bump us up ~3 sports though. Slow and steady.

I'm pretty sure it was Edgar. Ledgerwood passed it to him and then he tried to hit De Jong moving forward but he led De Jong to far and De Jong didn't move enough.

The give away before that chance was legitimately a pass straight onto the foot of a Guatemalan from a few feet away, it couldn't have been any more perfect if he planned it.  No communication problems just an awful pass. 

The give away before that chance was legitimately a pass straight onto the foot of a Guatemalan from a few feet away, it couldn't have been any more perfect if he planned it. No communication problems just an awful pass.

Just watched it again, it was Edgar. It was a pass back from JDG that stopped short and Edgar looked to go to De Jong but seemed to miss hit it.

didn't watch the entire game. did Floro abandon defending deep in set pieces? because that's just stupid way of defending set pieces

I don't remember the Guats having a lot of attacking free kicks, but the one I do remember, it seemed like we were just on top of our 6 yard box.

Glad they were able to get a webcast for the game. Difficult to tell on the feed if that was a penalty or not - can't tell if the Guatemalan defender got the ball or not. Larin might have had more of a shout for one later in that half.

Looked like yet another game played in tough conditions, making it difficult to judge. We aren't scoring enough goals or creating enough chances from open play, meaning that we have to be lethal on set pieces and defend better than we did at times in this game against not-the-most-overwhelming offense in the region.

Encouraging though to be undefeated with Floro against Concacaf teams.

Borjan, de Jong, and Bekker were very good. 

Edgar and Jakovic play well with the ball in front of them but struggle when they have to turn and track back. Ledgerwood was better than I expected - first half at least.

Piette is weak in a 4-1-4-1. He doesn't find space to receive the ball from the defense so we are always left with the only option of lobbing the ball up the field. We need a holding mid who is more mobile or better at finding space (ahem *Tiebert*) or need 2 holding mids. 

Ricketts and Tissot didn't do much. Neither did Teibert. Again, this might be because of the formation. Canadian defenders are not very good with the ball at their feet and they have few options moving it forward.

Haber was good - scored on the clean header and drew what should have been a penalty. 

Just watched it again, it was Edgar. It was a pass back from JDG that stopped short and Edgar looked to go to De Jong but seemed to miss hit it.

Yes it was Edgar and Borjan made an excellent save since he was out of position and wasn t expecting our CB to lose the ball like that.

He said the four players missing were the "spinal cord", defence and midfield. That does not sound like De Rosario is in the mix of the 22 players.

Talking about possession, I am surprised Floro does not simply ask for it. He clearly asks for back passing and starting again, but he does not seem to be saying to the back line that if there is a clear pass into a mid you must take it as a priority. This may be related to what he said early on about trying to look for advantage going forward by trying a long pass when available.

Borjan scared me a few times again this match. It's hard for me to imagine us accomplishing anything major with him in net, as much as I love the guy and his charisma.

I thought he did pretty well in really difficult conditions. I might be forgetting something but I don t remember him making a scary play.

Borjan pushed one ball out, fully extended to his left towards the corner flag, when it was looking well wide from our angle, with Guate's bearing down. A couple times he dribbled out of the back unnecessarily, once vs Ruiz IIRC. A younger Carlos would have burned him badly I think. Solid Borjan performance otherwise, just scares the heck out of me way too often for my liking.

Hutchinson, Osorio, Hainault, Henry

That could also be the 4.  He hasn't given much time/call ups to Osorio so maybe he's not in there though and De Rosario is.  De Rosario does have 2 goals in 2 games this year and has featured prominently it would be odd for Floro to drop him after this long.  You also wonder about Will Johnson and what he thinks of him because he could very well rate him and have him as a key player.

Archived