Canada vs. Guatemala (March 26th 2015) ?

aloyol

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its good but I'd rather we travel to Central America to play these games so guys like Henry, Bekker, Hamilton, Tiebert etc dont shit their pants when we play there in WCQ

This.  I'm sure it's not easy to arrange, but playing against Central Americans in their backyard is essential.  Apart from the old goalscoring issue, getting results in the difficult conditions (heat, hostile crowds, questionable refereeing, opponent simulation) remains a huge obstacle.  Until Canada gets to grips with this, we won't be qualifying for much of anything.

Well, we played in Panama in November. At some point, we can't force them to host us, can we?

Maybe we won't have the atmosphere of a game in CA but at least we're facing one of them which is better than an european opponent in term of playing style.

this during an actual FIFA window?

Yes, there's a March 23 to March 31 international break.  TFC is breaking from March 14 to March 29.  Though both Montreal and Vancouver are playing through ...

USA is playing Denmark on March 25 and Switzerland on March 31st.

New article posted Feb 7th:

http://pedrovision-noticias.com/2015/02/07/la-nota-deportiva-guatemala-confirma-amistosos-ante-canada-el-salvador-y-uruguay/

It says the same thing, March 26th in Fort Lauderdale.

So no Paraguay game, no Venezuela game, but yes to Guatemala then! This one says confirmed, so 3rd time's the charm then eh?

Its good but I'd rather we travel to Central America to play these games so guys like Henry, Bekker, Hamilton, Tiebert etc dont shit their pants when we play there in WCQ

100%. The holiday inn in fort lauderale isn't San Pedro Sula or Panama City. This is better than playing some mid tier european team though. 

There are financial considerations with central american teams. Guatemala would make little money, if any at all playing us at home. In the states they can charge their expats way more per ticket.

I'm surprised it isn't in SoCal though.

Canada rarelyyy plays in SoCal. Always Florida. Easier for European players to make it over. 

I meant because Guatemala play there alot and there are loads of Guats in SoCal to buy tickets.

I dont think they're in it to make money. It could even be another closed door friendly. Doesn't the US take a percentage of gate receipts from games held in their country anyways.

Well they're not in it to lose money.

Biggest goal right now is wcq prep. If hosting it in fla opposed to so cal gets more european players over it makes sense.

We dont need another camp cupcake.

Money will come if we qualify for the hex / copa america/ world cup/ win gold cup.

Biggest goal right now is wcq prep. If hosting it in fla opposed to so cal gets more european players over it makes sense.

We dont need another camp cupcake.

Money will come if we qualify for the hex / copa america/ world cup/ win gold cup.

I'm not talking about Canada, i'm talking about Guatemala!

^^^ Agreed that we should do everything possible to play away games in Central America and maybe some in T&T, Jamaica, etc. As far as the wake up call goes, it probably was that for that particular group of young men. But there is absolutely no excuse for the CSA or their coaching and support staff to have that come as a surprise. Anyone who has followed the Canadian men's soccer program at any time in the last 20 years should be well aware of this unless they were in a coma at the time. But have we responded to that or adapted our preparation for away games that matter when it comes time to qualify for WCQ??

I think the answer is clearly no. If you check the MNT history on the CSA page you will see that in the last TEN years we have only played away friendlies in Central America or the Caribbean THREE times and every time it was in Jamaica. In 2010 and 2006 the opponent was Jamaica and in 2007 we played Bermuda there. Other than that the only times we played away in CONCACAF (other than USA) was during WCQ cycles where we usually got handed the obligatory ass kicking. Does anyone see a pattern here and a potential strategy to overcome this? :rolleyes:

Minor Edit: Yes I know that we played Panama away last year. I mean the 10 years prior to that game.

^^^ Agreed that we should do everything possible to play away games in Central America and maybe some in T&T, Jamaica, etc. As far as the wake up call goes, it probably was that for that particular group of young men. But there is absolutely no excuse for the CSA or their coaching and support staff to have that come as a surprise. Anyone who has followed the Canadian men's soccer program at any time in the last 20 years should be well aware of this unless they were in a coma at the time. But have we responded to that or adapted our preparation for away games that matter when it comes time to qualify for WCQ??

I think the answer is clearly no. If you check the MNT history on the CSA page you will see that in the last TEN years we have only played away friendlies in Central America or the Caribbean THREE times and every time it was in Jamaica. In 2010 and 2006 the opponent was Jamaica and in 2007 we played Bermuda there. Other than that the only times we played away in CONCACAF (other than USA) was during WCQ cycles where we usually got handed the obligatory ass kicking. Does anyone see a pattern here and a potential strategy to overcome this? :rolleyes:

Minor Edit: Yes I know that we played Panama away last year. I mean the 10 years prior to that game.

Well hopefully the away games in round 2 and 3 provide somewhat of a prep for the conditions. Albeit against weaker competition. 

^^^ And that is a good part of my point. Why would you use WCQ games as practice/warm up games to ensure that you can win, or at least draw, or at the very least not shit the bed in WCQ games that we absolutely need a result in? By the time we realize that our team (including all of the entourage who are not players) are unable to handle the heat/pressure it is way too late to do anything about it that will bring meaningful improvement before we are bounced out of qualifying again.

Then everybody says, "Well next cycle is when we will be ready." And the long suffering Vs will start singing, "We're going to Qatar. We're going to Qatar! And now you're gonna believe us. We're going to Qatar!" Total bullshit if we don't even try to learn how to play away in CONCACAF. The way to learn to play there is to play there often and not wait until your whole WCQ campaign is at stake. I know Canadians are kinda polite and all but are we also going to continue to be a bunch of naïve country bumpkins when we go on the road? Time to wise up a bit.

^^^ And that is a good part of my point. Why would you use WCQ games as practice/warm up games to ensure that you can win, or at least draw, or at the very least not shit the bed in WCQ games that we absolutely need a result in? By the time we realize that our team (including all of the entourage who are not players) are unable to handle the heat/pressure it is way too late to do anything about it that will bring meaningful improvement before we are bounced out of qualifying again.

Then everybody says, "Well next cycle is when we will be ready." And the long suffering Vs will start singing, "We're going to Qatar. We're going to Qatar! And now you're gonna believe us. We're going to Qatar!" Total bullshit if we don't even try to learn how to play away in CONCACAF. The way to learn to play there is to play there often and not wait until your whole WCQ campaign is at stake. I know Canadians are kinda polite and all but are we also going to continue to be a bunch of naïve country bumpkins when we go on the road? Time to wise up a bit.

I agree, but if we can't beat the british virgin islands or domenica away from home then we should just fold up the program. In that sense they better be warm ups for the real games. 

Another thing can be said for a friendly vs a WC spot on the line while playing in Central America. Sure you can play there in a friendly with the heat and humidity in a half empty stadium. What about with the pressure of win and you get in with the stadium bursting at the seems with bags of piss being through at you.

Its like practicing for a job interview or writing practice exams. It can prepare you to a certain extent. But nothing can replicate the actual situation. It comes to a point where you either got it or you dont, no matter what the prep. 

Thats why its better for us to play these weaker opponents during WCQ away from home and not start our campaign in the Hex. It's also a reason why ppl would like to see us qualify for the Gold Cup and olympic qualifying turni. We would play minnows away from home with some pressure but not against strong opposition. 

I may come to regret this post but here it goes. Legend has it that our MNT coach said at some point in time that, "you F#@k with your rooster" and I appreciate that someone in the CSA is willing to call at it as they see it. In CONCACAF we need to play against, and get results against, a number of national teams that are fueled by a great big pile of machismo. Whether their  mindset is right or wrong, based on a whole bunch of self aggrandizing delusion or not, is irrelevant as long as they rally around the belief that their team is strong and our team is weaker. It has been said that, "One does not simply walk into Central Mordor.", and I think there may be some wisdom in that. However, I think that if we are ever to get any amount of respect from our regional rivals, we have to show that we are prepared to fornicate with our rooster in Central Mordor rather than retreat like a group of fuzzy felines. The question is, do the northern gringos have the cohones to compete on the away turf?

Benito and company, over to you. 

Archived