Gold Cup 2015 Details - Canada to host a game!

DontPanic

If Kerfoot doesn't get railed out of a stadium.....

Actually a big fan of moving games around the country. ''Twas a tongue in check continuation of jpg's line. If you replace Toronto in my post with Koffie and Vancouver with Alderson the joke will be clearer. Meant in fun only and no disrespect to Vancouver

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news! I can't wait! But BTW, from what I'm reading, I'm pretty much getting that Toronto will hosts some Gold Cup matches, but there's still a chance Canada won't even play at BMO unless they get drawn into Group B. I mean I'm sure that isn't going to happen but it is possible. WTF kind of BS is this??? 

Vancouver has done ok in U-20 and a few V-cup games but it is like what, the 3rd or 4th best venue. No way it gets the nod over Toronto - Toronto is a beast. And Montreal is an established veteran and a much needed venue presence. I think it is fair to say Even Edmonton is ahead of Vancouver at this stage Vancouver clearly hasn't impressed the CSA. Really we can't aford to mess this up and and need to put our best venues forward. Soccer in Canada can only benefit if Toronto does well, and maybe in 10 or 15 years we can put a game in Vancouver.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Gold Cup is a business and the best way to maximize profits is by playing in Toronto. Vancouver's time will come, but not in an important competition like the Gold Cup where results are paramount. They need to develop in reserve tournaments and prove they are BETTER than any foreign cities before earning a Gold Cup game.

Random question. Whose permission, and I'm sure we would need someone's, would we need to ask if we wanted to display banners on the first and second decks around the stadium since it would probably be covering advertising and even it it wasn't they usually don't allow banners anyways anywhere but within the south end and section 111? Would it be the CSA, CONCACAF, FIFA, ETC? Or even if we wanted to do a big confetti show. Would they allow confetti outside south end, not that its stopped me in the past but this would be on a much bigger level? Just throwing around some ideas in case Canada does play in Toronto.

Random question. Whose permission, and I'm sure we would need someone's, would we need to ask if we wanted to display banners on the first and second decks around the stadium since it would probably be covering advertising and even it it wasn't they usually don't allow banners anyways anywhere but within the south end and section 111? Would it be the CSA, CONCACAF, FIFA, ETC? Or even if we wanted to do a big confetti show. Would they allow confetti outside south end, not that its stopped me in the past but this would be on a much bigger level? Just throwing around some ideas in case Canada does play in Toronto.

It depends on the venue, but in this case it will very likely be the CSA.

The trouble is who will be in those seats, we really don't know, we also don't know if the upper decks will be open.

It's hard to say what getting around the city will be like during the Pan Am games.

One thing yet to be mentioned is that BMO will be at 30,000 seats by the time Gold Cup rolls around. What other SSS in North America (excluding Mexico, of course) has that capacity AND grass? The StubHub Center in LA has 27,000 but expands to 30,000 seats for internationals or other events. That is the only one I can think of.

Obviously not a deal breaker, but perhaps the bigger capacity is another reason for experimenting with Toronto. You can have a grass surface and get an extra 8 to 12 k if you play Toronto as opposed to say, Denver, Salt Lake City, Montreal etc. Yeah, there are smaller US venues for the GC, like Kansas City, but that stadium is a gem and has become somewhat of a crew stadium 2.0 for the USMNT (notice they are conveniently playing there in the group stage).

A closer look at some of the other venues is quite interesting. I don't get why they are throwing Dallas a bone by having the Americans open the tournament up at Toyota Stadium of all places? That I cannot explain.

Another strange one is BBVA Compass Stadium hosting a group B fixture. Costa Rica are successful enough now that they'd fill the place on there own, but that other game has me wondering if they're banking on 1 of Guatemala, El Salvador or Honduras being in that group? I hope so for their sake, because I really can't see Canada vs. T&T being a good draw down there. At least such a match won't be played in the NFL stadium...

Anyways, I went off on a tangent. Point is that I am happy Toronto was selected and hope it turns into an ongoing thing. Maybe Vancouver will get a chance one day in the future.

Vancouver   is  a  lovely   town .  Did  a  awesome  job   with  Winter  Games   and  the  few  Grey  Cup   games  it  has  recently  hosted   including   2005   in  which  I  attended.  But   I  wonder  since  the  riots  in  2011  I  think  Vancouver  as  a  Sports  town   has  become  so  hated.  Or  is  that  just  me  who  thinks  that.  Vancouver   would  be  great  host  for  Gold  Cup   Matches   along  with  T.O.  and  Montreal.

Don`t forget the U20, which according to FIFA was the most successful version.

As "fair" as it would be to have the CMNT play in 3 dif cities, it would be terrible in terms of transportation. I mean you're going across 3 time zones and a 5hr flight. TO to Montreal would be the only ones that make sense.

Maybe Vancouver could host a knock out stage match though?

In any case, I'm SUPER happy about this and am looking forward to  a meaningful match. I'm sure they'll be happy to have a home game for once in a tournament.

Gotta make a BMO fortress and keep tickets to a minimum and away from away fans. We're going to need those 3 points.

Since this is supposed to not be necessarily a home field advantage for us but rather an open competition, I doubt there's any way CONCACAF would ever consider limiting tickets for either country's fans.

Agreed - something similar to what they've done in settle or Portland. Massive banner coming down for the second level right before the national anthem.

I am really looking forward to this,,,I think a few things factored in this decision. Toronto been a great soccer market, sponsorship with Scotia, the CSA getting their shit together etc.

EDIT: The quote function seems to be bust. the first sentence of this post relates to a post on page to calling for a banner and the works on the second level.

Sorry to double post but just for clarification, IF we get drawn into Group B we'd not only have the BMO game to go to in July but also the Pan Am games for the U23s in Hamilton? Man, that'd make a trip out east worth it hands-down. Could someone from the Hammer put up a poor Westerner if this ends up playing out?

^ Hey Jeff! PM me!

Carl can't we just do this in public for once? I'm tired of keeping this relationship in the dark  ;)

I'll DM you once the draw is done if we get Group B. And yeah when we're not at a game or in the pub I'd hope we'd be rocking out in that studio of yours.

I am definitely up for a massive banner/tifo. I would love to help organize it. Local Toronto footy fans have a lot of free weekends up until May 10 and then it will probably be pretty tight for free weekends as TFC will have a flood of home matches. I suggest we come up with an idea and try to get it done before then. I'll be buying 4-6 bolts of banner cloth in February-ish for the TFC home opener. Perhaps we can put the two orders together to save some cash?

The luxury boxes under the east side upper deck could pose a problem. They are not sold as obstructed viewing. Additionally, I doubt any of us will have seats in the upper deck. We would have to get permission for this or it could go to shit just trying to get up there to unfurl it, let alone obstructing the suits. Knowing how hard it is to communicate with organizers on something like this, it might just be better to use the south end again.

On the future upside TFC is building in rigging for the new roof that is coming for 2016 so we should be able to do some awesome stuff then and it will be much easier. Not in time for this though.

Anyway, this is a great chance to get something special done. Let's do it.

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm. It does say that the Costa Rica head coach and manager (?) will travel to Philly for the draw. Man, this kind of sucks, I assumed that when CONCACAF announced Toronto as a venue they would manipulate the groups to have Canada at home but this clearly states "draw." It's still possible that it is engineered and not random.

Hmmmm. It does say that the Costa Rica head coach and manager (?) will travel to Philly for the draw. Man, this kind of sucks, I assumed that when CONCACAF announced Toronto as a venue they would manipulate the groups to have Canada at home but this clearly states "draw." It's still possible that it is engineered and not random.

I've never seen a FIFA tournament hosted by 2 countries, where the one country didn't have any home games!  I wouldn't worry ...

It's going to be announced tomorrow.

CONCACAF say:

The Gold Cup will take place in 13 cities across the United States and Canada. Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Toronto will all host group stage double-headers. Atlanta, Baltimore, New York/New Jersey, and Philadelphia have been slated for knockout round matches, with the final schedule set to be announced on Thursday.

Update:

Live stream active from 10:30am Eastern Time tomorrow morning:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9404595/GC2015-Schedule

What?!  We HAVE to play at home here... I have a hard time seeing them selling out 30,000 BMO for a double header without Canada.

Also, Group B is set to play the same weekend as TFC in LA.. which is also July 4th weekend.  This may be the most corrupt thing CONCACAF has ever done.

Archived