Gold Cup 2015 Details - Canada to host a game!

DontPanic

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we are at it, what is the process/ plan for those intrepid souls who might want to see the CMNT in Carson, CA plus Houston, TX and then at BMO? I see we have plans afoot for BMO but what is the plan for the first two games?

I'm sure DontPanic (our resident travel guru) will have some details sooner than latter. Man I wish I had my vacation that week.

While we are at it, what is the process/ plan for those intrepid souls who might want to see the CMNT in Carson, CA plus Houston, TX and then at BMO? I see we have plans afoot for BMO but what is the plan for the first two games?

Very tempted to fly out of YTO to LAX then to HOU and back to YTO about 800.00 airfare and six nights of hotel.

Can anyone recommend some good & rather cheap hotels near BMO? Or anywhere that is easy to get there from?

Cheapest hotels are by the airport. Closer to downtown you get the more pricey in my experience.

Is the new transit link from the airport to downtown going to be done by the summer? Otherwise it's 45min to an hour to get to downtown and a little less to BMO field.

Cheapest hotels are by the airport. Closer to downtown you get the more pricey in my experience.

Is the new transit link from the airport to downtown going to be done by the summer? Otherwise it's 45min to an hour to get to downtown and a little less to BMO field.

It is supposed to be ready for PanAm games this summer. I think it is still on schedule. I live by the Bloor station and it looks close to complete.

I thought I would add to this, just in case you are coming to the Hammer for the Pan Am games and are looking to go to this game. For around $20 you can get GO day pass from the Hamilton GO station (or just about any station on the line) which will bus you out to Aldershot to the train to Toronto (I'm assuming the new direct train to Liuna station won't be ready by July). It takes about an hour and a bit to get to BMO (the Exhibition stop) and ensures you won't have to deal with Toronto Traffic as you DO NOT want to try to get to BMO via car between the hours of 3-7 on the QEW. Traffic is always brutal around rush hour.

Also, according to wikipedia, Pan Am Rugby's finals are booked for BMO Sun 12...so it might be a good test to see how the new pitch holds up under a worst case scheduling scenario.

I'm assuming the new direct train to Liuna station won't be ready by July

The new James North GO station, adjacent to the former Hamilton CN station (now owned by Liuna) will be open by July.  It's the terminus for GO's Pan-Am soccer train service.  Though I doubt it will provide trips at the right time to get back to Hamilton after the game.  But you are right, GO to Aldershot works great.

BTW, Pan-Am games tickets include GO, TTC, HSR fares all day - though I guess that doesn't help one get to the Gold Cup.

Also, according to wikipedia, Pan Am Rugby's finals are booked for BMO Sun 12...so it might be a good test to see how the new pitch holds up under a worst case scheduling scenario.

I don't think there is any new pitch at BMO yet.  They are still using the old grass for another season or two as far as I know.  So by the time Canada plays at 8:30, it will have already had a soccer game, and we're only 2 days after 2-days of solid rugby.

The new James North GO station, adjacent to the former Hamilton CN station (now owned by Liuna) will be open by July.  It's the terminus for GO's Pan-Am soccer train service.  Though I doubt it will provide trips at the right time to get back to Hamilton after the game.  But you are right, GO to Aldershot works great.

BTW, Pan-Am games tickets include GO, TTC, HSR fares all day - though I guess that doesn't help one get to the Gold Cup.

I don't think there is any new pitch at BMO yet.  They are still using the old grass for another season or two as far as I know.  So by the time Canada plays at 8:30, it will have already had a soccer game, and we're only 2 days after 2-days of solid rugby.

They say it will be open, but I'll believe it when I see it, I think you will be right on the trains if it does open in time. I think the plan was only an additional 5 trains to start in addition to the 2 rush hour trains that run to the Hunter St. GO. I know the bus service to Aldershot should be continuing from the Hunter St GO station, so I'd say you'd probably safer leaving from there, but the transits scheduling closer to the date should be checked. The main point is though, if you are staying in Hamilton for the pan am games, do not try to drive to Toronto for a 8:30PM game unless you give yourself at least 2 hours to get there. Traffic in and out of Toronto becomes gridlock at rush hour.

As far as the pitch, that sounds like it's going to be ripped up pretty bad if that is the case.

They say it will be open, but I'll believe it when I see it

The whole point of them doing that station now, without the stations further towards Grimsby, and without the new yard, is for the games.  Worst comes to worst for the games, they'll simply build a temporary wooden platform in a few days, some wooden staircases, and run a handicapped shuttle from the platform itself.  There will be service.  I wouldn't be surprised though if the additonal rush-hour trains don't begin service until September though, even if the station is ready.

As far as the pitch, that sounds like it's going to be ripped up pretty bad if that is the case.

It will be interesting to see.  Might be a function of the weather during the rugby.  I reckon it's 34 15-minute matches.  Equivalent of over 6 rugby matches in 2 days!

@ xcalibre    I ran the numbers for driving vs. flying and the driving option doesn't really make sense. Driving distance from Carson to Houston is 1550 miles and 21 hours under ideal conditions. There are a number of one way flight options for under $200 and then a number of flight options for Houston to Toronto for under $250. Can't pay for the car's fuel for those prices let alone the fatigue, etc. I think any Gold Cup roadtrips will likely be running through airports for this cycle.

@ xcalibre    I ran the numbers for driving vs. flying and the driving option doesn't really make sense. Driving distance from Carson to Houston is 1550 miles and 21 hours under ideal conditions. There are a number of one way flight options for under $200 and then a number of flight options for Houston to Toronto for under $250. Can't pay for the car's fuel for those prices let alone the fatigue, etc. I think any Gold Cup roadtrips will likely be running through airports for this cycle.

There is a direct train from Los Angeles to Houston.  It's about a 35-hour trip, but costs $195 (for a seat, no bunk) - though that would save a hotel room for a night.

I suppose one could do the entire Gold Cup trip by train if one wanted ... hmm, a little close though, you'd arrive back at Union station 50 minutes before kickoff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived