2014-15 TFC Offseason

Barthez-Battalion

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he actually said that there would be a transfer fee only if he arrives early. At least that's how I understand this tweethttps://twitter.com/wheelertsn/status/556628843734528000

Ok so he's clarifying what he had written.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/toronto-fc-signs-italian-international-giovinco-from-juventus-1.185336

Sources say Giovinco, 27, will join Toronto FC on a four-year contract worth $7 million USD annually. It is expected Giovinco will stay with Juventus in Italy until July, although the exact timing of his move has not been confirmed. It is believed that a multi-million dollar transfer fee will be paid for the player.

They keep saying Giovinco is going to play AM; but I think he's more of a secondary striker or left wing.  I could see TFC converting to a 4-3-3 with this signing next year.  Does something like this work?

I think that you'd still want to upgrade on Warner at DM and Hagglund at CB but this looks like a really good team.  This assumes that we can either buy Gilberto down from DP or the league goes with the much rumored 4th DP.

Bloom------Caldwell-----Hagglund------Morrow

------------------------Warner--------------------------

-------------Osorio-------------Bradley--------------

--Gilberto---------------------------------Giovinco--

-----------------------Altadore-------------------------

I was thinking about it and Jackson played mostly RB with FC Dallas.  He slid into the RW position for them and that's where he played for us as well.  I know we're not always enamoured with him as a winger and forward but he has great athleticism and I could see him as an upgrade over Bloom at RB.  Just a thought.

He becomes their 8th DP.  Can't say they won't spend the money, that's for sure.

IS TFC running the risk of becoming a perpetual big-spending flop?  Each year, new big names in for lots of money to which they say, "hey, we're trying to win!"  But then, like last year it falls apart.

So it goes with DP's I guess.  It seems they're more about the marketing than the on the pitch stuff. 

Don't get me wrong though, I think Giovinco is a fantastic signing.  I can see him being the best player in the league. 

Baulderdash, we are on the same wavelength with a few things. I would think about Jackson at RB - for home games. I'd stick 4-4-2 but go with a diamond and put Giovinco behind the 2 strikers. Osorio and Bradley as box-to-box mids playing pinched in ahead of Warner. Obviously our wide play suffers but we would own the middle of the park.

To be honest unless we start talking about radical formations Giovinco really does make Gilberto a bit redundant.  I hate to give up on a productive player like Gilberto but I don't know if he fits anymore.

The best formation for us really is probably a 4-4-1-1 with Oduro & Jackson on the wings, Osorio & Bradley as box to box midfielder's and Giovinco recessed behind Altidore up front.  This pretty much maximizes the play of our talent and I think it would terrorize opposing teams.

I like the wide play that Oduro gives us over Gilberto in the same role.  He has such good pace and he can deliver pretty good service from the wing.  I'm not sure if Gilberto is going to have the same range tracking back and occupying the other wings.  Jackson supplies similar options out wide.  Those 2 guys drive other teams wide midfielders nuts.

Comments on the Giovinco signing article on mlssoccer.com seem to indicate that Taylor Twellman is reporting that there will indeed be 4 DP slots for MLS teams this year. Which would likely mean Gilberto isn't going anyway. One would also assume the salary cap is going to be going up considerably to make room for the 4th DP and not pay the rest of your starters peanuts.

Gilberto might be gone?

As has widely been suggested, that means Gilberto's TFC future largely hangs in the balance.The Brazilian Designated Player, who impressed TFC supporters with his work rate in 2014, will be the odd man out, the Sun has learned.

Talk of MLS adding a fourth Designated Player spot appears inconsequential as the Reds will look to move Gilberto for the right offer, according to an informed MLS source.

A potential transfer for Gilberto after a season or two with TFC has always been in the cards, with the Brazilian arriving in MLS as a means to get to Europe.

The Toronto Sun can also confirm the Reds already have multiple good offers in for Gilberto from outside MLS. 

Source: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/18/giovinco-could-garner-biggest-deal-in-mls-history

IS TFC running the risk of becoming a perpetual big-spending flop?  Each year, new big names in for lots of money to which they say, "hey, we're trying to win!"  But then, like last year it falls apart.

I don't think that TFC really understand that one of the hallmarks of great teams/organizations is stability. They seem more interested in making headlines, with these off-season splashes, then wanting to develop a consistent core, that can stay together over a good three to four years, plus.

While I'm sad that TFC are likely getting rid of Gilberto, it does make the most sense. To be honest I'd much rather bring in a DP winger who can add a little bit of quality on the sides because I'm worried Giovinco might get a little frustrated with Jackson and Oduro. It's unfortunate because I really liked Gilberto, he's just surplus to requirements with all the depth we've got at striker. 

To be honest I'd much rather bring in a DP winger who can add a little bit of quality on the sides because I'm worried Giovinco might get a little frustrated with Jackson and Oduro.

Once the wingers are resolved then he'll only be frustrated with:

1) the backline

2) the strikers

3) the coaching staff

4) the caterers

5) etc.

Haha - I agree with Wenger , but if I were an MLS player, I'd be thinking about union negotiations and thinking about what it means for me and my future.  A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say. 

Analysts on ESPN keep saying that this is "huge for MLS"   I wonder how owners will position themselves as a money losing enterprise what with MLSE "overspending"

Multiple reports of Kyle Bekker being traded to Dallas. If that's true, it'll be good for him to get out of Toronto. The comments I've read about him on various outlets have been very harsh. Some of the comments I've read recently on the RPB boards include someone saying he needs to get run over by an elephant, and someone wanting to run down from the stands and bitchslap some sense into him....

NEWS: Toronto FC's Kyle Bekker is off to FC Dallas via trade. Can't confirm, but doesn't look like a player is coming back the other way.

Yes sources confirm to me TFC Kyle Bekker off to FCDallas tommorow don't know what's coming back once again best of Luck 2 a great young man

Archived