2014-15 TFC Offseason

Barthez-Battalion

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope this move works out for him. Personally I can see him being a useful player in the right situation.

I think Dallas will use him to back up Mauro Diaz. might even learn a few things from a proper CAM (even if he's same age as Diaz IIRC)

Nice to see a Canadian get on board as an international on an American MLS team.  I wish him all the best down there.  Hopefully, he does what JDG did in his time there and earn a lot of positives.  

Though I would prefer they change the rules so that Canadians get on board as domestics on American MLS teams, if you see what I mean.

I am disappointed in this trade from a TFC fan perspective who likes to see Canadians on the field for TFC (as Vanney seemed to hold Bekker in high regard), unless it means room for the likes of Chapman, Mannella and Aparicio to crack the line-up. With no De Ro, Henry gone to West Ham and now this trade, there won't be many fielded by TFC unless some of the younger dudes (Hamilton, Thomas, and the aforementioned trio) crack the line-up earlier than expected. We, at the moment, are likely looking at just Osorio getting a lot of playing time and perhaps Morgan if Morrow can manage to get himself injured. I'm assuming Roberts will, at best, stay 3rd string keeper & probably be with the USL team they are supposed to be fielding, given that they drafted a Gen Adidas keeper and still have another two.

TFC looking something like this now?

Bendik                                                    Sub: Konopka

Bloom    Perquis             Caldwell               Morrow               Subs: Delgado, Creavalle, Morgan, Hagglund

Osorio    Bradley                 Givoinco           Moore                Subs: Odurno, Warner, Lovitz, Jackson

Gilberto               Altidore                                       Subs: Dike, Findley

TFC II USL Bound – Roberts, Mannella, Aparicio, Hamilton, Chapman, Bono, Simonin, Thomas, Charpie, Rivas, Ramos, Bernal, Engel

Multiple reports of Kyle Bekker being traded to Dallas. If that's true, it'll be good for him to get out of Toronto. The comments I've read about him on various outlets have been very harsh. Some of the comments I've read recently on the RPB boards include someone saying he needs to get run over by an elephant, and someone wanting to run down from the stands and bitchslap some sense into him....

Agreed.  Hopefully a new start and more game time for Kyle.  Good that there is interest in him around the league even as an international (non-domestic).

On the downside, TFC will be thin on first team Canadians with Bekker and Henry gone.

Though I would prefer they change the rules so that Canadians get on board as domestics on American MLS teams, if you see what I mean.

I understand what you mean and agree.  I just pointed out that an American team saw enough on his c.v. to use an international spot on him.  Hopefully he can make something happen down there. 

It's official

Toronto FC trades Kyle Bekker to FC Dallas
Reds receive allocation money in return

Toronto FC announced Wednesday that it has acquired allocation money from FC Dallas in exchange for midfielder Kyle Bekker. As per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“There was an opportunity to strengthen our club via trade,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “I’d like to thank Kyle for his commitment to Toronto FC. He was a great contributor and we wish him all the best.”

Bekker, 24, was originally selected by Toronto FC, in the first round (third overall) in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft. In two seasons with Toronto FC, Bekker made a combined 35 appearances between MLS league matches and the Amway Canadian Championship.

Bekker has earned 13 caps for the Canadian national team; his most recent appearance came on November 18, 2014 during a 0-0 friendly draw against Panama.

Source: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/01/toronto-fc-trades-kyle-bekker-fc-dallas

The comments I've read about him on various outlets have been very harsh. Some of the comments I've read recently on the RPB boards include someone saying he needs to get run over by an elephant, and someone wanting to run down from the stands and bitchslap some sense out of him]

I gotta laugh at how negative people view Bekker. I honestly think people were expecting him to be an MLS allstar after a few seasons. A fresh start is a great thing, but he's made 29 appearances in his first 2 seasons. It's not as if he needs to get his career back on track, let alone get bitch slapped.

It all comes down to (as other posters have said) the Canadians as internationals in the US but sharing domestic status in Canada. Puts Canadians at a developmental disadvantage compared to American players.

Not only must they compete for domestic spots within their own country, they do not have access to compete for those same spots in the other locations outside of Canada in MLS.

I'm realizing there's not a lot of reason for a Voyageur to be watching MLS in 2015. Maybe 1 CMNT regularly playing on each club (and to be fair, Bernier is pushing it as a CMNT regular), plus a handful of appearances by some fringe players? It's really quite depressing that going into the 9th year of Canadian MLS clubs, there are still very few opportunities for a Canadian talent to get regular minutes.

If you support TFC, IMFC or VWFC as well as the Voyageurs then obviously you have more of a vested interest in MLS action, but it looks like USL may be the place to watch Canadians....

I'm realizing there's not a lot of reason for a Voyageur to be watching MLS in 2015. Maybe 1 CMNT regularly playing on each club (and to be fair, Bernier is pushing it as a CMNT regular), plus a handful of appearances by some fringe players? It's really quite depressing that going into the 9th year of Canadian MLS clubs, there are still very few opportunities for a Canadian talent to get regular minutes.

If you support TFC, IMFC or VWFC as well as the Voyageurs then obviously you have more of a vested interest in MLS action, but it looks like USL may be the place to watch Canadians....

Waiting for Dub Narcotic to rebutt this.

If MLS finally does some basic and long overdue fairness for Canadian players you may be watching a lot more Canadians but on vastly different collection of teams than now. It might require a "Canadians in MLS Highlight Reel" to see how our guys are doing because nobody will have time to watch 10 different games a week. 

USL-Pro will definitely be the place to see up and coming Canadian players. 

For me, it's more depressing that dejected Canadian supporters eagerly anticipate the failure of 30+ of our brightest players. There are opportunities for Canadian talent to get regular minutes in Canada, or MLS, but too few players to date have seized them. It's true that the MLS system is far from ideal for Canadians, but there isn't a crusade against us. Perhaps this is the year that a few more players break through. I'm certainly not going to write them off before a ball is kicked.  

Not trying to write these guys off in any way. Looking through the lineups as they sit today, I don't see any Canadian prospects breaking through to become regulars this year, ala Teibert or Osorio in 2013, who can then contribute to the national team relatively quickly. If there is one with an outside chance, it is Tissot. I didn't watch him against Iceland but by all accounts he was quite impressive.

For a lot of the prospects (ie. Carducci, Froese, Bustos, Hamilton, Roberts, Manella, Thomas, Aparicio, JGL, Jackson-Hamel, LBG), it is unrealistic to think they will break through and become starters. Hence why watching them play and develop in USL is where this Voyageur will get his excitement about MLS based talent in 2015. Of course, this is assuming I can't regularly watch Bekker or Larin at their clubs.

I have a gut feeling that Bekker will break through this year and become as valuable for Dallas as Osorio is for Toronto, or Teibert is for Vancouver. Tissot, I think, will have a good season but perhaps not on the level of those 3, but still I anticipate improvement from him. Ouimette I think will stagnate a bit this year and struggle for minutes. JGL will get less opportunities. I think Morgan's situation will remain bleek unless Morrow gets injured.

Bustos, Clarke, Froese, Hamilton, Aparicio, Manella, J-H, LBG and more will predominently play USL. I also think we'll get at least 2 surprises that come out of nowhere. USL roster filler impressing and getting the chance in MLS and taking it.

Archived