2014-15 TFC Offseason

Barthez-Battalion

The Ottawa Fury have the best named ( by the fans ) mascot in NA football... Long live Flaming Moe !!!

U Sector and RPB just need to give the mascot a cool name and use it every time she/he comes into their section to get a chant going... I guess MLSE figured the stadium with 30 k seats might be too quiet...with out a mascot getting folks to say "Lets Go Toronto".

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We sort already have a mascot (Bitchy the Hawk) or at least that's what former TFC staff member said on twitter today.    

I understand what TFC is trying to do here (make going to TFC more family friendly since they need reach out other groups to sell out 30K seats now) so I don't blame them coming up with these ideas to attract families.  

As long mascot doesn't get in our way when the game is on, then I personally will be fine with mascot.   

It's almost like TFC supporters hadn't had anything to get angry about in a few months, so they got outraged over something which, IMO, is a non-factor. Guess having an offseason where they made quality signings to fill holes (Cheryou anyone), and a complete roster well in advance of the season wasn't good enough.

Whole mascot thing baffles me.

I fully understand the argument that the atmosphere is a large part of why people (including myself) keep turning up in the south end even though this team has been...not the most competitive during their existence.  And that also drives the overal atmosphere that differentiates TFC from the other teams that I go watch on a regular basis.  But at the end of the day, a mascot hanging out in the north end to take some pictures with the kids and run a halftime show is just so inconsequential.  

Now, if people start going into the crowd and tossing t-shirts in the middle of the damn game (looking at you Raptors), that's an issue.  If security all of the sudden starts banning token (or non-token) profanity in the south end because there's a mascot standing 200 feet away, that's an issue.  If the mascot starts joyously abounding into the south end when TFC's down 2-0 and trying to high five random people, that's an issue.  I don't see any of those happening. 

I also question how this hurts the 'authenticism' of TFC, considering that pretty much every high level BPL side has a mascot.  What exactly is authenticism nowadays?  Are we trying to go back to the days of standing on the terraces and giving Chelsea grins to the travelling support?  The authenticism of the south end atmosphere is subdued nowadays because of the tourists/randoms that show up and have no idea what the hell's going on.  There were matches this year where I stood in the back of 114 and people there seemed to be legitimately surprised that everyone else stood for the entire match.  That didn't happen five years ago, and that has zero to do with the introduction of a mascot.

Toronto is playing a 4-2-3-1 with close to their regular season starting 11.  Hagglund is starting but in place of that this is pretty much our team.

--------------------------Bendick------------------------

Bloom------Hagglund------Perquis-------Morrow

---------------Bradley---------Cheyrou---------------

Findlay--------------Giovinco---------------Osorio

-----------------------Altidore---------------------------

Watched the game on livestream.....very difficult to watch with the picture freezing up every couple of minutes.

I must say I was not impressed with how TFC played. It seemed to be the same old TFC.

I was Very impressed with OKC. They seemed to control the ball, not play with it too much, and when they had nothing going they would reset.

I know it's early to judge, but when you have a payroll like TFC, they should not be losing to lower division teams.

I only tuned into the last 5 minutes of first half and OKC played like a team that's been together, while TFC played as individuals with no clear chemistry or identity. Always seems to be a problem. Cheyrou had some very nice touches though, which is promising. Giovinco on the other hand was dissapointing but it was only a few minutes that I tuned in for.

Here's the line-up based on one game (both TFC and TFC II)

TFC - First Unit

Bendik                                                 

Bloom    Perquis             Hagglund      Morrow       

Bradley                 Cheyrou            

Findley       Giovinco       Osorio 

Altidore                                                   

TFC - Second Unit

Konopka

Creavelle    Caldwell        Zavelta      Morgan

Delgado   Warner             Chapman   Lovitz

Moore           Dike

Did not Dress – Jackson

TFC II First Unit

Bono

Carhpie                  Thomas              Simonin                Davis (AP)

Manella  Uccello (AP)     Rivas                      Aparicio

Hamilton           Ramos

TFC II - Subs: Roberts, Bernal,  Babouli (AP), Kaye (AP), DiBennardo (AP), Edwards (T), Lo Presti (T), Doublette (T)

T = Trialist

AP – Academy Player

There is a review up on Waking the Red. They second the assertion that Morgan had a good game, minus a yellow. Sounds like good reviews for Chapman as well. Not much said about Osorio.

If Roberts has become the 4th keeper at TFC it's time for him to get out of Toronto, IMO. If he is not the starter at TFC 2 for the duration of the year it is a year lost.

I thought Osorio had a decent game, he linked up nicely with Giovinco and Cheyrou at times so I'm looking forward to how his chemistry develops with those two. Positionally he drifted into the centre a few times, pushing Giovinco up with Altidore moving out wide (which I don't think is a good idea). He definitely needs to improve his defensive coverage if Morrow is going to be bombing up the wing so often.

There is a review up on Waking the Red. They second the assertion that Morgan had a good game, minus a yellow. Sounds like good reviews for Chapman as well.

Morgan had a better game than Morrow did, from what I saw - certainly he seemed to be more of an attacking threat, as Morrow couldn't get any of this crosses through to people un-marked in the box (of which there were plenty on a number of occasions). To be fair to Morrow, the wind looked horrendous and was probably tougher to deal with than normal (particularly in pre-season).

Archived