2014-15 TFC Offseason

Barthez-Battalion

Just watched an interview with Vanney on the TFC website and it sounds like it will be, as expected, a 4-2-3-1.  When asked about the role of the wide players in the "3" (Giovinco obviously being in the middle), Vanney mentioned Osorio, Lovitz, Findley & Jackson as the front runners for those spots but also said Chapman & even Hamilton could slot into those roles as they have both played there in training camp thus far.

Chapman and Hamilton in a wide role? Sounds like he's forcing square pegs in a round hole - not a good sign.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giovinco in the middle?  I'd prefer Osorio play that role.

Think about it, we put Osorio on the left who is a right footed player who will be cutting inside.   Giovinco is inside.  What does the opponent have to do?  Clog the middle.  Where is a MLS backline strongest? In the middle. 

Give us some width!  If they want to shut down Giovinco out wide go ahead, we'll open up space inside for Osorio who is one of our best play makers. 

We could really use another winger, preferably a left footed player.  Daniel Lovitz is garbage, I want to like any guy who is a leftie and runs all match but he is just a poor footballer plain and simple.  Maybe the off season has been kind to him but I don't see it and I don't think he's at the level to effectively combine with proper footballers (Gio, Altidore, Bradley, Osorio, Cheyrou).

Chapman and Hamilton in a wide role? Sounds like he's forcing square pegs in a round hole - not a good sign.

To be fair, he mentioned them as not-first-choice options that could play there if the 3 or 4 other people mentioned first weren't available. Though frankly I would rather see Hamilton & Chapman in that midfield trio than Jackson, who I don't think has the offensive skill and would be more of a forced square pegg if played there.

Cathal Kelly article in the G&M today - quite critical about the big spending TFC goliath.  Better have something to show for it this season, it warns.  More or less taken verbatim for our discussions on this board!

Is there a better sports writer in the country today covering soccer (albeit sporadically)?

Cathal Kelly article in the G&M today - quite critical about the big spending TFC goliath.  Better have something to show for it this season, it warns.  More or less taken verbatim for our discussions on this board!

Is there a better sports writer in the country today covering soccer (albeit sporadically)?

I think any sports writer is better than Cathal Kelly.  Guy has no clue about footy.

In Canada?  Are you serious?  I'm waiting to hear this...

Molinaro, Larson are far from my favourites but still infinitely times better as they have followed the game for reasons other than simply being paid.  Cathal Kelly just started writing soccer when TFC joined the league, you should have read his articles in 06-07. 

@MLSTransfers Seems TFC tried to trade Gilberto to Montreal, but he rejected it because he wants to sign with Vasco

Source: http://www.netvasco.com.br/n/158370/gilberto-recebeu-proposta-do-montreal-can-mas-recusou-atacante-quer-ficar-no-vasco

If that's true thats too bad. I think he would do well in Montreal. He definetly proved he was a hard worker. I don't know if he deserves to be a DP, but I'm sure they could work out an agreement. And Montreal looks like a great city to live in.

That is too bad. You just KNOW he would have killed TFC playing for Impact. It's like Laba, why do they keep making the same mistake over and over again?

Word is that MLS doesn't want TFC to loan  Gilberto overseas.  MLS wants to keep Gilberto in the league so TFC are pretty much "force" to give up Gilberto to another team.  

What's the big deal about loaning him out. They loaned out Freddy Montero. He was a DP.

I think MLS FO don't want TFC to have 4 DP's on their books.  

That being said, I think TFC is trying to sell Gilberto.  I don't think they want to keep Gilberto at all.  

Word is that MLS doesn't want TFC to loan  Gilberto overseas.  MLS wants to keep Gilberto in the league so TFC are pretty much "force" to give up Gilberto to another team.  

Well yeah that can be the case but it's not the first time they get 4 DP's on their roster. Gilberto is alright man, he's gonna bag a ton of goals his second year in MLS. 

Lots of outrage on Twitter today over TFC bringing in a mascot. I think some folks may need to step away from the stands for a bit...

This. I don't think that a mascot will change anything in Supporters' Sections. I'm sure that they will put it in family sections. I've never seen the Impact mascot from up close. I've seen pictures that it exists, but it is placed in sections where the mascot is appreciated. I find it really funny how TFC fans are using their Day One crap saying oh we were there at a bar when NY killed us 6-0. The Rollins article had so much oh we're better than the people who go to BMO with their family for one trip. Has Duane ever talked about those people in his articles?  No, he doesn't care about them. He cares about his buddies in U-Sector and RPB.

Archived