2014-15 TFC Offseason

Barthez-Battalion

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovitz has more assists for Toronto in his brief career than Kyle 'too technical for MLS' Bekker. For his first year as a pro he made a nice contribution to the team, will improve, and is a great depth winger. Bloom was rated the second-best overall TFC player by whoscored.com. That ranking is too high but Bloom is already a legitimate starter and just entering his prime. Even on triple his salary he's still good value for a fullback you would expect to challenge for a starting spot.

Toronto should be using the non-Chivas picks for trade bait, they look a good betto sign Jay Chapman and they have enough homegrown players who should be on the fringes of the first team that they don't need to deal with a big haul of NCAA players this year. They should even think about packaging up all the picks to move up and ensure they grab Larin (if they rate him). It would be a smart move for one of the expansion teams to grab more picks to build some squad depth, so Toronto should be able to get this done.

Lovitz has more assists for Toronto in his brief career than Kyle 'too technical for MLS' Bekker. For his first year as a pro he made a nice contribution to the team, will improve, and is a great depth winger.

Bloom was rated the second-best overall TFC player by whoscored.com. That ranking is too high but Bloom is already a legitimate starter and just entering his prime. Even on triple his salary he's still good value for a fullback you would expect to challenge for a starting spot.

Toronto should be using the non-Chivas picks for trade bait, they look a good bet to sign Jay Chapman.

Lovitz isn't a bad player, but entirely replaceable. If it was a half allocation then that's 125K, enough money to make DeRo's 173K cap saving into 298K to sign a really good CB.

Bloom made 48K last year, if you tripled his salary he'd be making 144K and would be one of the top paid FB's in the league. I don't think you'll find anyone who considers Bloom one of the top FB's in MLS. As a comparison, Justin Morrow makes 169K and Bloom isn't anywhere near him in ability.

Don't count on Jay Chapman signing with us. He has a UK passport and will likely be able to sign with a team over there.

TFC picks striker Robbie Findley in the re-entry draft. Seems a bit of a risky move for a player coming off a bad season whose scoring stats have been pretty modest both in MLS and in England even in a good (for him) year. He only really has had one strong season in his career in 2009. Earned $245 000 last year so not exactly cheap and TFC has to take over his option.    

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/12/12/former-sporting-kansas-city-goalkeepers-eric-kronberg-andy-gruenebaum-taken-

Bright Dike is also re-signed in what to me is another very strange move. He hasn't looked too bad when he has played but he has mostly been injured since he has been in Toronto. Seems like TFC is loading up on strikers with question marks.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/12/12/toronto-fc-re-sign-nigerian-international-striker-bright-dike

And that has been the knock on Dike and justifiably so. He seems to always be on the injured list. The only strategy for TFC that I can make sense of is they are hoping that at least one of their forwards is not injured or in a slump. Gilberto, Findley, Dike, Oduro? Scoring by committee? None are terribly expensive but none are really productive either. With the increase in salary cap next year it might be okay. 

Unless they are saving the higher paying spots for some first rate CBs and a DM. Then this would make a bit more sense. I guess we'll see what other signings they come up with.

Findley for 245K!? What a waste of cap space. If we get stuck with Hagglund as starting CB because of stupid moves like this i will lose it.

There was a post a few days before the draft on one of the American MLS team forums which needs a secondary striker, "Maybe we should pick Findley in the second round of the re-entry draft and renegotiate his contract because no team will pick him in the 1st round at 245k". TFC has such a history of signing or trading for players like this, guys that could possibly be good but are very risky and it never seems to work out for them. One day one expects that one of these guys will finally turn out good or TFC will learn to stop making the same mistake. I wonder what will occur first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1 goal in 2000+ minutes at Sunderland? Seems like the type of striker they would bring in to replace Defoe.

Depending on how well he performs in the U-20 qualification, maybe now is the time to increase Hamilton's role? I mentioned it in the Haiti game, but I have never seen a Canadian with the finishing touch of Hamilton (albeit, with not a lot of years of intensely watching the national team or the youth teams). 

They should just go all out and pay Lyon 30 million for Lacazette... No but im actually all for keeping Gilberto and signing Giovinco as a deeper striker, not sure Altidore is actually that special, certainly DP worthy, but I think less of a difference maker than other options.

A Feb. 1st roster with a few draft picks and Robbie Findley as the only off-season additions and Defoe sold on the cheap would not surprise me in the slightest.

That's better than any other Feb. 1st roster in TFC's history.  I'd much prefer that than the usual 85% turnover and only 15 players actually on the roster.

Archived