2014-15 TFC Offseason

Barthez-Battalion

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Jamaican youth international will be joining TFC academy in January.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/11/26/7280241/martin-davis-to-join-toronto-fc-system-in-january

Apparently one of the reasons is he counts as a domestic player because his dad is Canadian.

If he switches to play for Canada then this is awesome. If not, and the American management group has abandoned the "play for Canada" rules at TFCA then this cheapens the club. I'm waiting to hear what happens with Alex Pena as well...

EDIT:  For this kid to play for TFC USL Pro side as a domestic he would need to file his one-time switch to Canada which would cap-tie him to us.  CSA doesn't recognize Canadian passports as domestic, they recognize CMNT eligible players in the pool.  So we may have just added a talented youth to our pool without him even playing a match... happy days!

EDIT:  For this kid to play for TFC USL Pro side as a domestic he would need to file his one-time switch to Canada which would cap-tie him to us.  CSA doesn't recognize Canadian passports as domestic, they recognize CMNT eligible players in the pool.  So we may have just added a talented youth to our pool without him even playing a match... happy days!

this kid can fill in one of 'international' spots for USL pro. he doesn't have to file a one time switch to play for TFC USL 

This makes me believe Davis himself is Canadian, not just his father. Either way, that's good stuff, if I understand his eligibility for a one time switch correctly! TFC loves Canada  :cool:

Davis's father happens to be Canadian so the young midfielder has a Canadian passport to go along with his Jamaican citizenship

You never know.  If he has a Canadian passport and a father that is Canadian and he starts to play for Canada and is eligible for Canada then there's a good chance he starts to feel Canadian enough to switch. 

Don't forget about Canadian players he will be playing with might be able to convince him to make the switch.  It seems like this kid is pretty close or at least have a lot of respect for Jordan Hamilton.  

However, this kid could also be a bust (struggling to find a club to develop based on his history) who might not even be good enough to make the jump both first team and national team.   

What about Sampson? He was never in the residency program. He spent a year in the PDL before being signed to the first team as cover for Steve Beitashour. If he plays for the USL Pro side he will be one of the foreign content as he is from South Africa and has only been in Canada for 2 years. Until he gets his permanent resident status he is foreign content. The "homegrown" tag is an MLS thing that means he has been with the club for 2 years in their development (PDL/Reserves in his case). 

Another couple of years and see if he switches to us or stays with SA. He was at a South African U20 camp in 2011 but nothing since. 

Like goddamn clockwork...

Seriously. I ask a legit question "what about him" and that is your reply? In the hope that another thread can avoid being derailed I've moved the rest of my response to this thread 

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.php?/topic/25476-responsibilities-of-canadian-pro-teams/?hl=responsibility#entry461043

Perhaps you'd like to join the discussion there. It is quite interesting and now we have yet another level. 

I don't know what the ranting is about. The kid is being signed to TFC Academy, not the USL Pro side. The club has stated in the past that only Canadian kids will be signed to our Academy and it is my hope and likely that of others that this policy continues. With a population of well over 5M to draw from in the GTA and the majority of the top talent in this country being produced in the area there is no excuse to look elsewhere.

He was born October 11, 1996. That makes him 18 currently (and when he joins TFC in January). I think the article might be wrong on where he is going in the TFC organization "he will now join the academy on a full time basis starting in January".

Don't academy kids graduate to U23 (PDL, NCAA/CIS,  USL-Pro) at 18? I don't see any 1995s on the current roster so would 1996s be allowed on the 2015 team? 

"Now the midfielder is set to join Toronto FC having been invited to begin training with the senior team starting on January 12th". Both this and the previous statement in the same article? Training with the senior team (MLS?) but joining the academy as an 18 year old. Do TFC call their U23 program an academy? 

They took a look at him over the summer with the other academy kids but he wasn't part of it. Anyway nice catch. He looks like he's already got some air miles with his last few years in Spain. 

I don't know what the ranting is about. The kid is being signed to TFC Academy, not the USL Pro side. The club has stated in the past that only Canadian kids will be signed to our Academy and it is my hope and likely that of others that this policy continues. With a population of well over 5M to draw from in the GTA and the majority of the top talent in this country being produced in the area there is no excuse to look elsewhere.

That's not actually true. TFC has stated that they will try to influence Canadian kids with other international options to represent Canada, but they've never had a Canada-only policy.

A couple of years back TFC Academy had a kid from South America (IIRC he was Chilean) in the program. He had zero ties to Canada.

I don't have any problem with the signing of this kid. If he would have been acquired through the super draft, nobody would be saying a thing. If he is a good player, good on TFC. To be consistent with what I have said in other threads, if a Canadian kid wants that spot, he better earn it.

The goal of an academy should always been to develop local talent, but I have no problem with 2-3 exceptional internationals being brought in to help raise the level.

That's not actually true. TFC has stated that they will try to influence Canadian kids with other international options to represent Canada, but they've never had a Canada-only policy.

A couple of years back TFC Academy had a kid from South America (IIRC he was Chilean) in the program. He had zero ties to Canada.

That kid played back in 2008-09 before TFC went to an all Canadian setup. He was also an immigrant from Chile who had moved to Canada with his family prior to joining TFCA so he didn't come here to play soccer.

I'm with jpg75 on this. I'd like to see our Academies held to a higher standard. Once we start degrading that we make it even harder to see Canadians make the first team, which should be the goal.

Anyways, to get this back on topic a little, there was a rumour out last week that TFC was trying to pry Garth Lagerwey from RSL. That would be an excellent hire for TFC. I don't think Bezbetchenko deserves all the power and responsibility he has right now.

Archived