2014-15 TFC Offseason

Barthez-Battalion

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's better than any other Feb. 1st roster in TFC's history.  I'd much prefer that than the usual 85% turnover and only 15 players actually on the roster.

El Hombre how much better does a Feb 1 TFC roster need to be to make the playoffs ?

To say that the roster is better is fine, but is it good enough to win and make the playoffs ?

When you compare a series of eight years Feb 1 rosters that led to no playoff appearances being better is pretty easy.

PS ( good to see you still have lots of Kook Aid to sip on during the winter )

Regarding Altidore, if he can re-capture his form of a few years ago with AZ, where he scored 39 goals in 67 (mostly) Eredivisie matches, he could be a very effective player, as the Dutch top tier is a better comp for the level of the MLS, especially the level of defending, than the Premier League (The top third of Eredivisie teams are quite a bit better than most MLS sides, IMO, while the bottom two thirds the same to somewhat worse).

The question, ultimately, is whether Altidore was simply unable to adjust to a new situation over the last two seasons, or if he has undergone a serious decline in ability.  If the former, there is a good chance he could be a productive striker for TFC, at least to the extent that he replaces Defoe's goals from last year.

To the poster who suggests that Sunderland's demand of Defoe + 3 mil pounds equates to a valuation for Altidore of $13M, you make the assumption that Defoe's current value is anywhere near what Toronto paid for him, which is unlikely. I'd be surprised if Toronto recovers more than half of the original transfer fee.

Toronto

Regarding Altidore, if he can re-capture his form of a few years ago with AZ, where he scored 39 goals in 67 (mostly) Eredivisie matches, he could be a very effective player, as the Dutch top tier is a better comp for the level of the MLS, especially the level of defending, than the Premier League (The top third of Eredivisie teams are quite a bit better than most MLS sides, IMO, while the bottom two thirds the same to somewhat worse).

The question, ultimately, is whether Altidore was simply unable to adjust to a new situation over the last two seasons, or if he has undergone a serious decline in ability.  If the former, there is a good chance he could be a productive striker for TFC, at least to the extent that he replaces Defoe's goals from last year.

To the poster who suggests that Sunderland's demand of Defoe + 3 mil pounds equates to a valuation for Altidore of $13M, you make the assumption that Defoe's current value is anywhere near what Toronto paid for him, which is unlikely. I'd be surprised if Toronto recovers more than half of the original transfer fee.

Toronto was already offered the value they paid for him in August and it is the same value they are seeking today.  In fact Toronto is actually seeking a higher value than what they paid. Not saying it is right or wrong I'm just saying that by Sunderland offering TFC that deal they are essentially saying Altidore is worth 13 million as TFC has already decided Defoe is worth 10-11 million to them.

El Hombre how much better does a Feb 1 TFC roster need to be to make the playoffs ?

To say that the roster is better is fine, but is it good enough to win and make the playoffs ?

When you compare a series of eight years Feb 1 rosters that led to no playoff appearances being better is pretty easy.

PS ( good to see you still have lots of Kook Aid to sip on during the winter )

HA HA HA! You're the best!  Don't ever change!  Seriously!

Nothing surprises anyone with TFC anymore but isn't it strange that the outgoing Leiweke who did not have any success in Toronto (other than bringing in big names that did not play well or were injured half the season) is in charge of this? Not that I am a big believer in Bezbatchenko but it seems like a bad idea to let the outgoing and not overly successful guy deal with this. I also think the type of money being discussed about Giovinco is ridiculous assuming Wheeler is correct in his figures. This is far from a Serie A star, he is a player who has had one good Serie A season, a couple of mediocre seasons and some bad seasons. Possibly he would come to MLS and would excel at the lower level of play but that is a pretty risky move and he is far from an Italian star. If Wheeler is correct in his assertion that: "None seem ready or willing to offer the kind of money Toronto FC is said to have on the table." why does TFC not take that as a sign of his valuation from other clubs who seem a lot more capable of evaluating players? Seems like business as usual at TFC. Kook-Aid anyone? :)

Anyone else getting tired of being mocked by fans of the worst team in the league?  Seriously, have a good look at that roster of yours.  Are you really feeling good about this year?

Actually I am feeling pretty good about our roster, we have made a number of solid but not headline making moves. We still need one more starting CB and one or two more strikers (one starting level, one depth) but from what I hear that is coming. Our team is much improved already over last year especially compared to the team we started last season with. And while I am not happy NDS, the architect of last year's disaster is still hanging around, at least he does not seem to be the boss or the one making personnel decisions anymore. I am also looking forward to an exciting Champions League tie.

If you didn't notice TFC did not make the playoffs last year either and now seems to be set on building the team by making headline signings which did not work last year and probably will not work this year either. Last year you spent 100 million on 2 players one of whom completely underperformed and the other who was alright but was injured half the season and did not want to be playing for TFC and will probably be gone before season starts. Great way to build a team. And for $100 million you only had 13 points more than we did and were still 8 points out of a playoff spot. We were the worst team last year but I will take a team that makes the playoffs once in 3 years over one that has never made the playoffs in 8 years of existence.

I don't claim to be a genius and one does not have to be a genius to see what TFC is doing wrong and others here have also posted criticisms and predictions that came true. However, every year I post an analysis of what TFC is doing and a bunch of guys drunk on KA start saying don't believe him, he hates TFC (which is true but I am still capable of doing an objective analysis). Last year around this time while the KA Krew was posting that TFC was not only going to make the playoffs but were going to be a "superclub" I was questioning whether the moves for these players was the right way to build a team. 8 years of "I told you so" are making it into an annual tradition.  And for the record last year I also predicted that the Impact were going to be a very bad team and not make the playoffs. I will save my predictions until the final rosters are set but the Impact look to be much improved and I have seen little sign of improvement at TFC. Maybe some moves are coming but if Wheeler is correct in his information they do not seem to be the right ones.

I don't like that TFC choose to overspend on players. I don't like how the coaching choices have been poor and the player selections even worse. I don't like the general off field dysfunction at the club and how it is run, and above all, I don't like the playoff drought.

But..

I like the ambition the club has. I like that the club is aiming to become an MLS superclub and not just an afterthought. I like how the fans have been loyal and stuck by the team regardless of the mismanagement off the field and the poor product on it. I love the number of consecutive Canadian championships, which has giften several young Canadians the chance to play in CONCACAF. I like how many Canadians have recieved first team football at the club. I love how the club set the standard for supporters culture back in 2007.

I am glad you are feeling good about your chances Grizzly.  I actually think your team sucks, but hope they do well for Canada's sake.  You have arguably the worst goalkeeping and defenders in the league (I hold out hope for Crepeau and Tissot) and have lost the only reason you made the playoffs two years ago (retired).  Just my opinion of course.

Now, unlike you and that troll, I also realize that as a TFC fan, I have absolutely nothing to be proud of, and only cling to a faint bit of hope that we may make the playoffs with decent goalkeeping, okay midfield and good (if healthy) strikers.  But we aren't going anywhere unless we can patch up our hideously porous defence.

So we both live in glass houses, but I am not the one throwing stones.  

To Grizzly's credit, Montreal have made some decent moves in the off season and look much improved, so he is spot on for that. Although the Impact roster is still much further behind both Toronto FC and Vancouver (especially), I am glad the much needed upgrades are on the way. Nowhere to go but up for them.

They were truly full value for their record last season, but on the bright side this equated to opportunities for Ouimette, Tissot and co, which I am happy and thankful for. 

Extending Bloom to a reasonable 3 year deal is a good investment.  He's been a solid player for us.

We all knew that Defoe was going to be sold off.  It's a big gamble that Altidore is going to return to form for us.  If he pans out and plays like it's 2013 then we're going to be a great team.  If he plays like this year than we will not be a good team.  Big risk.

Altidore has to pass through allocation to become TFC property.  Who knows how that may turn out.  Larsen reporting TFC got 11 million & Altidore for Defoe.

Now there's reports that Altidore doesn't have to go through allocation which make sense since he was traded to Toronto plus $11 million for Defoe.     

My7tFRRw_normal.png Kevin Kinkead @KevinKCBS3 · 5m 5 minutes ago 

Just to reiterate, I'm told Jozy Altidore will NOT be subject to the allocation process, same way Bradley and Dempsey rejoined the league

My7tFRRw_normal.png Kevin Kinkead @KevinKCBS3 · 5m 5 minutes ago 

And I think whatever team goes in for Kljestan, be it NY, or LA, or even Philly, they likely WILL have to go through allocation to get him.

My7tFRRw_normal.png Kevin Kinkead @KevinKCBS3 · 4m 4 minutes ago 

So we can pretty safely say the mystery "threshold" is set around $2.5m for returning U.S. international players

A lot of people on twitter are really reacting poorly to the Defoe/Altidore deal. Hammering Altidore for his poor form at Sunderland, but I think they just look at his stats and come to the conclusion he's a bad player without realizing that aside from Stephen Fletcher, nobody scores at Sunderland. Sunderland have scored 18 times in 21 EPL games this year and one of those goals was a ball Harry Kane put into his own net when Tottenham played them. I don't think Altidore will come in and destroy MLS at all, but I think he will be good, probably around 15 goals the first year. 

Also, if the money coming along with Altidore is true, TFC absolutely killed this deal! I expected this to go down completely different (and a lot worse). I wouldve been happy to just sell him for like half value and get the third DP spot back, but this is great.

Getting $11 million AND a North American name brand striker (who counts as a domestic for that matter) for someone that didn't even want to be here?  Stellar deal, actually.  I have to give the brass kudos for that, actually, IF that report is true.  

Whether Altidore tears it up, he DOES sell tickets as a player most soccer fans in North America have heard of.  

Archived