Concacaf u20 championship

Alex

Chris Mannella is a 94 I believe so he won't be eligible. 

The 93s-94s will still be eligible for the Pan Am games next summer and for the Olympic qualifiers in 2016 though.  

Yes, my bad with Mannella. Thought he was a 95.

Has Fraser Aird even committed to Canada?  I thought he decided to be Scottish.

He hasn't committed either way, so its worth adding him for the time being. Even without him the lineup seems to be much more experienced all around

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm inclined to agree with Soccerpro on the professional experience side of things.  I still remember Jose Villareal and a few other guys on the american team being dominant in those games.  They were all the players who had already logged serious MLS minutes and were competing at a level most of the other players weren't used to.  

Just like Iain Hume. He broke in with Tranmere and he was what, 16? 17? He had a few years of pro under his belt before he went and scored some stunners in the UAE.

So our U20 team would have played approximately 14,000 minutes for a pro team this cycle vs approximately 6,000 the last cycle.

That much more experience and depth of experience could really show. 

I think this presents quite a bit of hope for the CMNT in the future.  The domestic pro system that we have now combined with some leakage of top talent to Europe is really going to increase the depth of the player pool for future runs.  It's still a number of years off but we're really building some depth in our program; especially if you consider we're only getting some depth from Edmonton's system now and Ottawa hasn't come online yet.

We definitely should be hopeful for the future. Of course, we still don't have our own league, but we have 3 teams in a league that is obviously growing by leaps and bounds every year. NASL is probably on par with the Central American leagues, and we might get a few more teams in there (meaning even more professional academies - eventually). In comparison to our competitors, we are actually not in that bad of a position. 

Here's to hoping we become a top team in CONCACAF by the time the 2022 cycle starts! I think that is a realistic goal.

By 2020, MLS could seriously be the best league from top to bottom in the Western Hemisphere. Having 3 clubs in that league and having domestic status players could really pay some dividends. Then, having 2 to 4 teams at the NASL level with academies pumping out players. Meanwhile the other leagues in CONCACAF (save for mexico) will likely always be what they are now. 1-3 teams in each that are respectable, and that is it. Even those teams seem to give MLS clubs less and less trouble in CCL as the years pass.

Counting mls reserve league minutes as pro minutes is misleading in my opinion. They're glorified exhibition games.

Could be for the older players, but I imagine any U20s playing in them take them seriously. Plus its at about the same level as USL Pro which they will be playing next year with their new teams

By 2020, MLS could seriously be the best league from top to bottom in the Western Hemisphere.

Exactly how much have you had to drink today?

Do you realise what the Western Hemisphere encompasses? By it's broadest definition, it includes the Americas and almost all of Western Europe. Nobody is seriously going to argue that MLS is 6 years away from overtaking the Premier League, La Liga, or Bundesliga, nevermind Serie A, Ligue 1, or any of a half dozen other European leagues, in overall quality.

Even if you narrow the definition of Western Hemisphere to only include the Americas, it's the longest of shots to believe that MLS will become a stronger league than those in Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina within the next half-decade.

Do you realise what the Western Hemisphere encompasses? By it's broadest definition, it includes the Americas and almost all of Western Europe. Nobody is seriously going to argue that MLS is 6 years away from overtaking the Premier League, La Liga, or Bundesliga, nevermind Serie A, Ligue 1, or any of a half dozen other European leagues, in overall quality.

Even if you narrow the definition of Western Hemisphere to only include the Americas, it's the longest of shots to believe that MLS will become a stronger league than those in Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina within the next half-decade.

But but but if you read MLS propaganda they said it would be!!

Also DeAndre Yedlin is the best under 24 player in the western hemisphere

The answer is..... A lot.

Seriously though, I ought to have known better since I pride myself on Geography. Yes you are right. What I meant to say was "the Americas". In 6 years it is not unreasonable to think that the MLS could actually be seriously rivaling clubs in Argentina, Brazil or Mexico. Do I think MLS will surpass those leagues? No. But I think at that time we might be seriously discussing whether or not MLS is a better league than those from the top down. 

But but but if you read MLS propaganda they said it would be!!

Also DeAndre Yedlin is the best under 24 player in the western hemisphere

Yedlin is grossly overrated. I saw him play live in Philadelphia against the Union last year. Good player, great pace, attacking minded, but I find it hard to believe.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he wouldn't even be in the top half of that list if he wasn't American. I also think he will be a bust at Tottenham. Not a "Brek Shea" level bust, but I really believe he will get loaned out to a Championship club and pay his dues there before coming back to the EPL as a serious starter. 

I think most Americans have been deluded into imagining him walk into the starting 11 at Spurs - just because he had a good tournament at the WC.

• 1 month later...

That draw will make or break us. Despite the talent we have, if we have to face Mexico or the US to get to the semis it will be very difficult.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship

The format is different than previous years.  We will be in a group with Mexico or the USA and need to finish top 2 out of 6 teams to qualify for the World Cup/semis.

So the way I look at it is we have to be top 2 in a group amongst USA/Mexico, Costa Rica/Honduras, TnT/Jamaica, Panama/Guatemala.. regardless of the draw we'll have a tough challenge.  But I think with our talent and depth we should be challenging for 1st in whichever group we're in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship

The format is different than previous years.  We will be in a group with Mexico or the USA and need to finish top 2 out of 6 teams to qualify for the World Cup/semis.

Second or third gets you a do or die match. Win the group and you're in the World Cup and play the final. There are no "semis" really

Second or third gets you a do or die match. Win the group and you're in the World Cup and play the final. There are no "semis" really

Yes, you're right and I was also wrong because Costa Rica didn't qualify for this tournament which is great news. 

That draw will make or break us. Despite the talent we have, if we have to face Mexico or the US to get to the semis it will be very difficult.

Actually, check out the draw process... They start with Jamaica and all the Caribbean teams alternating group A and B, then the Central American teams, then the NA teams. If we draw second in NA (group A with Jamaica) we avoid both the USA and Mexico. If the stars align, we could end up something like this:

Group A: Jamaica, Aruba, Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Canada

Group B: Haiti, T&T, Panama, Honduras, USA, Mexico

That would give us our best chance at actually topping a group, but if we fell short we'd have a wicked repechage have to fight through.

I don't think it's too bad.  We avoid the home Jamaicans.  In tough against Mexico but the rest a very beatable, I think.

Our hardest two winnable games (Cuba and Honduras) are on the last two days, so hopefully by then there's some chemistry and also no suspensions.

Archived