Concacaf u20 championship

Alex

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought, Larin might not be eligible.  I read somewhere that he wasn't eligible for the U20 of the year award.  Maybe he can't play in the Tournament.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/nominees-announced-for-2014-canada-soccer-player-awards-p157225

He is eligible. He's a 95. Nothing more to it. the CSA aren't fans of their players going through college.

It seems like Larin has the attitude that he is automatically on the U20s and that is wrong.  The fact of the matter is that Larin is a college player who has played for the CMNT and has missed crucial U20 prep camps.  If he felt "pressure" and he was an average joe who had to make the team he wouldn't have been staying with UConn but clearly he thinks he's an exception to the rule.... WRONG.

This is the most talented U20 team in years.  I could see how it would send the wrong message for Larin to just walk onto the team for qualifying meanwhile all these young guys who are on equal footing with him (and have PRO experience) have been showing up and busting their balls while getting results.. and one of them will lose his job to Larin who has prioritized UConn?  No different than if a player did the same to the CMNT.  

It would be pretty hypocritical for us to jump all over Bustos but let Larin walk onto and start for the team. 

No one is mentioning that Fraser Aird also wasn't included in U20 player of the year voting even though he is eligible having been on the team with Larin in May.

What basis do you have for saying Larin has that kind of attitude? First you say it "seems" then you say "clearly." Theres a big difference between assuming something and knowing 100%. Those words aren't interchangable.  What makes you say "CLEARLY he thinks he is the exception" Unless there are hard quotes then nothing is clear about his attitude.

Its not beneficial to anyone to throw out accustations calling someone's attitude into question. Especially at such a young age.

Canada doesn't have that kind of leverage with players. If we tell Larin and Aird to take a hike. They may just do that and play for another country. And we know how well that goes for us.

Comparing Bustos to Larin is apples to oranges. One went to another countrys youth camp and one stayed with his college team. No comparison IMO. I was pissed at Bustos but now it seems he is committed and I am on his side unless he jumps ship.

I'm just looking at some nominees.

Wirth (Isn't there another Vancouver-based goalie)

Béland-Goyette (But a guy who's on the same team with multiple caps for the senior team is not on it?)

I'll be honest. I don't buy it, especially coming from Duane Rollins. I think that it has more to do to what is done at camps. I'm sure if I look at all players nominated, you'll get players who've been at all camps. Here are the players who have gone to all 3 camps this year.

GK Wirth

D Comsia

M Béland-Goyette

M Boakai

M Froese

M Carreiro

Could it be that  Larin didn't have a great camp in May? Perhaps.

I'm looking at the players  nomiated who have gone at less than 3 camps. They are Petrasso, Gasparotto and Aparicio. All of them have gone to two camps, and the first two are at a higher point in their career than Larin, right now. I expect Larin to be in the last camp to fight for his spot on that team.

What basis do you have for saying Larin has that kind of attitude? First you say it "seems" then you say "clearly." Theres a big difference between assuming something and knowing 100%. Those words aren't interchangable.  What makes you say "CLEARLY he thinks he is the exception" Unless there are hard quotes then nothing is clear about his attitude.

Its not beneficial to anyone to throw out accustations calling someone's attitude into question. Especially at such a young age.

Canada doesn't have that kind of leverage with players. If we tell Larin and Aird to take a hike. They may just do that and play for another country. And we know how well that goes for us.

Comparing Bustos to Larin is apples to oranges. One went to another countrys youth camp and one stayed with his college team. No comparison IMO. I was pissed at Bustos but now it seems he is committed and I am on his side unless he jumps ship.

Actions.  Simply put.

If a player was under pressure they show up to make a team.  If they feel they are unique and different they don't.

Why else would Larin not show up? All his previous youth pedigree or the fact that MLSsoccer.com wrote a few articles?

There is nothing to show me that Larin is better than Hamilton, Petrasso, Boakai or Huitema... why should he be able to walk on ahead of those kids?

• 1 month later...

Would Bustos be tied in that case?

Wasn't he provisionally tied already through the U17 WC? Also not def cap-tied anyhow since his parents are both from other countries. He is automatically eligible for both Chile and Italy until he's in a senior competitive match.

Also on another note, he always seems to act like he doesn't enjoy thee call ups on Twitter. It is always "Oh no, can't stay home" whenever he's called up.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=78d3589fb61466b549ff752e5&id=c84d001a86&e=0ab14c42c9 Roster. Thanks to Jonathan Tannenwald for this.

GK: Marco Carducci (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Nolan Wirth (Oregon State University/USA)

DF: Sam Adekugbe (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Alexander Comsia (RC Strasbourg/FRA), Luca Gasparotto (Rangers FC/SCO), Jordan Haynes (Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy/CAN), Brandon John (FC Erzgebirge Aue/GER), Rares Serban (University of British Columbia/CAN)

MF: Manny Aparicio (Toronto FC/CAN), Louis Beland-Goyette (Impact de Montréal FC/CAN), Marco Bustos (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Dylan Carreiro (Arbroath FC/SCO), Kianz Froese (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé (Impact de Montréal FC/CAN), Chris Nanco (Syracuse University/USA), Michael Petrasso (Queens Park Rangers/ENG)

FW: Hanson Boakai (FC EDMONTON/CAN), Calum Ferguson (Inverness Caledonian Thistle/SCO), Jordan Hamilton (Toronto FC/CAN), Cyle Larin (Unattached)

Here are our players.

CANADA
GK: Marco Carducci (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Nolan Wirth (Oregon State University/USA)

DF: Sam Adekugbe (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Alexander Comsia (RC Strasbourg/FRA), Luca Gasparotto (Rangers FC/SCO), Jordan Haynes (Vancouver Whitecaps FC Academy/CAN), Brandon John (FC Erzgebirge Aue/GER), Rares Serban (University of British Columbia/CAN)

MF: Manny Aparicio (Toronto FC/CAN), Louis Beland-Goyette (Impact de Montréal FC/CAN), Marco Bustos (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Dylan Carreiro (Arbroath FC/SCO), Kianz Froese (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN), Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé (Impact de Montréal FC/CAN), Chris Nanco (Syracuse University/USA), Michael Petrasso (Queens Park Rangers/ENG)

FW: Hanson Boakai (FC EDMONTON/CAN), Calum Ferguson (Inverness Caledonian Thistle/SCO), Jordan Hamilton (Toronto FC/CAN), Cyle Larin (Unattached)

Not a lot of surprises there IMO, although I don't know much about John, Nanco or Ferguson.

Glad to see Boakai on that list as it means he's hopefully over his injury. A little disappointed Sadi Jalali is not there as I was under the impression he was quite impressive at the Milk Cup (albeit that is second hand opinion from Miller)

Not a lot of surprises there IMO, although I don't know much about John, Nanco or Ferguson.

Glad to see Boakai on that list as it means he's hopefully over his injury. A little disappointed Sadi Jalali is not there as I was under the impression he was quite impressive at the Milk Cup (albeit that is second hand opinion from Miller)

Surpised Jalali isn't there. Was a part of every camp I think leading up to this.

Archived