Tesho Akindele

Here's an article on August 21 wrote by Sam on this forum. Negatives were there. If you're telling me that those negatives weren't there before, people, you're just living in DreamLand.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2014/BythenumbersTeshoAkindele.aspx

I wouldn't close the door on any player. Tennis Canada welcomed back Jesse Levine after he represented the US. (Sure he didn't play any Davis Cup matches because of injuries and poor results, but we've got exemple like that)

Although, if any player would choose to choose/ come back to the national team, and I'm not naming any name, his commitment would need to be shown at training camps to show that he wants to be there to help the program.

Aside from Grizzly, I don't see a lot of people saying that we shouldn't call Cavallini because he turns down call-ups just because he's captied, but because one other declines a call-up and isn't captied means that we shouldn drop him for life. Is he worse than Cavallini? I don't think so. I don't think he's a saint, but did we say the same thing when Marcel de Jong took his time and waited until his 21st birthday to play for Canada at the senior level? No.

I believe that a lot of the problem is because we have never seen a guy switch countries to us that has had a senior career for us. The only  names I can recall on the men's side that have switched to us are Kianz Froese-Gonzalez, Skyler Thomas and Ondaine Demar. I didn't see people badmouthing Froese because he played for Cuba at 15.

If he comes crawling back, I wouldn't shut the door, but I wouldn't call him because he wants in. I would call him only if he's good enough for us if/when that comes.

Aside from Grizzly, I don't see a lot of people saying that we shouldn't call Cavallini because he turns down call-ups just because he's captied, but because one other declines a call-up and isn't captied means that we shouldn drop him for life. Is he worse than Cavallini? I don't think so. I don't think he's a saint, but did we say the same thing when Marcel de Jong took his time and waited until his 21st birthday to play for Canada at the senior level? No.

I have never said that. What I am saying is that Cavallini so far has not accomplished much in his professional career even though he seems to be the new Canadian soccer Jesus at times around here. Players need to commit and especially players who are playing in a low level league with very poor defending. A player like that can not expect to skip all the preparation games and then just walk on to the team for the Gold Cup or WCQ. A team has to be careful about accepting players whatever the level who are not fully committed but we certainly can't be catering to unproven young players with not very impressive CVs. If Cavallini were to transfer to River Plate (the Argentine one not the Uruguayan one) and score a lot of goals then one might give him a bit more slack (within reason) but young non-established players need to show commitment to the team if they are going to get call ups. Radzinski was a player who turned down a lot of selections for us who we eventually started selecting again. He will always be an asterisk player for me like anyone that refused call ups but when he finally committed to us he showed a lot of passion for the national team and played well and I had no problem with him being called up.

As for Akindele I don't know why people are upset. He is more American than Canadian and developed his soccer there. Yes he attended one youth camp for us and played one friendly game but he never committed to us or took up a spot that another player could have had for any length of time like Bunbury did. If he commits to us he is really just a bonus player not someone we should expect to play for us as a first choice. He may or may not turn out to be the level of striker we need on the national team, it is too early and very speculative to say how he will develop. 

Can't blame Akindele for wanting to play for the States, where he grew up.  I take issue with him only if he led Floro to believe he would show up for the Panama match when turning down previous Canada invites.  If that did happen he should just have been honest as said he was hoping for a USMNT call-up.  Regardless, his intentions are clear and we don't want him for Canada even if he remains eligible.

The problem is not losing Tesho Akindele.  It remains that we don't have a lot of other good options at striker.

I'd say he is worse than Cavallani. At least Cavalanni isn't playing for another national team. Whether it be the US, Italy, or Canada, he wouldn't be showing up because of his baby or whatever commitments.

On the other hand Tesho isn't showing up stricly because he doesn't want to play for Canada, not national football in general.

Well I guess my rant about Dallas fielding more Canadians than the Whitecaps is all for naught!

If Akindele does choose the US over Canada, so be it. Let's forget about him, and focus our attention on Cyle Larin in the meantime. Assuming Larin goes to Orlando at #1, I think he will have a great opportunity to flourish.

I agree with this.  Last night I was pissed.  Held myself back from lashing out on twitter.  Today, I'm pumped and glad/proud we do have Canadians (whatever their skill level) that wear our kits proudly.  Going forward, as was always the case, I put my focus on those players, encourage them with support, and keep my fingers crossed that we come out on top every time the final whistle is blown.  If you don't care for the Red and White, then you don't get my attention.

Larin has a high ceiling.  Let's hope he gets some playing time with our national team, continuing on with Panama.

I'd say he is worse than Cavallani. At least Cavalanni isn't playing for another national team. Whether it be the US, Italy, or Canada, he wouldn't be showing up because of his baby or whatever commitments.

On the other hand Tesho isn't showing up stricly because he doesn't want to play for Canada, not national football in general.

When has Akindele played for another national team? People were saying things similar about Cavallini after the Olympic qualifiers. I vividly remember Craig Forrest saying he's going to play for Argentina or Italy, won't he? And to say oh Cavallini hasn't shown up because of his baby. It's been 25 months that he hasn't accepted a call to the national team. But, oh he's fine becausehe could have retired from international football at the age of 19. Sure use the baby to get out of a call-up of two, but 25 months? It's okay kid. I like Cavallini, but the way people on here defend him, but criticize Akindele for doing essentially the same thing is mind-boggling. The only difference is that one can only play for us and the other one could play for 2 other countries, but both have chosen not to.

When has Akindele played for another national team? People were saying things similar about Cavallini after the Olympic qualifiers. I vividly remember Craig Forrest saying he's going to play for Argentina or Italy, won't he? And to say oh Cavallini hasn't shown up because of his baby. It's been 25 months that he hasn't accepted a call to the national team. But, oh he's fine becausehe could have retired from international football at the age of 19. Sure use the baby to get out of a call-up of two, but 25 months? It's okay kid. I like Cavallini, but the way people on here defend him, but criticize Akindele for doing essentially the same thing is mind-boggling. The only difference is that one can only play for us and the other one could play for 2 other countries, but both have chosen not to.

good sources have come out and said Akindele is holding out for the USA. Thats as good as playing for them because it looks like its going to happen and thats what Akindele wants.

Also Cavallani play for Italy or Argentina? If anyone was dumb enough to believe Forrest shame on you. He was never flirting with playing for thos teams and never had a shot. If anything he wanted Italian Citizenship so he is an EU member and its easier to play in Europe. He may still be pushing for his Italian citizenship.

If Cavallni is there during WCQ in june and Akindele is still trying to play ONE friendly with the states it will speak volumes. And thats the way I see the situation playing out in June.

Also Akindele play for USA? If anyone was dumb enough to believe his entourage, shame on you. He was  flirting with playing for that team and never had a shot.

If Cavallini is not there during WCQ in June and Akindele is playing WCQ for us at the same time, it will also speak volumes. So, you can argue the other weay and it's not as crazy as one would think.

Akindele playing for USA is similar to Bunbury playing for USA. Now you're just being ignorant.

If you think those above are comparable with Cavallani playing for Italy or Argentina theres no sense in having this discussion because you have no sense of logic.

And Akindele being there after he said he would join us in Panama only to change his mind at the last minute. Why do you think the CSA took that subtle shot at Akindele in their press release saying he turned down the call. Thanks but no Thanks if akindele wants to come play in June.

I'd love to take a bet that says Cavallani would never had played for Argentina or Italy and that Akindele would play for the USA.

How many time has italy called up a player on mid table uruguyan team how many time has Argentina done the same?

Now how many times has the USA called up a young MLS striker with 7 goals in the season. A lot more times than the above.

If you try really hard you can swing any example in your favor no matter how far fetched it is...

Edited by king1010

Akindele playing for USA is similar to Bunbury playing for USA. Now you're just being ignorant.

If you think those above are comparable with Cavallani playing for Italy or Argentina theres no sense in having this discussion because you have no sense of logic.

And Akindele being there after he said he would join us in Panama only to change his mind at the last minute. Why do you think the CSA took that subtle shot at Akindele in their press release saying he turned down the call. Thanks but no Thanks if akindele wants to come play in June.

I'd love to take a bet that says Cavallani would never had played for Argentina or Italy and that Akindele would play for the USA.

How many time has italy called up a player on mid table uruguyan team how many time has Argentina done the same?

Now how many times has the USA called up a young MLS striker with 7 goals in the season. A lot more times than the above.

If you try really hard you can swing any example in your favor no matter how far fetched it is...

Akindele is not very similar to Bunbury for a number of reasons.

Akindele's father is not one of the leading all-time scorers for Canada. Akindele did not attend multiple Canadian junior camps. Akindele never said that it would feel wrong the play for the US. Neither of Akindele's parents are Canadian (born at least) so he doesn't even have a parental tie to the country. He moved to the US when he was 8. When he attended the U17 camp for Canada he was 17, so he had spent 9 years living in the States. He now is 22, which means he has spent 14 years living in the states as opposed to 8 in Canada.

I don't like Canada being anyone's B option, but the kid is very clearly American.

At the time that he was saying that he was interested in playing for Canada, he wasn't on the US's radar. The hype about being Rookie of the Year all started afterwards. It would be very unfortunate if Klinnsman gets this kid's hopes up, cap ties him, then never calls him again, because he's probably delusional and has had people tell him he will go far, which he likely won't.

Also true for Bunbury.

Yeah I remembered Alex was from Guyana as I was typing. 

What I meant to say was that I am not sure if Tesho's parents are Canadian at all. For some reason I'm thinking his mom might be, but not certain if I read that or I am just making it up

Put me down as another meh, please.  Personally, I never had Akindele pegged as someone who was going to play for us, I'd all but written off the possibility months ago.  Could care less, not because I don't want to see more guys help Canada, I do, but because I think it's wasted energy chasing down players that aren't interested.

Let's start talking about the players who ARE interested, and how they can help the program.

Rudi Schuller @RudiSchuller

If Tesho accepted a #canMNT call-up then turned it down last-minute (which is what I'm hearing), then Cdn fans have every right to be angry.

Sources tell Goal USA that Akindele originally accepted Canada's call-up for the Panama friendly, but he recently backed out of the commitment and told Canadian officials he would be joining the U.S. team's upcoming camp in London

sounds like a stand up guy. true to his word.... not

good riddance. i hope he plays his 2 games this november with the US and never plays again

I do like Floros attitude towards it though...

The possibility of Akindele considering the U.S. isn’t a complete shock to the Canadian national team, with head coach Benito Floro telling Goal USA back in September that he would not pressure Akindele or any other dual national on their national team choice.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4176/united-states/2014/11/06/5897311/sources-tesho-akindele-snubs-canada-will-join-us-camp-for?CMPID=TWCAN_141106_Akindele

Edited by king1010

Yeah I remembered Alex was from Guyana as I was typing. 

What I meant to say was that I am not sure if Tesho's parents are Canadian at all. For some reason I'm thinking his mom might be, but not certain if I read that or I am just making it up

Akindele was born in Calgary to a Canadian mother and Nigerian father and lived in Canada — with stops in Toronto and Winnipeg — until he was eight. His father, a financial analyst who also has Canadian citizenship, moved the family to Colorado for work.

http://www.tsn.ca/whitecaps-teibert-back-with-canada-but-no-akindele-1.127025

Akindele just received his American Citizenship recently. 

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro  25m

@RudiSchuller I'm told that's exactly how it went down: He originally accepted the invite then changed his mind at last minute.

Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute  20m

@RudiSchuller @JohnMolinaro The CSA doesn't add the line about him refusing call up unless they are PISSED.

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves  40m

@24thminute Can’t really blame CMT being upset considering he actually accepted the call-up at first.

Edited by king1010

So far all intents and purposes, Aird will represent Canada.

Forgive me if I don't hold my breath ... it's not that I don't think Aird will represent us, but we've been burned so many times that I will now only believe someone will represent us two minutes after he is cap-tied.  Actually, cancel that (see Cavallini) ... even after they are cap-tied, I am not going to assume that they want to play for us until the morning of every match.

Edited by Addona

Forgive me if I don't hold my breath ... it's not that I don't think Aird will represent us, but we've been burned so many times that I will now only believe someone will represent us two minutes after he is cap-tied.  Actually, cancel that (see Cavallini) ... even after they are cap-tied, I am not going to assume that they want to play for us until the morning of every match.

Lmao the morning of the match. not even if they're in camp. heck I wont believe until they actually step foot on the field during a game... im looking at you begovic