Tesho Akindele

Did he decline the invite to the Canada camp because Dallas were still involved in the playoffs or is there more to it and he is keeping open the option of playing for the US?

"I guess a little bit of both," Akindele admitted honestly to AFTN. "Right now I was just kind of focused on the playoffs and it just wasn't the right time for me to go into the camp I felt after talking to some people close to me.

"But I talked to Canada. They know how I feel about it, so I think it's on good terms just now."

So what I get from this is:

- his decision to not play this friendly was in part because Dallas were still in the play-offs, but in part because he doesn't have his US passport yet and he didn't want to close off that option.

- he's hoping to play for USMNT.

- he feels Canadian or at least like a dual citizen (a fair enough statement given his history), and would be happy to play for Canada if he doesn't catch on with the USA.

Status quo then.

As is often the case, what isn't said is often more important than what is said. The glaring omission from this piece is the obvious question, "have you been in contact with the USMNT?" The lack of clarity on that one suggests to me that he has.

So like I said, status quo... USMNT hopeful... keeping his options open... would consider a Canada call if that doesn't work out.

Edited by A_Gagne

Maybe we should just chill out a bit every time a player is not called to a friendly, and focus who is called instead. It seems that folks here freak out if someone with any level of talent is not called, whether they are cap-tied to Canada or not. Will Johnson isn't on the roster? He's an American who doesn't feel Canadian, TRAITOR! Lucas Cavallini isn't on the roster? He doesn't care about Canada, TRAITOR? Osorio isn't on the roster? TFC won't release the players Canada needs, TRAITOR!

It's an understandable reaction given the number of very talented players in the past who have spurned the national team, but it just gets tiring to read over and over again with every friendly that goes by. It's also disrespectful to those who have agreed to wear the Canada shirt and be damn proud to do so. If a player with enough talent to make the national team puts on the shirt of another nation, then by all means, direct your vitriol to the player in question.

And this includes myself, reflecting back upon my own overreaction to Bustos being called to the Chile U-20 camp.

Edited by shermanator

Maybe we should just chill out a bit every time a player is not called to a friendly, and focus who is called instead. It seems that folks here freak out if someone with any level of talent is not called, whether they are cap-tied to Canada or not. Will Johnson isn't on the roster? He's an American who doesn't feel Canadian, TRAITOR! Lucas Cavallini isn't on the roster? He doesn't care about Canada, TRAITOR? Osorio isn't on the roster? TFC won't release the players Canada needs, TRAITOR!

It's an understandable reaction given the number of very talented players in the past who have spurned the national team, but it just gets tiring to read over and over again with every friendly that goes by. It's also disrespectful to those who have agreed to wear the Canada shirt and be damn proud to do so. If a player with enough talent to make the national team puts on the shirt of another nation, then by all means, direct your vitriol to the player in question.

And this includes myself, reflecting back upon my own overreaction to Bustos being called to the Chile U-20 camp.

Yep. It is almost ridiculous.

Well even if he does play for the USMNT in a friendly he wouldn't be cap tied to them. So Im sure this saga will drag on until at least the summer, when WCQ or Gold Cup can officially cap tie him to Canada or the US.

If he played for us in a friendly while not having his US passport though, he would be cap tied to us. 

It should be noted that Akindele doesn't currently hold a US passport. Why is this important? Well, he could still attend a camp, just as Marco Bustos did with the Chilean U20s in the summer, but what it does mean is that under FIFA rules (and according to this article), he is technically not eligible to play for the US just now, so if he played for Canada (even in a friendly), he can't then make a one-time switch later if the US came-a-calling.

I still dont get why Ives and other sources claimed he was going to be on yesterdays roster. Didn't they know that he still doesn't have a US passport?

Edited by king1010

It sounds like this point Tesho truly hasn't decided which way he's going to go.  It does look like bad form on the CSA's part to try to call up a rookie in the middle of his first playoff run.  It's more important for a young player like Tesho to get 1st team minutes. 

I think we've seen with the Bustos situation and now with Tesho that we have to hold back the negative comments until there's something confirmed and final. 

It doesn't like Tesho has closed the door on playing for Canada so let's just wait.

Huh?  We are clearly Tesho's second choice.  How is it a problem that Canada called him mid -playoffs yet if the States did he would be there?  That MLS soccer article is pointless, read between the lines.

Don't fall for another fence sitter.. he's playing us.  I don't blame him but let's call it like it is.

Edited by Keegan

Not to side track this thread, but if Tisho turns out for us that would be great, but in terms of players potentially with both USMNT and CMNT options the guy I'm personally really hoping does turn out for us is Finlay.  

Finlay (24yrs old): Goals: 11 - 50 shots (22 on goal); plus 7 Assts; in 1898min

Tisho (22yrs old): Goals: 7 - 30 shots (16 on goal); plus 3 Assts; in 1748min

Better numbers, plus look more sustainable in terms of goals to shots ratio.

If Klinsmann were to go after one of them and miss the boat on the other, I would rather Finlay flies under his radar.

Edited by A_Gagne

Huh?  We are clearly Tesho's second choice.  How is it a problem that Canada called him mid -playoffs yet if the States did he would be there?  That MLS soccer article is pointless, read between the lines.

Don't fall for another fence sitter.. he's playing us.  I don't blame him but let's call it like it is.

How long did it take the US to get Jermaine Jones?

John Strong said on the Seattle v Dallas broadcast last night that Tesho has received his US Passport. Again, I have no problem with him choosing the US if he feels more American. My problem is with him giving the CSA the indication that he would be at this camp (as has been reported) and then turning it down.

The playoff game last night was just another example of how Tesho just does not have the quality to be a regular contributor on the USMNT. He was the worst player of Dallas's front four; maybe a slightly better than average MLS player, nothing more. A player of this level would still be an asset to us though. I say he would be challenging Ricketts for minutes as our starting striker.

For those who forgot why we were in a tizzy over Tesho and wrote an article bashing their fellow V's - it wasn't because we're a bunch of sadomasochists who can't appreciate what we have - it's because of these:

According to Luke Wileman he is rejecting a Canada call up due to interest from the USA. He is clearly not a smart man.

Seems like Akindele will go the route of Bunbury, choosing to be #USMNT fringe player rather than potential Canadian regular. Rugged.

That is just speculation, and as we have seen in this thread, it can often be wrong.

He accepted a call to their camp, got cut and has never been called back again. Unless you believe that he told them "hey, thanks for the invite to this camp but it's just not me. I want to play for Canada so i'm going to go home now and you can lose my phone #"?

John Strong said on the Seattle v Dallas broadcast last night that Tesho has received his US Passport. Again, I have no problem with him choosing the US if he feels more American. My problem is with him giving the CSA the indication that he would be at this camp (as has been reported) and then turning it down.

The playoff game last night was just another example of how Tesho just does not have the quality to be a regular contributor on the USMNT. He was the worst player of Dallas's front four; maybe a slightly better than average MLS player, nothing more. A player of this level would still be an asset to us though. I say he would be challenging Ricketts for minutes as our starting striker.

So he just got his passport. As of last week he didn't have it. Lets see if he gets called into the 2nd game or camp cupcake in Jan. Even if he does though, he can still use his one time switch back to Canada if he only plays friendlies for the US.

I think it would be cool to see an annual camp cupcake game between Canada and the US in January. Domestic and Scandinavian players being called in.

Edited by king1010

There always seems to be a fence sitter. Let's start ignoring the fence sitters and focus on those who have agreed to put on the Maple Leaf. Don't give Akindele, Hoilett, Findlay, etc any more attention until they choose to put on the shirt. Don't want to play for us? Fine, we don't care.

I'm excited as hell to see what Tissot, Teibert and Osorio do this time around. I'd rather focus on that then get up in arms over someone with a limited ability to help this team in the next round of qualification.

There always seems to be a fence sitter. Let's start ignoring the fence sitters and focus on those who have agreed to put on the Maple Leaf. Don't give Akindele, Hoilett, Findlay, etc any more attention until they choose to put on the shirt. Don't want to play for us? Fine, we don't care.

I'm excited as hell to see what Tissot, Teibert and Osorio do this time around. I'd rather focus on that then get up in arms over someone with a limited ability to help this team in the next round of qualification.

It's hard not to think of the possibilities of what could be and feel slighted, but I definitely agree and need to do this as well because I am excited about our youth teams and our young players on the MNT.

Why would we hold back the negative comments on Bustos? If the kid had been good enough he would be playing for Chile.

How do you know that?

Filling in the gaps with a lot of assumptions. 

Edited by VWFC

What was the point in going to the Chile camp?

I don't know the truth anymore than you or jpg75.  Publicly, it was to gain experience - a 'why not' mentality.  Privately we can only speculate.  I've said before that I personally thought it was a perfect storm of having the opportunity, Chile's performance at the World Cup, his father feeling a sense national pride, and a 18 year old making a poor decision and not realizing the affect it would have.

To say he definitely would be playing for Chile is an assumption, we just don't know and we wont ever know.

What we do know is that he is playing for Canada today, he's a great talent and for some reason doesn't get a pass for the decision he made, even though he's 18 years old.  Akindele, on the other hand, is talked about as a Canadian on this forum and is included in all Minutes by Canadians in the MLS etc., but has yet to accept our call up and has publicly stated he would prefer to play for the US.

Seems backwards to me. 

Edited by VWFC

No matter how young he was/is, Bustos is worst kind of traitors Canada ever had. When it was announced he was going to a Chile camp, there was a poster that mentioned that Bustos himself starting to post in a Chilean national football team forum to get some attention from them. My understanding is that he had a good U17 WC with Canada to be on Chile's radar. In other words, he used the program to try to get where he wanted, but it seems it didn't work.

IMO, the worst part of this story is that apparently, Bustos had the support of the Whitecaps management. There was a Voyageur poster that mentioned this first. Some Whitecaps posters ridiculed him. And then there was a poster who defended vehemently Bustos decision, cursing every other poster that expressed negative comments against Bustos. The way this poster did chose his words, anyone could conclude that he was a close friend of Bustos or a family member. He ridiculed everyone who had negative comments against Bustos decision insisting that even the Whitecaps management supported Bustos decision.

No matter how young he was/is, Bustos is worst kind of traitors Canada ever had.

wow.

When it was announced he was going to a Chile camp, there was a poster that mentioned that Bustos himself starting to post in a Chilean national football team forum to get some attention from them. My understanding is that he had a good U17 WC with Canada to be on Chile's radar. In other words, he used the program to try to get where he wanted, but it seems it didn't work.

I don't think any of that is true.  I 'believe' he was brought to the attention of Chile by assistant coach Martin Pert, who, having been in Canada for less than 6 months, may not have had a good understanding of the importance or fragility of the CMNT program.  Regardless, it was wrong. 

IMO, the worst part of this story is that apparently, Bustos had the support of the Whitecaps management. There was a Voyageur poster that mentioned this first.

Bustos said he had the support of the Caps staff.  Does that mean he was referring to Pert making the intro? or does it mean Robinson and Lenarduzzi were high five'in and giving the bird to the CSA?  Who knows, but I wouldn't read much into it, its a bit of sensationalism that a lot of people read WAY to much into. 

Some Whitecaps posters ridiculed him. And then there was a poster who defended vehemently Bustos decision, cursing every other poster that expressed negative comments against Bustos. The way this poster did chose his words, anyone could conclude that he was a close friend of Bustos or a family member. He ridiculed everyone who had negative comments against Bustos decision insisting that even the Whitecaps management supported Bustos decision.

Who cares?

I've said it before but we don't have the luxury to pick and choose.  If a country like DR Congo or the other French west african countries abandoned all the youngsters who had flirted with France/Belgium youth teams they'd be ruined...  and observers (including many of us) would question why they shoot themselves in the foot like that.

We don't really have the option to hold our players to an even higher standard.  Especially given our ranking.