Tesho Akindele

These USA squads are becoming so ridiculous. 6 Germans (Chandler, Brooks, Johnson, Jones, Green, Morales) and a Norwegian (Diskerud). Only Green has lived in the USA (until age 2). And now Jones.

Almost as bad a some guy with no familial ties to Holland whatsoever playing for their national team eh?

What we know:

He turned down Canada (likely at the last minute)

The US did not select him, despite selecting lower-league players

He states he is undecided at this moment with his team still in the playoffs and wants to defer the decision.

My speculation:

The decisions and actions he's made actually coincide with his comments in the article.

It's possible - especially with the lower-leagued strikers the US have called - that Akindele turned down the US call as well.

Akindele may have agreed initially to participate in the game with Canada not knowing when his upcoming, non-guaranteed playoff fixtures would be played. As a result he went back on his agreement after talking to people within his club that - reading between the lines - seems to have dissuaded him from playing for Canada.

My take is they said something like "you have plenty of time to play for Canada or the US. We still have a chance to win the MLS Cup and you should be concentrating on that for the time being. After this is over, do what you want - waiting isn't going to hurt you, in fact it'll allow you more time to make your decision with a legitimate excuse to give."

All in all, as Akindele says himself - it's all speculation. I personally think Akindele was persuaded to put club before country at this point because there's no personal benefit to him selecting now. If he scores back-to-back hattricks he's on the USMNT radar, If he fizzles out of the playoffs then Canada is a nice backup plan where it's guaranteed we will want him. Win-Win.

Ultimately, the foggy situation just got foggier lol.

colour me confused. I have no idea how this will play out. soccer by Ives had info from legit sources that he was going to be called up to the US team. did he turn them down too?

I tweeted to him saying he would get much more playing time for Canada not be much further in the pecking order. I'd like to think I changed his mind (i kid, i kid)

Edited by king1010

I doubt Akindele turned down a US call up as theorized above.

More likely he didn't make the cut but turned down Canada to keep his options open.

but Ives had info from credible sources that he was going to be on the Roster??

You say he probably didn't make the cut, but a Stanford college striker did and an NASL striker did. The cut must not be a straight line then. Rather something like this "-----------_________----------_____-------" lol

This could be a great drama tv show.

Edited by king1010

Almost as bad a some guy with no familial ties to Holland whatsoever playing for their national team eh?

If you're talking about JDG2, he has spent more time in Holland than those 7 combined have in the USA. But this topic has been beaten to death.

Tesho may still play for Canada. He may not, and I don't hold it against him if he chooses not to. It shouldn't make a huge difference to our near term prospects one way or another, as he is not significantly better than the options we now have at our disposal.

I doubt Akindele turned down a US call up as theorized above.

More likely he didn't make the cut but turned down Canada to keep his options open.

This...

And in thinking about this a little more, I would be surprised if he is called up to the UMNT in Jan considering the options they have in front of him:

*Dom Dwyer - I heard he's working on getting his passport

Gyassi Zardes

Aron Johannsson

Terrence Boyd

Brek Shea

Joe Gyau

Juan Agudelo

to name a few who are around his age, and who weren't included in the recent list.

This...

And in thinking about this a little more, I would be surprised if he is called up to the UMNT in Jan considering the options they have in front of him:

*Dom Dwyer - I heard he's working on getting his passport

Gyassi Zardes

Aron Johannsson

Terrence Boyd

Brek Shea

Joe Gyau

Juan Agudelo

to name a few who are around his age, and who weren't included in the recent list.

so why did they call an NASL kid and NCAA kid if the cut was so high that akindele didn't make it?

Also, I've heard from multiple sources that he received his passport last month.

Edited by king1010

Klinsmann will probably shuffle the roster since JJ and Nguyen have said they will only play the first game. Tesho may yet be called in.

this seems likely. He still has a game to play tonight. May need the extra few days to rest,

We'll have to see what changes are made after their 1st game.

Even if akindele is called up for the second game. I can't see him being anywhere close to a regular. And a friendly doesn't cap tie him.

so why did they call an NASL kid and NCAA kid if the cut was so high that akindele didn't make it?

Also, I've heard from multiple sources that he received his passport last month.

The NASL Kid has actually had a standout season on the best NASL team, scoring 9 goals, and 5 assists. 

The NASL Kid has actually had a standout season on the best NASL team, scoring 9 goals, and 5 assists. 

And the Stanford Kid?

Seems like the NASL kid definately deserves a call. But his stats may be skewed upwards if he was playing on the best team in the league. 

I think we should look at more NASL players though.

Edited by king1010

And the Stanford Kid?

Seems like the NASL kid definately deserves a call. But his stats may be skewed upwards if he was playing on the best team in the league. 

I think we should look at more NASL players though.

Klinsmann really likes the Stanford kid and it seems he wants him to sign in Europe. He's basically parading him around.

John Smits is the big one. He actually plays games. None of our other keepers do that.

Playing games is not standing out. By his stats he seems to have played 20 of 27 games for FC Edmonton. FC Edmonton seems to have finished close to the bottom in the spring and close to the top in the fall. Their goals against is a bit better than average. I have not watched enough to know his quality, but is he a stand out or has he just played many games?

Playing games is not standing out. By his stats he seems to have played 20 of 27 games for FC Edmonton. FC Edmonton seems to have finished close to the bottom in the spring and close to the top in the fall. Their goals against is a bit better than average. I have not watched enough to know his quality, but is he a stand out or has he just played many games?

I do believe he's up for golden glove. One of the best in the fall season.

Smits won the golden glove, which is for the lowest goals against amongst starting keepers. I think Edmonton's backline was just as big a factor as Smits in that stat being achieved.

Smits is a fine option as a #1 keeper, but I haven't seen any stand out performances in the dozen or so games I watched him in this year. Personally I thought Tyson Farago had the best game for the Eddies in the season finale. Calling Smits to the MNT simply because he is one of two who are actually getting games says more about our talent pool than anything else. 

Smits won the golden glove, which is for the lowest goals against amongst starting keepers. I think Edmonton's backline was just as big a factor as Smits in that stat being achieved.

Smits is a fine option as a #1 keeper, but I haven't seen any stand out performances in the dozen or so games I watched him in this year. Personally I thought Tyson Farago had the best game for the Eddies in the season finale. Calling Smits to the MNT simply because he is one of two who are actually getting games says more about our talent pool than anything else. 

What happened to the whole MNT philosophy that you had to be playing minutes to get called up? I guess thats out the door. Case in point de guzman and straith. Im not saying they shouldn't be called up. De Guzman has looked really good. Not sure how he still doesn't have a club, but id assume he waits to the January transfer window. I've also heard he'd consider coming back to MLS at 150 to 200K a year.