Tesho Akindele

I love how these players get all offended when Canada doesn't call them but then when they actually earn a call up from us they think "oh, well maybe I'm good enough for *blank*" and hold out. 

Like what is Akindele thinking?  .. he has a chance to be a 50+ cap international for Canada.  I don't want to hear this "well with the USA he could play in a World Cup" he has 2000x the chance of playing in a World Cup with Canada because there is no way he's making a USA roster for a World Cup... at best he's gonna be Eddie Johnson (who was left off the World Cup team). 

Just hilarious that a year ago he was playing Division II NCAA and would have killed someone for a Canada call even to a youth team and now he's gonna play this game?  Okay bud, have fun.

I love how these players get all offended when Canada doesn't call them but then when they actually earn a call up from us they think "oh, well maybe I'm good enough for *blank*" and hold out. 

Like what is Akindele thinking?  .. he has a chance to be a 50+ cap international for Canada.  I don't want to hear this "well with the USA he could play in a World Cup" he has 2000x the chance of playing in a World Cup with Canada because there is no way he's making a USA roster for a World Cup... at best he's gonna be Eddie Johnson (who was left off the World Cup team). 

Just hilarious that a year ago he was playing Division II NCAA and would have killed someone for a Canada call even to a youth team and now he's gonna play this game?  Okay bud, have fun.

Akindele is taking a high risk chance with potential for high payoff. He's so far behind US depth chart, and even Charlie Davies and Teal Bunbury who have been playing well for New England are higher than him right now IMO. And even among rookies, Akindele has to prove himself way better than German-American kids playing in Bundesliga reserve teams right now, considering Klinsmann prefers Europe based players.

But even getting in Camp Cupcake puts Akindele in US pool, and give Klinsy a chance to assess him. If Klinsmann likes him, he may not get call ups in serious games unless he goes on a bender. But he might get something down the line. Akindele is not looking for caps right away, but if Robbie Findley and Edson Buddle went to World Cup, Akindele has same chance at 27-28. Unlikely, but it's a risk.

And if Klinsmann tells him that he's not good enough, he comes back to Canada. Bit of realpolitik move on his part, and I don't think Floro will turn him down if Akindele wants to play for Canada in the future. 

I don't like that he's using Canada as a back up, but I do understand that Akindele made a career choice on what he thinks the best move for him is. He gave himself potentially more options by going US options, because you get noticed more as a Yank than a Canadian.

Akindele is taking a high risk chance with potential for high payoff. He's so far behind US depth chart, and even Charlie Davies and Teal Bunbury who have been playing well for New England are higher than him right now IMO. And even among rookies, Akindele has to prove himself way better than German-American kids playing in Bundesliga reserve teams right now, considering Klinsmann prefers Europe based players.

But even getting in Camp Cupcake puts Akindele in US pool, and give Klinsy a chance to assess him. If Klinsmann likes him, he may not get call ups in serious games unless he goes on a bender. But he might get something down the line. Akindele is not looking for caps right away, but if Robbie Findley and Edson Buddle went to World Cup, Akindele has same chance at 27-28. Unlikely, but it's a risk.

And if Klinsmann tells him that he's not good enough, he comes back to Canada. Bit of realpolitik move on his part, and I don't think Floro will turn him down if Akindele wants to play for Canada in the future. 

I don't like that he's using Canada as a back up, but I do understand that Akindele made a career choice on what he thinks the best move for him is. He gave himself potentially more options by going US options, because you get noticed more as a Yank than a Canadian.

I disagree. I think Floro will close the door on him if he comes crawling back.

That is a gigantic stretch. I would say at best he is 9/10 on that list (and that's only becuase Agudelo is clubless).

Should have been more clear. When I said "at best" I meant even if he continues to develop at an unbelievable rate his peak performance would be no better than 5th on that list. I don't see that happening obviously, I agree with most here that the likely scenario is that he gets one cap and then fades in obscurity. My point was how can Tesho and his people look at the Americans available player pool and say "Yup, Dempsy, Johannsson, Alidore and Tesho, all great options."

And yet I'm still unreasonably pissed at Bustos and don't trust him, still....

Guys like Bustos I'm more concerned about than the Akindeles as well.  Tesho grew up getting trained by the American system, from American funds.  He has spent half his life in America.

Compare that to Bustos.  I felt a lot more betrayed by Bustos than Akindele.  Just me though.

And yet I'm still unreasonably pissed at Bustos and don't trust him, still....

Guys like Bustos I'm more concerned about than the Akindeles as well.  Tesho grew up getting trained by the American system, from American funds.  He has spent half his life in America.

Compare that to Bustos.  I felt a lot more betrayed by Bustos than Akindele.  Just me though.

fair point

Edited by king1010

According to this article on the MLS website, Akindele was not called up by the US MNT? Klinsmann called an NASL striker over Akindele as well...

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Hamburg), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/11/10/usmnt-announce-roster-mls-players-colombia-ireland?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

Edited by shermanator

Unfortunately the reasoning from Akindele around why he turned down the call from Canada is very vague, doesn't do much to dissuade the reports out there that he turned Canada down after receiving interest from the US....

"It was a great call to get, but just at this time, it wasn’t right for me"