Canada announces preliminary roster for Gold Cup

David C.

Agreed...I'd slot Johnson on the left side and let him try a more offensive role in an offensive starved attack. That would push Jackson to the center in behind Cavallini.

I don't think we should forget Porter. If he still played for a Canadian team we'd all be in love with the guy by now, he's playing great football

Interesting that people are talking starting line ups now. I was thinking of this last night.

-----------------------Bojan---------------

Ledgerwood----Hainault------Edgar------De Jong

--------------DeGuzman---Johnson------------

--------------------Hutchinson----------------

Teibert--------------Cavallini-----------DeRosario

-Those of us closely following MLS should be in agreement that Teibert should be deployed on the right flank.

-DeRosario is best as an attacking midfielder or withdrawn striker, but when we play 4-3-3 he is usually on the left flank, and does a good job cutting in on his right foot. With Teibert doing the same on the right, I think we improve our combination play in the final 3rd of the field.

-Hutchinson as attacking center midfield gets him in more of an advanced position so he can properly support the offense. I think most would agree this is where we will get best value out of him.

-Johnson is the ball winner and has been playing this position for PTFC this season and is getting accolades. If it is not broke do not change it.

-DeGuzman in his traditional number 6 role where he can collect the ball from the backline and feed Hutchinson.

-Cavallini is the finisher in the box who works hard but is also a footballer and not just a target. If we use him as a target we will get in trouble. Those who also follow the USMNT may have noticed the emergance of Altidore recently. He stopped checking for the ball and instead started to make runs behind to get into dangerous areas like he does with AZ. I can see Cavallini being successfully used in a similar way.

-Backline picks itself, as does keeper.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised people still have De Guzman in their lineup's frankly.

In my opinion he is still a solid player, but he really isn't going to be here for the important games (2018 and 2022 World Cup Qualifiers). Same with De Rosario.

We want to have some of these guys around, but I think we really need to be blooding some of our younger players, while trying to avoid them being overwhelmed.

In my opinion he is still a solid player, but he really isn't going to be here for the important games (2018 and 2022 World Cup Qualifiers). Same with De Rosario.

We want to have some of these guys around, but I think we really need to be blooding some of our younger players, while trying to avoid them being overwhelmed.

I thought about replacing JDG with, say, Osorio, for more youth, but if we want to give ourselves the best chance of winning, I think he needs to be in the starting 11 as a DM. I think he can still do a good job there, with not much offensive responsibility.

I agree that DeRo should not start ... I just don't think he's one of our top 11 anymore (I hope I'm wrong). But he can come off the bench for 15-20 minutes if we need a goal (I'd certainly rather have him, and maybe REB, in that role than Ricketts).

I debated having Ledge at RB and moving Edgar to CB, but even if we did that, right now, I'd still put Jakovic and Nana ahead of Hainault for the other CB spot.

Despite his youth and after having made a few mistakes here and there, Piette could be considered for the other DM. He would learn a lot from being beside Johnson and his cannon of a shot is an offensive threat that I think we need. Agree with the REB discussion as well. Would like to see him get quite a few minutes again because we need to perk up our offense (to put it mildly).

I find DeGuzman too old, with not much left professionally. Piette is too young, and hasn't accomplished anything professionally. (He has more caps than pro games at the 4th tier). If you want two DM shielding the back 4, they need to be Will Johnson and Hutch, or maybe Pacheco/Bekker. We should be lining up as Portland does, with Teibert/Osorio playing Nagbe's role and pressuring up the pitch as much as possible.

The Scotland Sun article on Fraser Aird posted in the Fraser Aird thread sure make it sound like he hasn't necessarily accepted a call up to Canada. He may well be a speculative selection to the prelim squad.

About JDG, if he starts or doesn't start, I have no problems with it. I like Obinna's lineup, it can always be tweaked and adjusted, but from a positive attacking perspective, it certainly makes sense. I don't know about replacing JDG with Piette. Piette is still a little bit of one for the future, for me, not quite yet the present. Has to grow a bit, get a little more professional level ball in. And as high as I am on Aleman, same with him a bit.

I still think we could give Kyle Porter a serious look.

I find DeGuzman too old, with not much left professionally. Piette is too young, and hasn't accomplished anything professionally. (He has more caps than pro games at the 4th tier). If you want two DM shielding the back 4, they need to be Will Johnson and Hutch

This is what it should be. And I'd like to see Aleman in front of those two. That would be fun.

About JDG, if he starts or doesn't start, I have no problems with it. I like Obinna's lineup, it can always be tweaked and adjusted, but from a positive attacking perspective, it certainly makes sense. I don't know about replacing JDG with Piette. Piette is still a little bit of one for the future, for me, not quite yet the present. Has to grow a bit, get a little more professional level ball in. And as high as I am on Aleman, same with him a bit.

I still think we could give Kyle Porter a serious look.

Thanks. Lately I am of the mindset that we should start games in the GC with the best 11 regardless of age, and then sub in the youth accordingly, at least for the first game. If younger players earn their keep after game 1 and prove they should start, then I have no problem with them starting. I also think particular match ups may warrant young guys based on attributes (ex REB starting in DeRo's spot against an opponent that could be hurt with speed).

I disagree with the comment made by someone that deRosario is no longer a best 11 player for us. That being said the older players like him and deGuzman should be first to give way to Piette, Porter, REB, Osorio, or any young player who may fill those two spots. I do agree though that one could make a case for Pacheco over deGuzman, but I think Pacheco's competition would be Johnson or Hutchinson in that formation.

Regarding Hutchinson shielding the back four, I agree he would be better there than deGuzman, but then you compromise other areas of the field. In such a case our CAM would have to be Aleman (cannot see that happening but I would like to see him sub on), deRosario (then we need to start REB at LAM), or maybe Pacheco (probably the best solution). Question then becomes: is Hutchinson as DM and Pacheco at CAM > deGuzman as DM and Hutchinson at CAM?

Regarding Hutchinson shielding the back four, I agree he would be better there than deGuzman, but then you compromise other areas of the field. In such a case our CAM would have to be Aleman (cannot see that happening but I would like to see him sub on), deRosario (then we need to start REB at LAM), or maybe Pacheco (probably the best solution). Question then becomes: is Hutchinson as DM and Pacheco at CAM > deGuzman as DM and Hutchinson at CAM?

Two DMs mean one can always get forward. This is the way Portland plays. Will has 5 goals playing as a "shield."

Two DMs mean one can always get forward. This is the way Portland plays. Will has 5 goals playing as a "shield."

I absoutely agree. Sometimes one DM will sit more than the other though. In our case that would likely be deGuzman (or at least it should be since he appears to have lost a lot of his offensive ability).

In my line up selection a few pages back I originally had DeGuzman, but I dropped him in favour of Pacheco. Pacheco can defend and he has a really solid range of forward passing. He seems a solid two way player who deserves more of a look in CM.

This Aird call up is really iffy. For example, Jordan Hamilton posted a pic of the two together saying, congrats on the call up, and then suddenly took it down.. Instagram dictates everything.

Hopefully Aird will accept the call-up and Hamilton will post a picture that says "We're back bitches."

Wouldn't they talk to Aird and ask him if he's going to accept the call-up before they post?

Why would they include him if he is unsure or doesn't want too.

Because it's a 35 man roster. It'll have to be pared down no matter what.

13 players will be left off. No harm in using 1 or 2 of those spots as speculative.

Shows him we're serious. If he refuses, then that's got to be it.

Yeah but how are we to know the difference between Aird's refusal, or whether he was actually just one of those that was pared down?

That would most likely be mentioned during the actual roster release media availability. I'm certain one of the CSN boys would make sure this is discussed.

Based on Miller's comments on Aird, if Aird accepts then he'll have a spot. If he doesn't, then Canadian Soccer will move on.

Based on Miller's comments on Aird, if Aird accepts then he'll have a spot. If he doesn't, then Canadian Soccer will move on.

I'm just surprised the CSA released a roster, preliminary though it is, including a player whose allegiance is still in question and might not show up. I would have asked Aird about his interest before adding his name. Might as well include Hoilett Jr while we're at it :). It doesn't look good when the player does not turn out. Anyway, we'll see what transpires in a few weeks.

I'd go for something like this:

-----Cavalinni-----------Jackson-------

--------------De Rosario----------------

----Johnston---Hutchinson---Tiebert--

De Jong---Attakora---Edgar---Hainault

------------------Borjan---------------------

We can knock De Guzman, but he's still very hard to take out of the starting lineup. Same with De Rosario.

I'm just surprised the CSA released a roster, preliminary though it is, including a player whose allegiance is still in question and might not show up. I would have asked Aird about his interest before adding his name. Might as well include Hoilett Jr while we're at it :). It doesn't look good when the player does not turn out. Anyway, we'll see what transpires in a few weeks.

Everybody is going to interpret it their own way. If someone is predisposed to blaming the CSA for everything short of world hunger (not saying you are, but there are others here who do that), then if Aird doesn't show up they'll think that the CSA is amateurish for wasting a spot on someone that won't be there. However, other more optimistic types can view this as the CSA doing what they can to force the hands of those that are on the fence.

I like to believe that the reason the CSA had released this preliminary roster was for that very reason. This way no one can say that the CSA didn't do enough to entice this kid should he finally move on. If the CSA doesn't release the prelim. roster, no one would be talking about Aird and whether or not he is even on the CSA's radar.

This is noteworthy: As of 5 days ago, if you looked at Aird's profile on soccerway, it listed his nationality as scottish, and country of birth as Scottish. On transfermarkt.co.uk, it listed his place of birth as Glasgow and his nationality as Scottish.

As of today, if you look, and as far as I know soccerway tries to list your nationality as by your current passport...Fraser Aird is listed as Canadian. And place of birth as Scotland.

On transfermarket, it lists his place of birth now as Toronto, Canada. And still lists his nationality as Scottish.

5 days ago, there was no evidence that Aird was Canadian at all. Not saying to read a lot into this, but I thought you guys might find it noteworthy.

I'd go for something like this:

-----Cavalinni-----------Jackson-------

--------------De Rosario----------------

----Johnston---Hutchinson---Tiebert--

De Jong---Attakora---Edgar---Hainault

------------------Borjan---------------------

We can knock De Guzman, but he's still very hard to take out of the starting lineup. Same with De Rosario.

That is a very interesting line up. I like that it gets Jackson involved because as we know he has more success when he is paired with another striker. Jackson is less effective out wide in a 4-3-3. The other debatable parts would be Attakora over Henry. I many be alone in this but I think Henry should be ahead of Attakora in our depth chart, as he is better on the ball and has equal aerial ability, recovery speed, and is 4 years younger. Also, I don't know if we will see Hainault as a FB (not that he couldn't get the job done, I think they feel he is better as a CB).

Archived