Canadians in MLS (2013 Season)

mulliganl

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and i guess we can lay to rest the notion of evaluating a player on how they do in a training match against a CIS squad.

lol...I remember a few people here doing that.

I was watching the TFC match but anytime I switched to the Whitecaps match De Vos was praising Teibert.

His vision...it's a good thing Rennie evaluated him properly and not let it go to waste at left back. He's a composed player that knows who to pass to before he even gets the ball. That's something every play-making midfielder needs to become world-class like Pirlo, Banega or Riquelme.

lol...I remember a few people here doing that.

His vision...it's a good thing Rennie evaluated him properly and not let it go to waste at left back. He's a composed player that knows who to pass to before he even gets the ball. That's something every play-making midfielder needs to become world-class like Pirlo, Banega or Riquelme.

Problem with Russell out wide is that he does not have blistering pace. He is fast, but not Josh Simpson fast. Also, he is very attack-minded, which can be a liability wide left when a good part of that role is defensive. And plus his offensive skills are partially lost out wide. But he plays a bit like the wee Spanish midfielders who are dominating the game these days, and those fellas tend to slot into the middle of the pitch. I thought he was very very good yesterday. He will learn much with Reo-C just behind him. Reo-C is a fan of Tiebert, and if they can forge a strong partnership, then that will bode will for the team and for Russell. he will only grow with all this game experience. Good vision, great passing, covered a lot of ground and never stopped running, good dead ball delivery. Lots to like.

Good vision, great passing, covered a lot of ground and never stopped running, good dead ball delivery.

I haven;t seen any of his performance but if others have seen what you have, this is very promising. Good for him, as it must have been a tough past year or so. I'm chuffed for him.

Teibert may be better suited for the middle long term but I see him as a left winger for the MNT at the present time. He doesn't have blistering pace no, but he is still a very quick player and his delivery from crosses is excellent so he definitely has a use out wide. With Simpson out we don't have a left foot that can do that at present time.

Not watching the game so just going by the MLS site but don't Montreal have Ouimette and Bernier playing?

Yes and Tissot also made his MLS debut in midfield. He is listed as coming in at minute 88 but I thought he came in about 5 minutes earlier. He looked pretty good while he was on the pitch.

A better outing for Ouimette than last week. A couple of mistakes at the beginning and he has a bit of trouble knowing how to play an attacker make a break towards goal when both are running towards the goal but for the most part he was pretty solid.

For the second match in a row Camara cost us a goal. I would like to see Brovsky moved over and Tissot given a chance on the right.

While I thought NRC was MOTM for the Caps yesterday Teibert played much better in his second outing. At left mid he is good but forget left back. Not strong enough defensively and if you make a mistake at LB/RB the player is in the box with the ball passing or shooting. He relies on his hussle and back checking to recover which works great in midfield but not at LB/RB. I thought the best play of the game was when he drew 2 defenders on the right side then pivots and chips a left footer 10 feet to a breaking YP Lee who had a great shot at goal. Crafty, creative, effective and but for a great save an assist. His constant harassing the other team's players forced lots of premature passes and bad receptions. That is most effective in center mid. I hope he plays CM for our MNT. He has a ways to go but I think he could be mainstay at CM for us.

PS. Don't be too dissapointed if he doesn't start every game. I think the squad will get a lot more rotation this year than last year.

Originally Posted by tmcmurph View Post

PS. Don't be too dissapointed if he doesn't start every game. I think the squad will get a lot more rotation this year than last year.

Nice try, rotation. You know if he doesn't start every game it is because Vancouver hates Canadians!

Nice try, rotation. You know if he doesn't start every game it is because Vancouver hates Canadians! ;)

There I fixed it for you.

I've already seen more rotation than most of last year. Last year Rennie waited until injuries and exhaustion set in before trying different things. He is taking a lot of looks at the younger players and not just as subs. It is a good opportunity for a lot of them.

Watched the Impact game and Ouimette looked good. Nice to have Nesta beside you. The announcers were saying that Nesta thinks this will be his last year. Too bad. He still looks good out there. Ivan: Was the mistake the one on the corner kick where the Crew player muffed a clear volley wide? I don't know if that was his man or the LB.

Y'all need to see Will Johnson's game winning free kick. He played 90 in the 1-0 win over San Jose and Attakora played 27 minutes.

Great goal. More importantly though, his role on that team is the type of role I want our national team players to have on their club teams. That is his midfield. He is in charge of the set pieces, the penalties.

So often we see our players on decent clubs, and even though they may be getting playing time, they are just complimentary players. Will definatly has a much lorger role in Portland than he did in Salt Lake and hopefully this will help his game.

Originally Posted by tmcmurph View Post

Nice try, rotation. You know if he doesn't start every game it is because Vancouver hates Canadians!

There I fixed it for you.

I've already seen more rotation than most of last year. Last year Rennie waited until injuries and exhaustion set in before trying different things. He is taking a lot of looks at the younger players and not just as subs. It is a good opportunity for a lot of them.

Watched the Impact game and Ouimette looked good. Nice to have Nesta beside you. The announcers were saying that Nesta thinks this will be his last year. Too bad. He still looks good out there. Ivan: Was the mistake the one on the corner kick where the Crew player muffed a clear volley wide? I don't know if that was his man or the LB.

No. He charged in the one time on Higuain who easily slotted the ball behind him for a clear shot on goal. Probably could have received more help from his fellow defenders, as he was probably right to limit Higuain's time on the ball.

Great goal. More importantly though, his role on that team is the type of role I want our national team players to have on their club teams. That is his midfield. He is in charge of the set pieces, the penalties.

So often we see our players on decent clubs, and even though they may be getting playing time, they are just complimentary players. Will definatly has a much lorger role in Portland than he did in Salt Lake and hopefully this will help his game.

Agreed, he had a big role to play at RSL but here he is the man. Great news for Canada, when DeRo retires (if he ever does) Will is going to be the Canadian face of MLS. Watched the whole match, thought Will was good but his off the ball movement left something to be desired at times and I think he could have put himself in better positions to receive the ball and dictate the game from midfield but of course he is just getting used to Porter's system and I think with time he'll be better.

No. He charged in the one time on Higuain who easily slotted the ball behind him for a clear shot on goal. Probably could have received more help from his fellow defenders, as he was probably right to limit Higuain's time on the ball.

Yes there were a couple of mistakes he made that were dangerous though if I remember correctly they were all near the start of the game and he settled down afterwards. I don't recall any blunders by him after roughly the first 20 minutes. Ouimette was a last minute replacement for Ferrari after Ferrari pulled a muscle during the warm-up so nice to see him able to come in cold without preparation. It is especially valuable since his previous start did not go well and sitting on the bench for many games after a bad match can really hurt a young player's confidence. Getting in there right away after the last match and having a good performance should really help him mentally even if he does not get any more starts for a while.

I do think that, down the road, Teibert could play wide left for Canada as that Martin Nash-style player who makes up for his lack of speed with cleverness and precise timing which allows him to make an impact against all but the best national teams. But the middle seems to be a great position for him, and it's not like we have loads of midfield playmakers.

So, as predicted, the Morgan suspension meant that TFC started zero Canadians today. Is that a first for them?

No, there have been a couple of other games in the team's history where no Canadians started - I can recall one a couple of years ago where Zavarise was the only Canadian play for TFC in a game where he came on in the last 15 minutes, which remains the closest that TFC have come to playing a game without though it's one of the closest the team has ever come to not playing any Canadians at all. The TFC streak for having played at least one Canadian remains alive 7 seasons in as Osorio comes off the bench for the last 20 minutes, and Doneil Henry for the last 5 in TFC's 4th consecutive draw with a goal scored in the last 5 minutes (either by them or by the opposition).

No, there have been a couple of other games in the team's history where no Canadians started - I can recall one a couple of years ago where Zavarise was the only Canadian play for TFC in a game where he came on in the last 15 minutes, which remains the closest that TFC have come to playing a game without though it's one of the closest the team has ever come to not playing any Canadians at all. The TFC streak for having played at least one Canadian remains alive 7 seasons in as Osorio comes off the bench for the last 20 minutes, and Doneil Henry for the last 5 in TFC's 4th consecutive draw with a goal scored in the last 5 minutes (either by them or by the opposition).

Was at the game today. Osorio was great when he came on. Henry was fine when he came on.

I'm just starting to watch the Caps game. The commentator said Camilo was MOTM last week? Besides the penalty, he was the worst player on the team. Wow...

Was at the game today. Osorio was great when he came on. Henry was fine when he came on.

I'm just starting to watch the Caps game. The commentator said Camilo was MOTM last week? Besides the penalty, he was the worst player on the team. Wow...

Henry made a crucial mistake giving away our last possession needlessly which lead to the eventual corner and winner. I'm still in disbelief about what happened.

Archived