Canadians in MLS (2013 Season)

mulliganl

The only Canadian team to start a Canadian today is...

...Vancouver.

We're through the looking glass here, gentlemen.

Funny how that's the game this weekend I watched in full and didn't fast forward through. TFC got 0% of my attention this week.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May 2

-Will Johnson played 90 minutes in Portland's 0-0 draw with New England.

May 4

-Nana Attakora played 90 minutes in the 2-2 draw between San Jose and Montreal. Patrice Bernier subbed on for the final 17 minutes.

-Russell Teibert played 90 minutes in Vancouver's 2-0 loss to Real Salt Lake.

All three Canadians in the starting lineup for DCU tonight.

The good: Kyle Porter has been excellent. High work rate, good in tight space, efficient touches, he's really upped his game.

The bad: Dero having a bit of a blah game. Everything is just slightly off

The ugly: Jakovic has made several errors, one minor and one major that both led to houston goals. Think he's having one of those low-confidence spells you see from him on occasion.

The good: Kyle Porter has been excellent. High work rate, good in tight space, efficient touches, he's really upped his game.

Colin Miller is an evil genius with his motivational ways. I bet he's smugly smirking in some underground lair while petting his hairless cat (and no that's not a euphemism).

Russell had a memorable move late in the game. He was playing down the right side and was seemingly trapped by 2 defenders. With some very slick dribbling and quick change of direction he beat them both and attacked the box. No ruck, hack the ball loose and run for it. That was some nice dribbling & movement skills. He has done that twice this year. We need more of that. Given that YP Lee is a natural lefty I've wondered about Russell at RB. Klazura is okay but doesn't strike me as the replacement guy for YP. Russell's biggest drawback at either RB or LB is his defending around the box. He gets beat way too much. Oh well all in time. He is progressing in a lot of his game after hitting a plateau a while back. Good to see the wheels back on.

Russell had a memorable move late in the game. He was playing down the right side and was seemingly trapped by 2 defenders. With some very slick dribbling and quick change of direction he beat them both and attacked the box. No ruck, hack the ball loose and run for it. That was some nice dribbling & movement skills. He has done that twice this year. We need more of that. Given that YP Lee is a natural lefty I've wondered about Russell at RB. Klazura is okay but doesn't strike me as the replacement guy for YP. Russell's biggest drawback at either RB or LB is his defending around the box. He gets beat way too much. Oh well all in time. He is progressing in a lot of his game after hitting a plateau a while back. Good to see the wheels back on.
I much prefer Russel in the middle of the pitch. he's got pace, but not the blistering sort one needs for the wings.

I much prefer Russel in the middle of the pitch. he's got pace, but not the blistering sort one needs for the wings.

True. He had drifted out wide right (and left a few times) but that was part of the players shifting as far as I could tell. I don't think he has speed to play wing but YP Lee and Rochat are not speed daemons. If he could learn to defend better he could play RB when Lee retires. Russell has shown some excellent back to the sideline breakout dribbling skills. Not consistently yet but enough to make me think he could do it. Now about that defending....

All three Canadians in the starting lineup for DCU tonight.

The bad: Dero having a bit of a blah game. Everything is just slightly off

The ugly: Jakovic has made several errors, one minor and one major that both led to houston goals. Think he's having one of those low-confidence spells you see from him on occasion.

Yes. Jakovic was awful and hasn't been playing well for some time.

YP Lee is not a natural left footer, he's right footed and you wont see Teibert at LB or RB anytime soon.

May 8

-Patrice Bernier played 90 minutes in Montreal's 2-1 loss to New York.

-Will Johnson played 90 minutes for Portland in their 1-1 draw with FC Dallas.

-Jonathan Osorio subbed on for the final 13 minutes in TFC's 2-1 loss to San Jose.

May 8

-Patrice Bernier played 90 minutes in Montreal's 2-1 loss to New York.

-Will Johnson played 90 minutes for Portland in their 1-1 draw with FC Dallas.

-Jonathan Osorio subbed on for the final 13 minutes in TFC's 2-1 loss to San Jose.

Henry also played 90 min for TFC vs SJ.

Great to see Russell sort out his Lower Earth Orbit shooting problem and put 2 in the net. If he can learn to defend I really think he could be our replacement for YP Lee. He just works the right side so well. Damned impressive showing by him today. Coming in at the 12 minutes mark for an injured Kobayashi and fore checking his ass off. That is the type of forward pressure we need (both Caps and MNT). Then to top it off he buries 2 chances. Sweet indeed. I really think he could be our replacement for YP Lee. That end to end wing role on the right and cutting in to his favoured left foot really is working.

not really. he's just very overrated and DC is getting killed on 250k? salary he is now on

Disagree. I think Jakovic has been very quality for DC the last couple of years with the occasional bad game here and there. This season however, whenever I watch the highlights it is just one mistake after another. Again tonight, he loses Hassli who sets up the first goal for Dallas.

Great to see Russell sort out his Lower Earth Orbit shooting problem and put 2 in the net. If he can learn to defend I really think he could be our replacement for YP Lee. He just works the right side so well. Damned impressive showing by him today. Coming in at the 12 minutes mark for an injured Kobayashi and fore checking his ass off. That is the type of forward pressure we need (both Caps and MNT). Then to top it off he buries 2 chances. Sweet indeed. I really think he could be our replacement for YP Lee. That end to end wing role on the right and cutting in to his favoured left foot really is working.

I get the feeling you really think he could be your replacement for YP Lee.

I get the feeling you really think he could be your replacement for YP Lee.

Kind of obvious isn't it ;) I'll stop with that line and start comparing him to Dani Alves now ;)

Having seen Russell play on the left, middle and right I really think he is most effective on the right. While lacking the sprinter's speed of a Hurtado or Manneh his control and quickness work great with his back to the sideline. His offensive play does remind me of YP Lee a lot. Great control and dribbling, very quick change of direction with the ball and able to take on a player 1v1 (hell twice this year he took on 2 and beat them). Add to that the cutting into the middle and shooting with his dominant left foot you have a real threat. His crosses are also very pinpoint with great trajectory.

Archived